Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crescent Badges worn by Wheat's Battalion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crescent Badges worn by Wheat's Battalion?

Hello,

I was recently reading an article by Ross Brooks entitled, "Part Irish and the Rest the Flower of Southern Chivalry: Clothing, Arms, and Equipment of the 1st Special Battalion of Louisiana Infantry, 1861-1862". The article goes into detail about the uniforms of the different companies that comprised the battalion, but one small excerpt from the information has me stumped. The article references a distinctive badge that was worn on the breast by members of the batallion, and there is reference to a diary entry dated May 24th 1862 from a Lucy Buck of Front Royal, VA,

"Presently Captain Gardner [sic] of the N[ew] O[rleans] Battalion came in. He wore the badge of the battalion one of the prettiest imaginable designs- a little silver crescent in the concavity of which revolved a silver star upon a pivot on which was inscribed on one side "The Star Battalion from the Crescent City" in a revolution- on the reverse side "Wheat's New Orleans Battalion." It was a cunning little ornament and I really coveted it."

I copied the quote from the article exactly as it appears, and I am certainly intrigued by the description of the badge. It is the first and only time that I've seen reference to badges being worn by the Battalion, and I was wondering if anyone else could shed some further light on this. I think at the very least that this is a fascinating little bit of information, and it would be interesting to see these badges reproduced by a quality maker.
    Last edited by WV_Reb; 03-21-2018, 03:11 AM. Reason: Fixing indentation
    Robert M. Farley
    24th VA Inf. (New River Rifles)

"Let us cross over the river and rest under the shade of the trees"
    - Thomas J. Jackson

Ancestors of Note:

Pvt. James R. Farley- Co. I, 60th VA Inf. C.S.A (3rd Great Uncle)

Re: Crescent Badges worn by Wheat's Battalion?

There is a picture of a Louisiana badge that fits this descriptionn (shape-wise) in Echoes of Glory.
    Last edited by jtrotta; 03-21-2018, 07:18 AM.
    John Trotta

Comment

Re: Crescent Badges worn by Wheat's Battalion?

Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
      X