SNY belt plate--what do I have here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SNY belt plate--what do I have here?

OK all of you belt plate collectors, I have one for you.

I picked up an SNY belt plate for a good price and a show last weekend. I had been poking around for quite awhile looking for one, examining photographic material, books and etc to distinguish fakes from originals. I think that I have a pretty good handle on it, but not 100%

Soooooo.... I pick up this plate. Most plates are puppy paw, this is arrow hooks. I have O'Donnell's book, and of course, it doesn't really fit the the plates he illustrates. It is 55mm x 86mm (with in .5mm each way of O'Donnell's measurements). It would likely be late war (due to the arrow hooks) but it is an early war die stamp used by the maker Pittman. The stamp is not quite crisp but consistent with some examples I have seen. It has a honey patina and appears aged on the back. The hooks are rounded a bit and the tongue is short and straight. (SEE THE PHOTOS) There are two pics with a repro on top and the plate in question on the bottom.

I have seen that belt plates do not fall into any specific categories per se, but generally have parameters that certain types and styles fall into. O'Donnell's book amply illustrates this point. NOT an exact science by any stretch of the imagination. Having said all of this, what the heck do I have here?
    Attached Files
    Douglas Urbanski
    1st Minnesota Volunteer Infantry
    Mess No. 1

Ancestors:
    William Miller, Co A, 89th New York Vol Inf
    Cyrus Benjamin, Co G, 30th Wisconsin Vol Inf
    David Wilcox, Co C, 146th Illinois Vol Inf
    Arthur McAlister, Corporal, Co B, 5th MN Infantry and 1st LT, Co D 1st MN Heavy Artillery

Re: SNY belt plate--what do I have here?

Its safe to say you have a SNY Belt buckle but I would say it looks like a model re-adjusted, the prongs (clips) have been moved inwards, compared to mine anyway. It is a great mystery what you have but im sure its just another version of a late war model of the belt.
    Robert Dickson, 2nd Lt. 69th New York, Company C UK

Comment

Working...
    X