Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help on Shiloh for Presentation and Research - Uniforms & Firearms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help on Shiloh for Presentation and Research - Uniforms & Firearms.

Hello, This is Tom Arliskas, author Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown notes on Confederate Uniforms. I have been selected to be a speaker at the Annual Kenosha Civil War Museum Seminar. The topic this year is Shiloh... They want me talk about the Common Soldier and the material culture of the two Armies who fought there. I do have notes on the Louisiana troops and others, but uniform and clothing research on Shiloh is nil. Even in my book I made the claim that uniform and clothing descriptions are sparse. I have been in contact with the Park Historian at Shiloh and he has told me the Park has not done or received a comprehensive study on the Arms, uniforms, worn and used at Shiloh. I have the Illinois, some Indiana, some Ohio, some Iowa, some Missouri, from letters, diaries or Regimental Historys', on uniforms, but am looking for more. I do have some good research on Ohio firearms by Regiment, some Indiana, and some Iowa, and other States. The Confederates are a little harder to find-- The Troops were under Commutation at the time, and were pulling from Memphis-Nashville, New Orleans and Columbus, Ga. Donations for clothing also important-- and State operations to clothe volunteers. Anything the experts out there can share would be appreciated. Over the years the AUTHENTIC CAMPAIGNER has been the source for actual CW research... and still is... If you wish to share-- my goal is to put into a package for the Park a research project on the clothing and uniforms worn by both the Confederates and the Union Forces who fought there. I promise to get something done by August this year as the talk is in September... I have found over my 50 years of doing research there is always someone out there who knows more than I do-- but, they won't tell you until after the presentation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All is well-- and Thank You-- Your Pard on all things Civil War History.

Tom Arliskas
    CS Uniforms
    President of the Milwaukee Civil War Round Table
    Past N-SSA Uniform Committee
    Past President West Side Soldiers Aid Society
    and more.
    Tom Arliskas

Re: Need help on Shiloh for presentation and research uniforms and firearms.

The Ohio Historical Connection in Columbus has the typed copies of A.S. Bloomfield's Civil War letters. Bloomfield was in Battery A, 1st Ohio Light Artillery. The unit was at Shiloh, but it arrived too late on the field to participate in the battle. Regardless, on 21 October 1861, Bloomfield gave a pretty good description of their uniform while the unit was in Louisville, KY. "... two pairs of woolen socks, two pairs of drawers. The most of the boys have what is called reinforced pants. Mine are not. They are a blue wool. I have the same boots I had when I left home. They are good yet. My jacket is like that artillery jacket of Bradford's. Then I have a blouse which is a loose woolen coat. Then a great big overcoat with a cape on it. Our caps are good and has an oil cloth cover on it. I have also one good blanket that I got from the government. I bought one when I went through Cleveland. Have an oil cloth that will do good service over me when it rains and when we lay on the ground we put them under us... artillerymen do not need revolvers very much ... We have six cannon, five rifle and one smoothbore to throw grape shot ... there are 16 tents, and there are ten messes, each mess having three axes, three spades, three California picks. and a coil of rope."

From then until Shiloh, I saw no further mention of equipment or clothing issues either in Bloomfield's letters or in published letters to the newspaper.

One other item: In a letter to the editor of the Portage County Democrat on 22 February 1862, "G" (Russell Grover) wrote, "We have some new tents called Sibley tents and in a rain storm like we are passing through to-day, as usual, they are not entirely water proof."

I hope this helps.

Originally posted by csuniforms View Post
    Hello, This is Tom Arliskas, author Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown notes on Confederate Uniforms. I have been selected to be a speaker at the Annual Kenosha Civil War Museum Seminar. The topic this year is Shiloh... They want me talk about the Common Soldier and the material culture of the two Armies who fought there. I do have notes on the Louisiana troops and others, but uniform and clothing research on Shiloh is nil. Even in my book I made the claim that uniform and clothing descriptions are sparse. I have been in contact with the Park Historian at Shiloh and he has told me the Park has not done or received a comprehensive study on the Arms, uniforms, worn and used at Shiloh. I have the Illinois, some Indiana, some Ohio, some Iowa, some Missouri, from letters, diaries or Regimental Historys', on uniforms, but am looking for more. I do have some good research on Ohio firearms by Regiment, some Indiana, and some Iowa, and other States. The Confederates are a little harder to find-- The Troops were under Commutation at the time, and were pulling from Memphis-Nashville, New Orleans and Columbus, Ga. Donations for clothing also important-- and State operations to clothe volunteers. Anything the experts out there can share would be appreciated. Over the years the AUTHENTIC CAMPAIGNER has been the source for actual CW research... and still is... If you wish to share-- my goal is to put into a package for the Park a research project on the clothing and uniforms worn by both the Confederates and the Union Forces who fought there. I promise to get something done by August this year as the talk is in September... I have found over my 50 years of doing research there is always someone out there who knows more than I do-- but, they won't tell you until after the presentation!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All is well-- and Thank You-- Your Pard on all things Civil War History.

Tom Arliskas
    CS Uniforms
    President of the Milwaukee Civil War Round Table
    Past N-SSA Uniform Committee
    Past President West Side Soldiers Aid Society
    and more.
    James Brenner

Comment

The 15th Mississippi may have been wearing Tennessee State style Frocks. I've seen somewhere where they were issued clothing from Tennessee stocks after Mill Springs. Records show they were issued some Enfields as well just before the battle.

William MacDonald

Comment

Awesome and Thank You-- This is the type of research, or one type of research, letters, diaries, memoirs, that comes out in one or two sentence depictions that individually is interesting, but not comprehensive.
        It is very important that if you get 20 of these, and you put them together a thread or idea comes to light. This is all good research.

Tom Arliskas
        CSuniforms
        Thank You

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Mississippian View Post
        The 15th Mississippi may have been wearing Tennessee State style Frocks. I've seen somewhere where they were issued clothing from Tennessee stocks after Mill Springs. Records show they were issued some Enfields as well just before the battle.

William MacDonald
        Yes, The Nashville pattern frock coat as it is called was available to all the troops in Department No.2 if you wished to buy one. They could also been ordered by your Colonel or QM' ster then distributed and he took your Commutation money.$$$

Tom Arliskas
        CSuniforms
        Tom Arliskas

Comment

What I have found, except for Bragg's Louisiana Troops coming up from New Orleans and Pensacola, and a few from Polk's garrison at Columbus who pulled a lot of Nashville frocks out of Memphis and Nashville, the CS troops, generally, were described as half-uniformed. Walnut dyed jeans the most viewed type of cloth used, especially for Tennesseans and Mid-South Confederates. Many again were described as in civilian clothes, a result of the Great Appeal drives that winter, where Grandma and the girls sent out ready made and homespun to the boys. Lots of civilian blouses and common hats. The troops at Shiloh were dressed more like the Confederates who served at Fort Donelson and were captured. I have some clothing requisitions for the 20th Tennessee, 8th, 10th, and 11th Louisiana and they were pulling Commutation donated clothing in December of 1861 and March of 1862 in Corinth. All of it different prices for the same item like pants, coats, and of course different weights, colors, cuts, and fabric.-- So any given CS Company would show up for Morning Call dressed in a medley of garments. Will compile this with the proper footnotes and will make all of it available I promise.

Thomas Arliskas
          CSuniforms
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Sorry I do not have too much information about the 12th Michigan Infantry Regiment. Anyway this is cut from my data base.

The 12th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, a.k.a. the Quinn Regiment was mustered into federal service on March 15 1862 in Niles Michigan. The first regimental commander was Colonel Francis Quinn of Niles.

Their first issued uniforms were provided by the federal government, to include the boots and hats. This was part of a shipment of equipment sent to Captain Lee the US Army Quartermaster in Detroit from New York and Philadelphia. Captain received at that time 200 boxes of clothing, 3,000 suits in total, which had arrived for the 12th, 13th and 14 Infantry Regiments . One former member of Company D indicated that army blue uniforms were arriving in January of 1861.

A photograph of the 12th Regiment at Camp Barker (Niles Michigan) taken before the regiment left Michigan shows enlisted men in short dark blouses, most wear dark trousers but some wear light trousers. All wear dark hats. Only one enlisted man wears a frock coat. The green and gray blankets purchased for this regiment were worthless and quickly replaced.

An undated photograph of Stephen Marshall Hamlin of Company F shows him what appear to be a nine-button shell jacket or cut off frock coat. The cuffs possibly had horizontal piping. He wears what appear to be metal shoulder epaulets. His trousers are light. He wears a medium colored, but possibly red, fez with a lighter tassel.

They were issued part of the 4,000 Austrian rifled muskets that had recently arrived for 12th and 13th Regiment. Colonel Quinn issued 36 musketoons from the state armory, but what use they made of them is not known.

Detriot and other cities would have published some letters about Shiloh.
            William Carr

Comment

subscribed, this seems like a very interesting thread
              Mark Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Bill52 View Post
                Sorry I do not have too much information about the 12th Michigan Infantry Regiment. Anyway this is cut from my data base.

The 12th Michigan Volunteer Infantry Regiment, a.k.a. the Quinn Regiment was mustered into federal service on March 15 1862 in Niles Michigan. The first regimental commander was Colonel Francis Quinn of Niles.

Their first issued uniforms were provided by the federal government, to include the boots and hats. This was part of a shipment of equipment sent to Captain Lee the US Army Quartermaster in Detroit from New York and Philadelphia. Captain received at that time 200 boxes of clothing, 3,000 suits in total, which had arrived for the 12th, 13th and 14 Infantry Regiments . One former member of Company D indicated that army blue uniforms were arriving in January of 1861.

A photograph of the 12th Regiment at Camp Barker (Niles Michigan) taken before the regiment left Michigan shows enlisted men in short dark blouses, most wear dark trousers but some wear light trousers. All wear dark hats. Only one enlisted man wears a frock coat. The green and gray blankets purchased for this regiment were worthless and quickly replaced.

An undated photograph of Stephen Marshall Hamlin of Company F shows him what appear to be a nine-button shell jacket or cut off frock coat. The cuffs possibly had horizontal piping. He wears what appear to be metal shoulder epaulets. His trousers are light. He wears a medium colored, but possibly red, fez with a lighter tassel.

They were issued part of the 4,000 Austrian rifled muskets that had recently arrived for 12th and 13th Regiment. Colonel Quinn issued 36 musketoons from the state armory, but what use they made of them is not known.

Detriot and other cities would have published some letters about Shiloh.
                Thank You Bill! My search continues-- Shiloh is in a category all its own as a Battle-- Even the men who fought there commented it was simply a horrible experience for them. They shook it off as just part of the War. Island No. 10 got more press in the papers. Shiloh was a win for the Union side and the Confederates for weeks thought the same thing... The Battle did not bring the end to the Civil War as all had hoped in the West or the siege of Corinth. The troops were green, but were they not green at Bull Run or Wilson's Creek??
                Tom Arliskas
                CSuniforms
                Tom Arliskas

Comment

Hello, Still researching-- Have a lot of new information on CS firearms at Shiloh... Very interesting...

CSUniforms
                  Tom Arliskas
                  Tom Arliskas

Comment

Re: Need Help on Shiloh for Presentation and Research - Uniforms & Firearms.

Tom, I am curious on what sources you have come across. I am doing my own research project and am trying to get ordnance returns and any type of equipment lists for southern regiments in the west. What source have you found the most helpful? Thanks!
                    Steven Dacus
                    Casper, Wyoming
                    11th Ohio Cav (6th Ohio Cav: 1st Bat)

Comment

Hello, Finding out which Regiments received what in terms of firearms is a real challenge. The National Archives in Washington contain the Regimental drawers of microfilm which contains the Records, Q.M. Ordnance, for each Company. Some go back to 1861-- but most t start in 1862. I have some of these, but many I do not have. The Western Regiments are a work in progress. I have made several phone calls to different Museums, State Historical Societies, and collectors-- and YES! the Authentic Campaigner for information. I do not know if you are doing a specific Regiment, Brigade, or Division or Army-- I always start with just GOOGLE like "7th Mississippi muskets rifles canteens accoutrements" and see what pops up. If that is unsuccessful, I go to GOOGLE books and type in the same thing or a myriad of different titles like "Cleburnes AOT" and see what happens. Research can get really dirty and deep-- and time consuming. I also look at publications in print or out of print. I ask questions a lot, and always ask, "who is the guy or gal who knows about Mississippi Regiments that served in the West"? Be prepared to spend a lot effort and time into this type of research----- or you might get lucky and find someone who already has done it-- Please- if you need more help, let me know.

Tom Arliskas
                      CSuniforms
                      Tom Arliskas

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wisconsin Arms.png
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	225556

Hello-- Wisconsin arms issued by the State-- The 14th, 16th, and 18th Wisconsin had Dresden-Suhl Rifled muskets at Shiloh. A Class A firearm.
                        Tom Arliskas
                        CSuniforms
                        Tom Arliskas

Comment

Hello, This is the current list of what I have researched on CS firearms at Shiloh. Please fill in or correct me.

Notes on Firearms used by the different Confederate Regiments and Brigades at the Battle of Shiloh April 6-7th 1862.
                          Note* The results posted here is a work in progress to be updated when new research is found. The results are not final.
                          This is a simple compilation of what has been discovered. The footnotes are not included here, but will be part of a final paper or report to be given to the Shiloh NPS.
                          For the record, sources used were RG 109 Regimental Papers NA., The Wyckoff analysis done by the Shiloh NPS on firearms, Frederick Todd’s book on American Military Equipage, Official Records of the Civil War, and several other State and written sources from Civil War Study Groups, letters, papers, photographic evidence of original Confederate soldiers posing with their issued firearms, Regimental Histories, Confederate Veteran Magazine and memoirs.

1st Corp
                          Major General Leonidas Polk
                          Clark’s Division
                          Russell’s Brigade
                          11th Louisiana- evidence to the use of cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbores
                          12th Tennessee-evidence to the use of cap and ball and flintlock .69 caliber smoothbore muskets
                          13th Tennessee-evidence to the use of flintlock .69 caliber smoothbores, “we had old flintlocks, muzzle loaders with buck and ball.”
                          22nd Tennessee- initially flintlock .69 caliber smoothbores, early British smoothbores .70 caliber—possible issue of Enfield Rifles, before or picked up during the Battle.
                          Total—for the Brigade 2,650 smoothbores and a possible 800 with Enfield Rifles—research continues.

Stewart’s Brigade
                          13th Arkansas- evidence to use of cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbores
                          4th Tennessee-evidence to use of cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbores and an assortment of “old guns.”
                          5th Tennessee [35th Tennessee]-evidence to the use of cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbores, some Companies with civilian Rifles, Mississippi Rifles or 1855 Rifles, research continues-
                          33rd Tennessee- initially “shotguns, civilian hunting rifles”-issued flintlock .69 caliber smoothbores prior to Battle.
                          Total—for the Brigade 1,706 smoothbores, maybe 100 rifles, research continues.

Cheatham’s Division
                          Johnson’s Brigade
                          Blythe’s Infantry Mississippi, 7 Hall’s Rifles returned after the Battle— Co A. Sharp’s Rifles, Co B. shotguns, Co I. Civilian Rifles .32 caliber, and he rest old flintlock and cap and ball .69 caliber muskets.
                          2nd Tennessee Infantry, J. Knox Walker—UNKNOWN
                          15TH Tennessee Infantry, initially 744 men with flintlocks .69 caliber—mixed flintlock and cap and ball .69 caliber muskets during the Battle of Shiloh.
                          154th Tennessee Senior Infantry, Co. L armed with Maynard Rifles, the rest unknown.
                          2, 052 men in the Brigade—we know of 500 with smoothbores and 50-100 with Maynard Rifles .32 or .50 caliber.

Stephen’s Brigade
                          7th Kentucky Infantry, evidence to being armed with new Enfield Rifles prior to Battle.
                          1st Tennessee Infantry Battalion, some Companies with 1855 rifles, and the rest .69 caliber smoothbores
                          6th Tennessee Infantry, flintlock .69 caliber smoothbores and some cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbores.
                          9th Tennessee Infantry, flintlock .69 caliber smoothbores
                          1,620 men in the Brigade, estimated 600 with rifles, Enfield’s and Maynard’s, the rest 1020 with smoothbore muskets.

2nd Corp
                          Major General Braxton Bragg
                          Ruggle’s Division
                          Gibson’s Brigade
                          1st Arkansas Infantry, Fagan’s, Co. B with smoothbores
                          4th Louisiana, photo evidence to cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbores
                          13th Louisiana Infantry, evidence to the issue of 700 muskets, smoothbores, type unknown.
                          19th Louisiana Infantry, photo evidence to cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbores.
                          2,560 men with most smoothbores.

Anderson’s Brigade
                          1st Florida Infantry, “upon the Regimental formation…the Franklin Rifles received 1855 rifled muskets, [drilled initially with flintlock muskets], Confederate Government issued Model 1842 .69 caliber muskets, Pensacola Guards armed with a mixture of muskets.”
                          9th Texas Infantry, evidence to .69 caliber smoothbore muskets, some with shotguns.
                          17th Louisiana Infantry, evidence to some carrying .54 rebored civilian rifles, the rest UNKNOWN
                          20th Louisiana Infantry, UNKNOWN
                          Confederate Guards Response Battalion, 1,000 .58 caliber rounds issued- some had 1855 rifles, the rest UNKNOWN
                          1,633 men, 50-100 1855 rifled muskets, possible civilian rifles bored to .54 caliber, low numbers issued, estimated 426 with smoothbores, the rest UNKNOWN

Pond’s Brigade
                          16th Louisiana Infantry, photo evidence some Companies with Mississippi Rifles, and .69 caliber cap and ball muskets.
                          18th Louisiana Infantry, flank companies armed with rifles and the rest smoothbore muskets.
                          38th Tennessee Infantry, “I have armed Looney’s with Shotguns, Country Rifles, and old muskets [flintlocks?].”
                          Crescent Infantry, “5 Companies with 1819 Hall’s rifles .52 caliber, 2 Companies with smoothbore muskets, and 1 with shotguns.”
                          Orleans Guards Infantry Battalion, flank Companies with 1855 rifles and the rest Model 1842 .69 caliber cap and ball muskets.
                          2,644 men, 150-250 with Mississippi rifles, [250 with Hall’s Rifles .52 caliber], 100 with shotguns, and the rest approximately 2,044 with smoothbores.

Wither’s Division
                          Gladden’s Brigade
                          1st Louisiana Regulars, flank Companies .58 caliber 1855 rifled muskets, the balance .69 caliber smoothbore muskets
                          21st Alabama Infantry, UNKNOWN
                          22nd Alabama Infantry, armed with private purchase Enfield two band rifles and sword bayonets.
                          25th Alabama Infantry, issues of caps 2,000 and photo evidence to cap and ball .69 caliber muskets, and some shotguns.
                          26th Alabama Infantry, photo evidence to some Companies, flank, Mississippi Rifles and the balance .69 caliber cap and ball muskets smoothbores.
                          2,156 men, maybe 500-600 with rifles, and the rest approximately 1600 with .69 caliber smoothbore muskets.

Chalmer’s Brigade
                          5th Mississippi, issue evidence, 9,000 musket ball cartridges and 1,000 musket caps, and photo evidence smoothbore musket—Armed with .69 caliber cap and ball smoothbore muskets.
                          7th Mississippi Infantry, Co. F armed with Hall’s Rifles .52 calibler.
                          9th Mississippi Infantry, Co. D armed with Mississippi Rifles .54 caliber, other sources list Enfield Rifles issued prior to Shiloh.
                          10th Mississippi Infantry, evidence to all Rifles, Mississippi’s and 1855 Rifled muskets.
                          52nd Tennessee Infantry [plus segments of the 51st Tennessee], armed with shotguns and the 51st men, armed with Hall’s .52 caliber rifled muskets.
                          2,236 men estimated 1,000 Rifles, 400 shotguns, and 700-800 smoothbore muskets and UNKNOWN’s.

Jackson’s Brigade
                          2nd Texas Infantry, evidence to smoothbore muskets [more research forthcoming]
                          17th Alabama Infantry, UNKNOWN
                          18th Alabama, photo evidence to cap and ball conversion .69 caliber smoothbore muskets and Mississippi Rifles.
                          19th Alabama, photo evidence to Mississippi Rifles and conversion .69 caliber smoothbore muskets.
                          2,127 men, unknown number of Mississippi Rifles .54 caliber, maybe 200 to 300 and 1,500 smoothbore muskets. The 17th Alabama is an UNKNOWN.

3rd Corp
                          Major General William J. Hardee
                          Hindman’s Brigade
                          2nd Arkansas Infantry, initially issued smoothbores and Flintlock Hall’s Rifles .52 caliber. Issued new Enfield Rifles in November of 1861.
                          3rd Confederate Infantry, [18th Arkansas Infantry], armed with Enfield Rifles.
                          6th Arkansas Infantry, went into Battle with Model 1819 Hall’s flintlock rifled muskets, .52 caliber.
                          7th Arkansas Infantry, went into Battle with Model 1819 Hall’s flintlock rifled muskets, .52 caliber.
                          2,290 men, all armed with Rifles, Hall’s and Enfields, but the Hall’s “flint and steel muskets put the men at a great disadvantage.”

Cleburne’s Brigade
                          2nd Tennessee Provisional Bate’s, mixed civilian rifles and flintlocks initially.
                          6th Mississippi Infantry, two flank companies Enfield Rifled muskets, and the rest “mixed”
                          15th Arkansas Infantry, poor arms, but picked up new Enfield Rifles from Peabody’s camps.
                          23rd Tennessee Infantry, Flintlock .69 caliber smoothbore muskets.
                          24th Tennessee Infantry, some 1841 Model Mississippi Rifles and the balance flintlock .69 caliber smoothbores.
                          2,537 men, maybe 500 rifles, and approximately 1,258 smoothbore muskets.

Wood’s Brigade
                          3rd Mississippi Infantry Battalion, UNKNOWN
                          8th Arkansas Infantry, Conflicting evidence, one source says Enfield Rifles and the original ordnance records show 24,000 Flintlock cartridges issued post Shiloh, April-May, 1862.
                          9th Arkansas Infantry Battalion, Model 1819 Hall’s Rifled muskets and a mix of civilian guns.
                          16th Alabama Infantry, cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbore muskets.
                          27th Tennessee Infantry, issued new Enfield Rifles in December of 1861.
                          44th Tennessee Infantry, UNKNOWN
                          55th Tennessee Infantry, only two Companies armed with flintlock .69 caliber smoothbore muskets.
                          1,996 men, 3rd Mississippi Battalion and 44th Tennessee UNKNOWN- 490 rifles known and 580 smoothbores.

Reserve Corp
                          Brigadier General John C. Breckenridge
                          Trabue’s Brigade
                          3rd Kentucky Infantry, evidence to mix cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbores and flintlock .69 caliber smoothbores.
                          4th Alabama Infantry, evidence to Enfield Rifles and smoothbores
                          5th Kentucky Infantry, “Ragamuffins’ armed with long-rifles [civilian].”
                          6th Kentucky Infantry, went into the Battle armed with smoothbores, traded them for Enfield Rifles on the 6th.
                          31st Alabama Infantry, evidence to part Enfield Rifles and smoothbore muskets.
                          Crew’s Infantry Battalion, “poorly armed.”
                          2,678 men.

Second Brigade
                          Brig. Gen. JOHN S. BOWEN (wounded)
                          Col. JOHN D. MARTIN
                          9th Arkansas, mix of Hall’s Rifles, cap and ball .69 caliber muskets and civilian rifles and shotguns.
                          Col. Isaac L. Dunlop
                          10th Arkansas, Model 1819 Hall’s flintlock Rifles .52 caliber
                          Col. Thomas H. Merrick
                          2d Confederate Infantry [25th Mississippi Infantry], UNKNOWN
                          Col. John d. Martin
                          Maj. Thomas H. Mangum
                          1st Missouri Infantry, evidence to Enfield Rifles

Third Brigade
                          Col. WINFIELD S. STATHAM, 15th Mississippi
                          15th Mississippi Infantry, Co. G Maynard Rifles and Mississippi Rifles, the rest flintlock .69 caliber smoothbores.
                          22d Mississippi Infantry, evidence to all Enfield Rifles.
                          19th Tennessee Infantry, initially flintlock .69 caliber smoothbore muskets, days before Shiloh, cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbore muskets and 97 Mississippi Rifles .54 caliber.
                          Col. David H. Cummings
                          20th Tennessee Infantry, initially with flintlock .69 caliber smoothbore muskets, in March of 1862, all new Enfield Rifles and accoutrements.
                          Col. Joel A. Battle (captured)
                          28th Tennessee Infantry, “615 flintlock smoothbore muskets for 915 men October of 1861.” Possibility of Enfield Rifles for the balance.
                          45th Tennessee, Mix of cap and ball .69 caliber smoothbore muskets, some Enfield Rifles and Mississippi Rifles.

Tom Arliskas
                          CSuniforms
                          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Great info. Thank you for posting!
                            Bob Williams
                            26th North Carolina Troops
                            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks-- and if you have something to add or change please do.

Tom Arliskas
                              CSuniforms
                              Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
                              X