Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need Help on Shiloh for Presentation and Research - Uniforms & Firearms.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need Help on Shiloh for Presentation and Research - Uniforms & Firearms.

Originally posted by csuniforms View Post
    Pond’s Brigade
    16th Louisiana Infantry, photo evidence some Companies with Mississippi Rifles, and .69 caliber cap and ball muskets.
    18th Louisiana Infantry, flank companies armed with rifles and the rest smoothbore muskets.
    38th Tennessee Infantry, “I have armed Looney’s with Shotguns, Country Rifles, and old muskets [flintlocks?].”
    Crescent Infantry, “5 Companies with 1819 Hall’s rifles .52 caliber, 2 Companies with smoothbore muskets, and 1 with shotguns.”
    Orleans Guards Infantry Battalion, flank Companies with 1855 rifles and the rest Model 1842 .69 caliber cap and ball muskets.
    2,644 men, 150-250 with Mississippi rifles, [250 with Hall’s Rifles .52 caliber], 100 with shotguns, and the rest approximately 2,044 with smoothbores.
    Would this be that the Orleans Guard had M1855 Rifles, or the Rifled Musket? I'm also curious as to the source of this particular detail, as I'm trying to put together as much information about the Battalion/Regiment as possible.
    Captain Matthew Joe Mallory
    Co E, 35th Alabama Infantry Regiment
    Co E, 73rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry

Comment

My information listed rifles-- which would be short rifles with sword bayonets. Louisiana was very difficult to find--

Tom Arliskas
      CSuniforms
      Tom Arliskas

Comment

That's exactly my issue. I've found most of my information by digging through the newspapers of the day. Do you happen to have any additional information on the Orleans Guard?

Comment

Hello, I am working on it... but again information is not right in front of you. Someone might have a diary or letters or documents in a private collection. I am working on uniforms later for my presentation... Lots of general descriptions, but photos I have not seen,

Tom Arliskas
          CSuniforms
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

I have two photos of the Orleans Guard, though they are drastically different. One appears in the uniform described by the New Orleans Daily Crescent, while the other appears to be wearing lighter trousers.

Some diaries do exist, though they are hard to find. I'm still looking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	anatole_gauthier.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	225560Click image for larger version

Name:	uniform.png
Views:	1
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	225561
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Matthew Joe Mallory; 07-19-2018, 09:58 AM. Reason: Wrong file uploaded.

Comment

Have just recently received new research on those CS Regiments who I had marked as unknown. Will post soon. I have completed my Federal Firearms research- what type of firearms carried by each Regiment. Am compiling now into a readable format...

CSuniforms
              Tom Arliskas
              Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
              X