Orleans Guard Battalion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Orleans Guard Battalion

I am looking for information on the uniforms and equipment of the Orleans Guard Battalion prior to, and during the Battle of Shiloh. I've done some research into them and uncovered a general description of their uniform.

"The Orleans Guard Battalion, which was designated the 13th Lousiana Battalion, wore a dark blue frock and pants, and red forage cap for full dress. By February 1861 they had a fatigue uniform composed of 'dark blue kepis... jackets or short coats and pants of the same color, all trimmed with red, black belts and caotouche boxes'. During the Battle og Corinth (Miss) on 3-4 October 1862, the 6th Kentucky, at the sight of this 'blue uniform brought out from New Orleans', mistook the Orleans Guard Battalion for the enemy and fired on them, killing two men! Thereafter, they were ordered to 'turn their uniform wrong side outwards, thus giving them the appearance of going to a masquerade ball'." - Kenn Woods. The Soldier's Words. New York: Page Publishing, 2015.

I have found an image of a soldier of the Orleans Guard Battalion, and can make out what the uniform itself looks like. Echoes of Glory also features a button from the uniform. There is no canteen, nor a haversack, in the photo. The knapsack is interesting, but I can't make out what type it is (I don't know knapsacks too well, I confess). I'm also not entirely certain as to which musket is in the photo.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has any more information on the uniforms and equipment issued to the 13th Louisiana Battalion, otherwise known as the Orleans Guard Battalion, also known as the Garde d’Orléans.

Here is a link to the picture.
    Captain Matthew Joe Mallory
    Co E, 35th Alabama Infantry Regiment
    Co E, 73rd Indiana Volunteer Infantry
Working...
X