X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marching, The Foundation of Every Evolution

Marching
    The Foundation of Every Evolution

According to Webster’s the definition of marching is: To walk with regular and measured tread, as soldiers on parade; advance in step in an organized body. Like all armies from the time of Julius Caesar up until now, marching was used for moving a body of soldiers from point A to point B in a controlled manner. Along with close order drill, marching was and is used for building Esprit de corps.

Undoubtedly, like other soldiers of ‘61, Theodore Gerrish wrote of one of his first experiences after enlisting and at camp of instruction:

“It was a most ludicrous march. We had never been drilled….An untrained drum corps furnished us with music; each musician kept different time, and each man in the regiment took a different step….We marched, ran, walked, galloped, and stood still, in our vain endeavors to keep step.”
    Strictly from a tactics standpoint the necessity of marching is no longer a major importance on the battlefield. However the armies of blue and gray relied heavily upon the control created from marching in cadence. If referencing Hardee’s 1855 manual you will find the following:

312. The company marching at the cadence pace, the instructor, to cause it to take the route step, will command:
    1. Route step. 2. MARCH.

313. At the command march, the front rank will continue the step of twenty-eight inches, the rear rank will take, by gradually shortening the step, the distance of twenty-eight inches from the front rank; the men will carry their arms at will.
    The key phrase in this is “Shortening the step” As reenactors most could care less about keeping in step, or even taking the correct twenty-eight inch step and at the correct pace. But when this is neglected it will always cause some issues. For example, ever notice when marching by the flank and you will find the column drawn out more than half the distance of what the column should be? This is because folks are not taking the correct length of step. While marching at route step and prior halting, the instructor is to call attention. This will cause the column to take up the step and allow them to close up ranks. When this is done properly, it will prevent stretching the column out and when the command to halt (AND HALTING WHEN YOU ARE ORDERED) is given it prevents the accordion effect we see and the ever so common order to “close it up”

As a side note, I would like to point out that when marching by the flank you never begin at the route step. There is no command forward at the route step. Every march is to begin to the step.

When in line of battle and the command forward is given, there is nowhere in the manual that indicates you are marching at route step. When a line is out of step this will cause the rear rank to increase their distance from the front rank and the files begin to bumble around and bump shoulders with the file next to them, this generally looks like hammered dog crap. (Yes, that is a technical term) The only time the rear rank is to increase its distance from the front rank is when moving at the double-quick. Hardee’s manual states the following:

133. When the pieces are carried on the right shoulder, in quick time, the distance between the ranks will be sixteen inches. Whenever therefore, the instructor brings the company from a shoulder to this position, the rear rank must shorten a little the first steps in order to gain the prescribed distance, and will lengthen the steps, on the contrary, in order to close up again when the pieces are again brought to the shoulder. In marching in double-quick time, the distance between the ranks will be twenty-six inches, and the pieces will habitually be carried on the right shoulder.
    Now that the problem has been identified as well as the resulting issues - what can we do to begin correcting ourselves? We must begin teaching, and in some cases re-teaching the basics in order to get away from reenactorisms. First we start with the position of a soldier as it is described in Casey’s:

85. Heels on the same line, as near each other as the conformation of the man will permit; The feet turned out equally, and forming with each other something less than a right angle; The knees straight without stiffness; The body erect on the hips, inclining a little forward; The shoulders square and falling equally; The arms hanging naturally; The elbows near the body; The palm of the hand turned a little to the front, the little finger behind the seam of the pantaloons; The head erect and square to the front, without constraint; The chin near the stock, without covering it; The eyes fixed straight to the front, and striking the ground about a distance of fifteen paces.
    We have already established that the length of step is twenty-eight inches. The pace of common time as prescribed by Casey’s is ninety per minute.

1. Squad, forward. 2. Common time. 3. MARCH

103. At the first command, the recruit will throw the weight of the body on the right leg, without bending the left knee.
    This is more of a slight shift in your body weight rather than the drastic “Throwing” as described.

104. At the third command, he will smartly, but without a jerk, carry straight forward the LEFT foot twenty-eight inches from the right, the sole near the ground, the ham extended, the toe a little depressed, and, as also the knee, slightly turned out; he will, at the same time, throw the weight of the body forward, and plant flat the left foot, without shock, precisely at the distance where it finds itself from the right when the weight of the body is brought forward, the whole of which will now rest on the advanced foot. The recruit will next, in like manner, advance the right foot and plant it as above, the heel twenty-eight inches from the heel of the left foot, and thus continue to march without crossing the legs, or striking the one against the other, without turning shoulders, and preserving always the face direct to the front.
    This is simple to an extent. The act of marching requires a certain amount of discipline and military bearing. While marching in cadence you do not talk, unless you are an NCO or officer giving task direction. You do not turn your head left, right, up or down. Your job is to focus on the back of the head of the man to your front. If you do not have someone in front of you, then you use your peripheral vision to remain aligned with the man to your left or right. If you are a Sgt. At the head of a column utilize the method of dead reckoning to maintain a straight line.

In conclusion, take the time to go back to the basics and practice. Work on the position of a soldier, on stepping off, halting together, and most importantly practice, practice, practice staying in step. Ultimately the lines will require less dressing and closing of ranks whenever the order halt is given. I recommend picking up a manual to read more about the position of the soldier, or do not and be a part of the problem. The choice is yours.
    Last edited by Silas; 06-15-2018, 02:42 PM. Reason: Formatting.
    Tyler Underwood
    Pawleys Island #409 AFM
    Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Re: Marching, The Foundation of every Evolution

Funny you should post this as marching as a component of drill has been on my mind of late. The pdf I sent you about the mechanics of marching in column of companies and turning the column to the right or left is an indication of my interest.

The reenacting community tends to march by the flank - and it's almost always to the right - whether the topography mandates a narrow front or not. Since that's the standard way to march in the hobby, people don't think twice about whether a different formation ought to be used. Well, most people anyway. Maybe I'll drop some of the theory into this thread you've started.

Just not right now.

I will attach the file in pdf format which has the instruction and illustrations for marching in column of companies and turning the column to the right or left. Hardest part is understanding that the guide does not always remain fixed on one side. It can shift.

The file is a snippet from my latest booklet which derives from a list of 25 drill evolutions that Col. J.H. Witherspoon of the 8th S.C. Reserves expected his troops to perform at a drill and review two weeks BEFORE they had been sworn into a ninety day term of service. The reserves at that time were composed of white males between the ages of thirty-five and fifty who had been serving in local companies.

Witherspoon's 25 evolutions have some pretty complex manoeuvers that these weekend warriors were expected to know. Some on the manoeuvers were left oriented rather than the reenactor standard of right oriented. Once they understood the concepts, it wasn't so bad. Their performance before understanding the concepts might look something like a horde of mainstreamers at a mega event.
    Attached Files
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Re: Marching, The Foundation of every Evolution

Remember a school of instruction run by Mike Kendrick in which we spent 3 hours just trying to get each soldier to march in cadence with a measured step through common time, quick step, etc. with an accomplished drummer and bugler. Mike had marked out on the ground the length of the step, etc. Gradually each soldier, despite height/length of step, conformed to the steps per minute and lengthened and shortened their own step to conform to the unit. It was pretty cool. After that began the various other SoS moves and then SoC. We never touched a weapon until day 2. I was impressed. By the end,everyone had unlearned bad habits and learned the real deal, including all the maneuvers Silas shows in the SC book...and this is important, always performing each maneuver on the right step. Drummers were still used, but the soldiers could have stayed in cadence without one.
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Re: Marching, The Foundation of Every Evolution

Col. Witherspoon didn't create a manual. He only created a list. The general concept of the list was to perform one manoeuver, like moving a column into a line, then another which undid the first manoeuver, such as making that line into a column. I went through each manoeuver from the school of the battalion then inserted text from other areas of the school of the battalion, company or soldier if necessary.

The short pdf I posted here is only a snippet from my expansion of Witherspoon's list. The manoeuver, Head of Column to the Left (Right), is only presumed from his list based upon other manoeuvers in his list. In the pdf is By the Right of Companies to the Rear in Column which is #4 on his list. Here's Witherspoon's actual list :

Card of Evolutions
        for
        Drill and Review
        of the 8th Regiment,
        1st Corps of Reserves,
        at Camden, 20th and 21st Oct., 1862

1. Break to the right into column. Pass in Review, page 18.
        2. Left into line wheel, page 88.
        3. Change front forward on 1st Company, page 166.
        4. By the right of Companies to the rear into column, page 23.
        5. Into line, faced to the rear, page 106.
        6. Change front forward on the 10th Company, page 166.
        7. Change front to the rear on 10th Company, page 170.
        8. By the left of Companies to the front, page 27.
        9. Left into line, wheel, page 88.
        10. Ploy into column double on the centre, 172.
        11. Form square, 182, 183 and 186.
        12. Advance by front and retire, 188.
        13. Reduce square, page 193.
        14. Deploy column faced to the front, 177.
        15. Close column by division, on 1st division right in front, page 30.
        16. On the 1st division deploy column faced to the front, 117.
        17. Close column by division on 5th division left in front, 34.
        18. On 5th division, deploy column, faced to the front, 123.
        19. Break to the right into column, 18.
        20. On 10th company, to half distance, close column, 62.
        21. By the rear of column left into line wheel, 114.
        22. By the right of companies to the rear into column, 23.
        23. On 1st company to half distance, close, 60.
        24. On 1st company take wheeling distance, 77.
        25. Left into line wheel, page 88.

The figures at the end of each Evolution refer to the page in 2d volume of Hardee’s Tactics, where the different Evolutions will be found.

JAMES H. WITHERSPOON,
        Col. 8th Regt. 1st Corps Reserves.
        Lancaster, C. H., October 10th 1862.
        A similar concept to By the Right of Companies to the Rear is By the LEFT of Companies to the FRONT which Witherspoon included at #8. I had to create an illustration for this as one does not exist :

Click image for larger version

Name:	ByLeftCompaniesFront.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	225546

(Hover your mouse over the illustration for a larger version to pop up.)

To go with this manoeuver, I added something not in his list, but something which follows the manoeuver in the School of the Battalion and which undoes the manoeuver : By Companies into Line. This is not big deal until one realizes the companies form on their second sergeants on the left down to the first sergeants on the right. Not being any illustration of this, I had to create one :

Click image for larger version

Name:	ByCompaniesIntoLineLeft.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	225547

For each, I had to insert text from the various schools to explain the full details of the manoeuver.

Like reenactors, the South Carolina Reserves were old guys between the ages of 35-50 who drilled occasionally. You'd think they'd be as proficient as mainstream reenactors. Apparently they were pretty good. In April, 1862, Col. Witherspoon's command was assembled and paraded publicly. They performed twenty-one evolutions “with spirit, promptness and accuracy, in thirty-five minutes - all taken from and according to Hardee.” A Lancaster newspaper further reported, “It was apparent from the ease and facility with which the evolutions were performed, that Col. Witherspoon had not only been in the service but was proficient in his position and thoroughly understood his business.”

Witherspoon's list has been a fun exercise for me. I've learned some new things and reenforced some other things. The document is still going through some formatting edits. His list fits on one page, but the full text for his manoeuvers is something like eighty, half pages of text and illustrations.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Re: Marching, The Foundation of Every Evolution

I have to say, I'm often frustrated and puzzled as to so many reenactors' inability to march in step. Even with musicians and a drum. It's so easy and should be natural to step to the beat. In close order it is so critical to be in step for movements, and to not step on your file mate's heel! I know drill isn't popular as a way to spend down time in camp, but frankly, we need more of it.
          Frank Siltman
          24th Mo Vol Inf
          Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
          Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
          Company of Military Historians
          Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
          X