Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• waterproofed shelter halves?

Greetings all,
    I have a question regarding Federal shelter halves, both type II and III designs. I used the search tool and came up with nothing, so maybe the rest of you can help. Were the shelter halves issued to Federal soldiers waterproofed in some way, and if so, what did they waterproof with? I seem to remember this question being asked before, but I am not sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Sincerely,
    Matthew Cassady
    Pvt. 104th Illinois Vol. Inf.
    [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
    [/COLOR][/B]

Re: waterproofed shelter halves?

Matthew,
    Shelter halves issued by the United States government during the Civil War were not "waterproofed" during their manufacture, or prior to issue, in any way. If you'd like to learn more about shelter halves, may I suggest Fred Gaede's book.

Gaede, Fred, The Federal Civil War Shelter Half, O'Donnel Publications, Alexandria, VA, 2001.

This book has, for good reason, become considered the "last word" on the subject of federal shelter halves.

Cordially,

Comment

Water rolls off the canvas without need of waterproofing. Just need to make sure you don't touch the canvas when it is repelling rain.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Thank you very much, gentlemen, I appreciate the responses. My question was spurred on by a passage in the regimental history of the 104th Illinois about their new shelter halves "which were waterproofed." I'll get to reading Geade's book.

Matthew Cassady
        [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
        [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Hi,

Correct me if I'm mistaken but wasn't paraffin, or something like it, used as a waterproofing agent on various types of tents? Paraffin did "waterproof" them...but also made them fire hazards. Indeed, tent fires were common as dirt back then and soldier accounts frequently mention them. I have an unpublished diary by a Captain in the 10th Indiana who mentions his tent went up in flames on New Years' Day 1863 after a floating ember from a nearby campfire landed on it.

Also, to stop water dripping through your canvas, don't you just touch the leaking spot with your finger and draw it down to the bottom edge? I think this creates a new "track" for the water to run.

I would also cordially and respectfully take some issue with the observation that Mr. Gaede's shelter tent book is "the last word" since, as I'm sure he would tell you (I've corresponded with Fred myself), there is always something new to be uncovered. Don't get me wrong: Fred's book is excellent and well worth the price so, until someone else tackles this subject, we should definitely use "Shelter Tents" as a standard reference.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by markj
            Hi,

Correct me if I'm mistaken but wasn't paraffin, or something like it, used as a waterproofing agent on various types of tents? Paraffin did "waterproof" them...but also made them fire hazards. Indeed, tent fires were common as dirt back then and soldier accounts frequently mention them. I have an unpublished diary by a Captain in the 10th Indiana who mentions his tent went up in flames on New Years' Day 1863 after a floating ember from a nearby campfire landed on it.

Also, to stop water dripping through your canvas, don't you just touch the leaking spot with your finger and draw it down to the bottom edge? I think this creates a new "track" for the water to run.

I would also cordially and respectfully take some issue with the observation that Mr. Gaede's shelter tent book is "the last word" since, as I'm sure he would tell you (I've corresponded with Fred myself), there is always something new to be uncovered. Don't get me wrong: Fred's book is excellent and well worth the price so, until someone else tackles this subject, we should definitely use "Shelter Tents" as a standard reference.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Mark,
            My reference to Mr Gaede's book as the "last word" on the subject was meant only as an expression of my high regard for it and not a literal pronouncement that all that can be known about shelter halves are contained within its covers. It is indeed a comprehensive, well-written and documented book. I do concede that there is always more to learn. Point taken sir.

As far as paraffin or wax coated shelter tents goes, it just doesn't seem like a practical thing to do. We have products like "Thompsons Water Seal" which I believe is basically paraffin in solution which we could spray on a tent but how would a soldier apply a thin waterproofing paraffin coating during our period? -- if we are agreed that the Federal Quartermaster Dept did not contract for, produce nor deliver shelter halves for which any type of chemical waterproofing was called for in the specifications.

Cordially,

Comment

Mark,

"I would also cordially and respectfully take some issue with the observation that Mr. Gaede's shelter tent book is "the last word" since, as I'm sure he would tell you (I've corresponded with Fred myself), there is always something new to be uncovered. Don't get me wrong: Fred's book is excellent and well worth the price so, until someone else tackles this subject, we should definitely use "Shelter Tents" as a standard reference."

While I agree that there will never be a "last word" on anything, I fear your exercise in semantics will be lost on many of the newer members of our forums who will only take your implication that Mr. Gaede's work is somehow incomplete or contains inaccuracies.

Mr. Gaede's book is unlikely to be surpassed, even by the learned folk on these forums, for MANY years to come. It is as close to a definitive work on that subject as is likely to ever be created.
              John Stillwagon

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowhammer
                "Mr. Gaede's book is unlikely to be surpassed, even by the learned folk on these forums, for MANY years to come. It is as close to a definitive work on that subject as is likely to ever be created.
                Unless a revised printing is published in the future. :wink_smil We both know Fred has come across a host of new photos and additional references to augment his already excellent Monograph on shelter tents.
                Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
                – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Handling an original shelter half is a great dissppointment in the sense it is so thin. I discovered tent #31 in the Fred Gaede book covering bicycles in a central Illinois basement. There is an amazing weight similarity to a well worn hotel bedsheet and tent #31. No evidence of any waterproofing to the touch, and very thin weight. I daresay if someone were to reproduce this tent it would be a hardsell, it defines SHODDY. This tent was issued and carried, documented, late war.
                  Steve Sullivan

Comment

Originally posted by Yellowhammer
                    Mark,
                    While I agree that there will never be a "last word" on anything, I fear your exercise in semantics will be lost on many of the newer members of our forums who will only take your implication that Mr. Gaede's work is somehow incomplete or contains inaccuracies.

Mr. Gaede's book is unlikely to be surpassed, even by the learned folk on these forums, for MANY years to come. It is as close to a definitive work on that subject as is likely to ever be created.
                    John-Boy,

"Agreed," since almost no one else has the time, talent, patience, or wherewithal to dig through massive amounts of documentation at the National Archives. That being said, a definitive examination of Federal tentage remains to be written mainly because documentation at the state level has almost been completely ignored or not yet examined:

Here's "Exhibit A," which I have already shared with Fred Gaede (both of the following items are drawn from the Indianapolis Daily Democratic Sentinel:

‎24 April 1861:‎

Camp Morton.--***The quarters of the City Greys [of the 11th Indiana Zouaves] are near Power Hall. They occupy the tents ‎belonging to the company, which the Government will purchase.***Captain Manson's company ‎‎[the Crawfordsville Guards, of the 10th Indiana] from Crawfordsville, and Captain Blake's from Michigan City, also ‎occupy tents--the former near the center of the ground and the latter in the vicinity of ‎Miscellaneous Hall. The ladies of Crawfordsville made the tent[s] for Captain Manson's ‎company, and presented them before they left home. There are thirteen company tents and ‎one marquee.***‎

Here's "Exhibit B":

‎30 April 1861:‎

ZOUAVE TENTS.--Capt. Robinson and Lieut Wilson, both of the [11th Indiana] Zouave ‎regiment, were yesterday [Monday, 29 April 1861] perfecting a tent as a sample of the kind they ‎desire to have for use in the field. It will accommodate one man, is very light, and so arranged ‎that it can be pitched in a moment. The cloth is to be made of muslin boiled in oil. Four light ‎sticks, four pegs and the muslin is all that is required. Each man, if this plan is adopted, will ‎carry his tent on his back. It is an exceedingly simple contrivance, and we see no reason why it ‎will not work well. ‎

The above item appears to have been a "home-made tent d'abri." The date and location are noteworthy given that this was in supposedly "provincial" Indiana....

Very truly yours, &c., &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                    Last edited by markj; 05-10-2004, 05:37 PM.
                    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Just a quick note, gentlemen, to thank you for the numerous comments on the shelter tent monograph. Mark's comment that research on state procurement of halves will add to the story of the half is well founded. The amount of time required to run from state to state to uncover those stories has limited their availability. Only a few states (Wisconsin comes to mind) have had their equitment covered in any detail. However, I don't think a definitive story about what the states did will alter the typology I offered, or basic story of the issue half, as developed and procured by the Army's QMD.
                      I might note in the three years since publication no new examples of halves were brought to my attention (that I could confirm with an inspection) until this past spring. Then four 'new' examples came from a single auction in VT! I had the privlege of examining two of the halves at the Gettysburg Show at the end of June. Both were identical, Type IIIa's, well marked with A. Jewett's name. One was virtually as new; the other had a hole near the bttom reinforcement which contained a manila loop. The 23 tinned buttons were still shiny. Nice examples of 1864 halves and a matched pair to boot! I still have hopes the (unknown) owner of the other two will allow me to examine them, to keep the database intact. Fred Gaede

Comment

I didn't think my previous message was posted, hence this addendum. FCG
                        Last edited by lightartilleryjoe; 07-24-2004, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X