This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Bess Rebs?

The 17th South Carolina Volunteers carried the Brown Bess with the percussion cap conversion. One of these is at the SCV Confederate Museum in Greenville, SC. The flank companies of the 17th were equipped with the Enfield's.

Once I find further information I will post it. I don't know if the BB was retained throughout the war. It would seem that far better arms would replace this weapon as the war progressed. Commonality of ammunition would be another problem with troops retaining this weapon. Unless your protraying the 17th or another documented unit, it would seem that the investment and uselfulness of the weapon would be very limited. Also for the price of buying a custom made replica, one could own two to three high quality repo's that were seen in abudance. Smart money would purchase a 1842 smooth bore, for a early war CS impression that would useful for a wide range of events.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Comment

I don't picture these coming off mantles. I picture them coming along with militia units from backwater areas, early in the war, then getting turned in as something better came along, and reissued again in backwaters like Camp Sumter, treating them essentially as one step up from spears.
      When the government authorized them to be "sold off," after the Mexican War, wouldn't then, as more recently, state organizations like militia get first crack? I'd think the path into private hands would be fairly lengthy.
      And I have no idea what particular "brown bess" the Andersonville troops had.

Clearly an area where more needs to be known....
      Bill Watson
      Stroudsburg

Comment

It would most definitely depend on what the desired impression was. For early war or rear echelon duties, perhaps, if besses can be documented, or at least have even been a possibility. I would assume these type weapons might have been found in the units that had quite a few men unarmed. When the need is great enough, age and effectiveness doesn't matter near as much.

John, just out of curiosity, could you explain what you mean by the "family of US martial flintlocks that have significant differences" that are referred to by the name "1816?" I know there are variations on the different models of the 1816 musket, but these variations were slight.
        Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Originally posted by tmdreb
          John, just out of curiosity, could you explain what you mean by the "family of US martial flintlocks that have significant differences" that are referred to by the name "1816?" I know there are variations on the different models of the 1816 musket, but these variations were slight.
          Im no expert on muskets like some members of this board, but I will try to answer this. Athough there was some noticable changes in the different US flintlock muskets from the late 18th early 19th century. The major difference was due to the improved manufacturing processes used in these muskets. Towards the begining of the 1800s, tolerances, and tools to measure those tolerances improved by leaps and bounds. Although it would still be years before 100% interchangeability would be sorted out, it was getting started on certain parts to a small degree. For example a 1816 musket would have nowere close to the quality of interchangeability that a 1822 musket would have.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Somewhere or another is a quotation that the most uniformly armed unit surrendered at Fort Donelson carried flintlock British muskets. Likewise, they (described as "Queen Anne" muskets), were carried by the Georgia troops guarding Camp Sumter, Andersonville, heavily loaded with buckshot.
            David Fox

Comment

If the term Queen Anne musket was being used properly, this would date those muskets prior to the adoption of the Brown Bess.
              Paul Mullins

"Solang das Volk so übermäßig dumm ist, braucht der Teufel nicht klug zu sein."

Comment

Not the forum for 18th century musket discussions.
                Jim Kindred

Comment

Working...
                X