No announcement yet.

M1861 Contract muskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Navy Arms' Springfields (Japan or Italy)...

Hallo!

Just to add...

The first of the Navy Arms Springfield's was the M1863 Type II (aka "M1864") that came out in 1974 (I bought one for $185, and my pards thought I was daft as Zouaves could be had for $65-85.) The were offered finished as well as kits.
    The very first production batch had patent breeches with no separate breech plugs. The N-SSA would not approve it (always a problem with Val Forgett's status in the N-SSA). Changes were made in 1975.

At any rate, there are still of the "1974" and "1975" era "M1864's" floating around.
    (As well as some late 1970's Mike Yeck, of Dundee, Michigan, nice M1861's, 1862 Richmond's, and M1863's but the lack of quality control did him in and he quit making them after a few years of problems. These were, IMHO , the BEST Springfields ever offered but at $250 and then with QC problems they were doomed.)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

• Re: Navy Arms' Springfields (Japan or Italy)...

Another note on the Miroku (sic) made guns was the odd shape of the barrel tang. They were unlike the original in that they were longer and tapered. It also through off the location of the tang screw. This was not an issue if you never had to change out a barrel. The Italian guns have a correct shaped tang.

Miroku made the old Navy Arms 1863s, 1864s and the early Dixie 1861s

All of the Miroku made guns had a reputation for quality barrels that would shoot straight.
      Mark Hubbs
      My book, The Secret of Wattensaw Bayou, is availible at Amazon.com and other on-line book sellers

Visit my history and archaeology blog at: www.erasgone.blogspot.com

Comment

• Re: M1861 Contract muskets

Does anyone know where I could have a lock plate converted to an 1862 Windsor Locks stamp? It is my understanding that Windsor Locks, CT was one of the first manufacturers in CT to begin contract work prior to 1863. Certainly, an 1862 stamp is much easier to utilize than an 1863/64 marking.

Bryan O'Keefe, Esquire

Comment

Hallo!

I am a little out of the loop, but I know of no one offering either a "Wm Muir & Company (or subcontract), Windsor Locks" lockplate or the rarer "Windsor Locks" lockplate.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

I have one of the "Trenton 1863" plates on my '61, but the thing that troubles me is the "1861" date on the breech of this EA rifle. How have others corrected this?

Doug Price

Comment

Hallo!

Ideally, in order for the date of the barrel to match the date of the lockplate, it needs to be restruck. (with the limited exception of late December made barrels overlapping early January production of the assembled guns so noted).

To attempt to do it yourself is expensive and tedious. A hardened steel stamp is required (roughly $200-300 or so) as well as a 2 ton or better striking arbor- and even then attempting to stamp a decent impression in modern hard barrel steel is tricky.

I am out of the loop, and have ot seen any of the reworked commercial M1861's to see whether the so-called "de-farbers" restrike the barrel date.
              One "service" I know of DOES restrike the barrels, but uses individual number stamps to change the date with a hammer- but that typically results in a date that is four separate crooked, uneven, unspaced, and random depth strikes.

Some lads remove the "1861" feeling that no date is better than a wrong date. Or, go with the "fiction" that their gun was damaged and repaired with an "1861" dated barrel from another damaged gun.

And last, but not least, on the Sliding Scale of Authenticty, the contractor can also be identified by the "form" of the "V, P, and Eaglehead" barrel proofs which vary from Period maker to maker.... but "we" do not change those. ;) :)

Curt
              Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

They do. James River Armory probably does the best on stamping the US 1861 contractor models, overall.
                Craig L Barry
                Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Hello,

I see that cross products are mentioned a few times is there contact infomation for these products?

Thanks
                  Chris Reed

Comment

Hallo!

As far as I know, Mr. Cross' line of most excellent lockplates and rear sights are only sold indirectly and there is no direct link or website for him.

I used to get them from various vendors at the N-SSA's "Sutlers' Row" at Fort Shenandoah, VA, or directly from lads like Nick Brevort, Bill Osborne (Lodgewood) or
                    S & S Firearms.

Curt
                    Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Curt,

Thank you for the info.

Chris Reed

Comment

Working...
                      X