Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1861 Armisport Springfield

Hallo!

I would sugggest first checking if you have an "N-SSA competition" style cone rather than the actual "military" configuration with a wider vent.

Curt
    Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 11-15-2006, 03:18 PM.
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael Mantini View Post
      Several members of my unit are having problems with misfires in their armisport springfields. They get off 2 or 3 shots and the weapon fouls at the flash port. We do not seem to have this problem with other manufacturers. I know the members who own these springfields keep them very clean. Has anyone else run into this issue and have some suggestions to correct the problem?
      Part of the problem is the design of the flash channel itself... in the current reproduction M1861 Springfields, as well as two other weapons based on the same design (the M1855 rifle-musket and the CS Richmond rifle-musket), the flash channel makes nearly a 90-degree turn between the base of the cone and where it emerges into the rifle bore. This serves to reduce the amount of spark delivered to the charge, and makes the weapon much more sensitive to powder fouling in the bore, the flash channel, and in the cone itself -- especially when firing blanks.

You need to be scrupulous about cleaning these specific areas in the weapon, or shell out a few more buck$ and get one of the Amoskeag or Colt Contract Special muskets which feature a more direct path for your sparks.

There are a number of good references on this issue, care of the cone, and related problems in back issues of The Watchdog, under Craig Barry's byline.
      Tom Ezell

Comment

It could be something as simple as replacing the cone. The cones on reproductions have a smaller diameter than the originals and should be replaced. And yes, cleaning these out after every event is mandatory (remove the cone and the screw).
        Scott Cross
        "Old and in the Way"

Comment

This has been a problem with my Armisport '61 Springfield since the day I got it around 8 years ago. I've named it Ol' Miss Fire for the frequency with which it doesn't go off. Yes, I have a wide-channel cone and yes, I keep it scrupulously clean.

The problem that I experience lies with dumping rounds down the muzzle. I can safely predict a misfire 1/3 of the time. On the other hand, if I ram the paper, it will fire all day and half the night without problem.

I don't have a solution for you -- just the dubious comfort of knowing that you aren't alone.

Ron Myzie

Comment

I keep two cones, One for live fire and one for blanks. The blank cone I took a .0625 nitrided drill bit and enlarged the flash channel in the cone. It also makes a good reamer for when I remove the bolster cleanout screw in my AS Richmond. The carbon fouling can get as hard as ceramic when it builds up and clogs the flash channel, already tight enough as is.

Pvt. Steven Henry
            Co. A , 3rd Maine Volunteer Infantry
            "Bath City Greys"
            Pvt. S.D. Henry
            Co. A 3rd Maine Volunteer Infantry
            "Bath City Greys"

Comment

Thanks for the advice. I'll recommend some of these tips.

Mike Mantini
              5NHV

Comment

Originally posted by ephraim_zook View Post
                The problem that I experience lies with dumping rounds down the muzzle. I can safely predict a misfire 1/3 of the time. On the other hand, if I ram the paper, it will fire all day and half the night without problem.

Ron Myzie
                Ron,

I have the exact same problem. My ArmiSport '61 Springfield fuctions perfectly when ramming the paper or firing live rounds. I think it must have something to do with compressing the powder charge.

It's my guess they experienced the same problem back in the day. There's a reason they switched to an Enfield/Special Model style bolster when the weapon was modified in 1863. Not to mention it was probably cheaper to manufacture the weapon without a clean-out screw.
                Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

I have had the same results that bill had above. Try cleaning out the flash channel as often as possible.

Comment

The problem is with the Italian made repops; not the original design. I have never had the issue w/ my Miroku & those I know who have purchased proper quality barrels or use original barrels don't either. In 5 years and most of 1000 blank rounds I have had only three misfires and that can be blamed on a set of bad caps.

The idea that the men preffered Enfields to M1861 arms is a re-enactorism that frustrates me beyond belief. The work of Mr Barry details many of the issues w/ repros. THe Italian Repros only look like the originals... sort of anyway.

Barry, Craig L., The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy-Lock, Stock and Barrel, Watchdog Press, 2006.
                    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                    SUVCW Camp 48
                    American Legion Post 352
                    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

• Re: 1861 Armisport Springfield

Originally posted by Michael Mantini View Post
                      Has anyone else run into this issue and have some suggestions to correct the problem?
                      For the most part, you've had good advice thus far. One minor tool that may be of help during those in between event cleanings is a modern device you may purchase from a welding supply house. This tool is a tip cleaner, and resembles an old wire type feeler gauge, but with the individual wires having a rough surface, almost like a very fine spring steel file. The whole thing is about the size of a pack of matches, and the various sizes are good for reaching into that 90 degree angle passage, and a final ream in the cone. Again, this is not something you would take with you to an event, but it is handy on the workbench.

Additionally, most muzzleloading supply catalogs (even Cabela's) carry these small CO2 devices for clearing the barrel. They have enough of a blast to dry off any water/oils/residue down at the bottom of the chamber that may leech into the narrow passage, as a final step in home cleaning. You may already use one of these in the "last resort" kit to remove stuck rammers. Not that anyone has ever had a rammer stuck in a barrel before... :tounge_sm
                      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

• Musket Stocks - The "Right Color"?

I was asked recently about the "appropriate color" for a musket stock. This question has come up in the past, so I thought I would post some pics to clarify the issue.

In a nut:
                        Walnut stocks on original muskets varied greatly in color, from a light honey-colored shade to dark brown or red-brown shades.

Attached are a couple shots of "The Pipe Organ" at Springfield Armory NHS that illustrate this point. The display consists of scores of US M1861 rifle muskets and three flint US M1816/22 muskets, all in superb condition.

For reproduction stocks, the main thing I try to avoid are visible bands of light and dark on the stock as I have yet to see an original musket with a two-toned stock.

Enjoy!
                        Attached Files
                        John Wickett
                        Former Carpetbagger
                        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

• Re: Musket Stocks - The "Right Color"?

Hallo!

Indeed!

And that is a range of Pennsylvania grown American Black Walnut on "Springfields."
                          And the Northern Italian Walnut used on British 3rd Model "Enfields," is a horse of a different color as well... :)

Curt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Those sure are some pretty pictures!
                            Michael Comer
                            one of the moderator guys

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
                              Those sure are some pretty pictures!
                              Thanks! As they say, they're "...worth a thousand words". Personally, I think that many of the ad nauseum discussions we have on these and other fora could be cut short and the debate ended with some good photographs. So, I'm making it a project to do just that, to whatever extent I am able.

Anybody want to loan me an unaltered Armi Sport and EoA Enfield? :tounge_sm
                              John Wickett
                              Former Carpetbagger
                              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures. These great pictures bring to mind a question I have. I have heard that the rear sight on an 1861 was often blued. Was the whole sight blued, or just the sight leaves? How common were blued sights? The sights in the pictures look all blued, not just the leaves.
                                Lawrence E. Kingsley
                                BTTY F, 1st PA LT ATTY

Comment

Working...
                                X