M1861 Contract muskets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1861 Contract muskets

I recently got my first musket and I am interested on the proper way to file off the modern marks on the musket. Thanks in advance for the help.
    Bill Backus

Re: Modern Marks

Bill,

I use a mill cut file, with the draw file method. This removes the lettering and if done slowly and properly will maintain the contour of the barrel. The idea is to remove as little material as possible, once it's off you can't put it back on so go slow.

If you have any further questions please contact me directly.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by bAcK88
      I recently got my first musket and I am interested on the proper way to file off the modern marks on the musket. Thanks in advance for the help.
      Bill
      If you send me an e-mail I can attach some information on getting your musket defarbed professionaly.
      Terry
      t.schultz5@verizon.net

Comment

Let's guess, you are going to recommend The Company Quartermaster which is listed as your homepage and is not an approved vendor on this forum.
        Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by major
          Bill
          If you send me an e-mail I can attach some information on getting your musket defarbed professionaly.
          Terry
          t.schultz5@verizon.net
          Terry -
          The Company Quartermaster is not an Approved Vendor on this forum. From what I know of the company, it is a mainstream sutlery in the same vein as Fall Creek, Fairoaks, etc. While I wish no ill will to mainstream sutlers, promoting their services here runs counter to the purposes of this website.

Please restrict your postings to non-business related contributions.
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Originally posted by bAcK88
            I would have to go with Jim's method. After doing three rifles so far, the two methods that I have found to work is the Mill File drawn in one direction, and then some finsih work with emery cloth. It takes a whilke but is worth the wait. I would stay completely away from any sort of method that seems quick and easy....aka: BODY GRINDER.

Please feel free to email me for some tips and suggestions, and some good sources for some period correct furniture (not mainstream) for your rifle...so long as it is an enfield.

Respectfully,
            Todd Morris
            Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
            Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
            Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong fellows, but doesn't he have to maintain the original serial number somewhere on the firearm? like to a new location, usually between the bottom of the barrel and stock forearm? or have the newer rifles already done this?
              Jack Booda

Comment

Jack,

As far as ATF is concerned a reproduction musket is not considered a firearm under the Gun Control Act of 1968 and a serial number is not required. The only reason the reproductions have a serial number is for importation purposes.

Some states, very few, may consider it a firearm and that would need to be checked into in his state of residence.
                Jim Kindred

Comment

Thanks again, Jim. ;)
                  Jack Booda

Comment

Glad to help.
                    Jim Kindred

Comment

gun laws applicable to antique firearms

Originally posted by JimKindred
                      Jack,

As far as ATF is concerned a reproduction musket is not considered a firearm under the Gun Control Act of 1968 and a serial number is not required.....
                      Jim, you may be just the person that can answer a question I have about gun laws and antiques. Does the 1934 federal law regarding minimum bbl length apply to BP, muzzle loading shotguns?

(I'm still pretty new here, so if this is not the preferred way/place to ask this question, my apologies in advance.)

Comment

Re: gun laws applicable to antique firearms

James,

I don't deal with short barrel weapons so I have never researched that aspect. I would refer you to ATF for that question - http://www.atf.gov/firearms/ or better contact their field office in your state. I would also check with laws in your state especially if you live in the northeast part of the US.

Having dealt with full autos and been an FFL holder since 1980 I have always found them more than willing to help out with questions. Be sure to explain clearly what type weapon you are asking about as odd as it may seem, many of their agents are not up on the various types of firearms.
                        Jim Kindred

Comment

Further in formation regarding the short barrel shotgun. Under this a muzzleloading shotgun does not fall under the National Firearms Act as a short barrel weapon as it does not fire fixed ammunition. I would still check you local ATF field office and state laws, I receive regular updates from ATF with regulation changes and such so it never hurts to check.

This from ATF -

"(d) Shotgun. -- The term "shotgun" means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of projectiles (ball shot) or a single projectile for each pull of the trigger, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire a fixed shotgun shell."

"(e) Any other weapon. -- The term "any other weapon" means any weapon or device capable of being concealed on the person from which a shot can be discharged through the energy of an explosive, a pistol or revolver having a barrel with a smooth bore designed or redesigned to fire a fixed shotgun shell, weapons with combination shotgun and rifle barrels 12 inches or more, less than 18 inches in length, from which only a single discharge can be made from either barrel without manual reloading, and shall include any such weapon which may be readily restored to fire. Such term shall not include a pistol or a revolver having a rifled bore, or rifled bores, or weapons designed, made, or intended to be fired from the shoulder and not capable of firing fixed ammunition."

"(g) Antique firearm. -- The term "antique firearm" means any firearm not designed or redesigned for using rim fire or conventional center fire ignition with fixed ammunition and manufactured in or before 1898 (including any matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system or replica thereof, whether actually manufactured before or after the year 1898) and also any firearm using fixed ammunition manufactured in or before 1898, for which ammunition is no longer manufactured in the United States and is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade."
                          Jim Kindred

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Booda
                            Correct me if I'm wrong fellows, but doesn't he have to maintain the original serial number somewhere on the firearm? like to a new location, usually between the bottom of the barrel and stock forearm? or have the newer rifles already done this?
                            The Armi-sport already has the serial number also stamped on the bottom of the barrel. If you have a Euro-arms and want the number on the bottom you can stamp it yourself. You will need a serial number on it somewhere if you want to take the musket into Canada and it can come in handy if it is ever lost or stolen. Harbor Freight tools had a stamping set real cheep. Last time I was there I think I saw one for under $10. Check out the link below.
                            Terry
                            HTML Code:
                             [url]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Category.taf?CategoryID=163&pricetype=[/url]
                            Last edited by ; 12-29-2003, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jim! Perhaps it's best if I don't ask the Fed's about a sawed off cavalry shotgun and LeMat revolver. Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

Arizona is still pretty much a "leave me alone" state, although as it gets more crowded it's threatening to devolve.

And no, I don't intend to bring a cavalry shotgun to a reenactment. (Worse on pards than a 2 band enfield!). I restrict my weapon related reenacting to primitive hunts. Loading a gun and not killing something or practicing to kill something with a target would bother me as much as parking lots, port-a-jon's and toilet paper (that's why God gave us corn shucks! :) )

Comment

Working...
                              X