The Knapsack and the ornamentation that soldiers placed on them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Knapsack and the ornamentation that soldiers placed on them

Now, I know from doing research that soldiers would paint their Regimental ID on their Knapsacks and that the armies would put numbers on the Knapsack to match the rack numbers in barracks and the there number in the company. I am really interested to see if they ever would have painted any sayings or anything else of that nature on their knapsacks. So, if any body has any photos or artifacts, please share them with me.

Re: The Knapsack and the ornamentation that soldiers placed on them

I recently studied the same thing and found that all of the surviving knapsack examples found in my books (Echos of Glory, etc.) carried the same type of unit identification information with some variation as to how much (regt #, Co., sometimes a soldiers name). I did not see any with mottos or such, but it may have happened as these knapsacks might've been an opportunity for a a soldiers's self-expression. However, I did notice a great variety of STYLE in how the information was painted onto the knapsack. Some examples showed more of an artistic flair in the design of the typography with a couple of examples where red was used as an accent in addition to the standard white. Some looked like they had been stenciled on and others looked like the soldier had done the painting himself by hand. Also, in your ongoing research, notice some of the decorative devices they used in thier typography back then. I would avoid going overboard unless you can document a like example.

Jeff Lawson
    Rear Guard
    Jeff Lawson
    2nd Vermont, Co. E

Comment

Painting numbers on your knapsack really limits your use of that piece of equipment. Most EBUFU scenerios are unit specific, meaning you may portray different regiments and companies pertaining to the event you are at.

I suggest to you keeping it PEC. Leave the bag plain.
      [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
      [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
      [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
      [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by markmason
        Painting numbers on your knapsack really limits your use of that piece of equipment. Most EBUFU scenerios are unit specific, meaning you may portray different regiments and companies pertaining to the event you are at.

I suggest to you keeping it PEC. Leave the bag plain.
        I agree to a point. Painting the regimental number upon the back in the manner decreed in the U.S. Reg's limits use of such bags at higher end events. (If you click on the link, go to page 22 which is the portion I intended to have copied and pasted herein. Page 21 still has pertinent information on this topic.) However, the regulations also prescribe that the company letter and number of the individual be placed on the inside of the bag. Marking one's bag in such a manner allows for individual identification.

For example, I've been using "C-44" which designates me as a member of Chaps and by my former unit, the 44th Tennessee. On OTB and other ezBoards, I go by Silas44th. When people see a 44 on something, they usually inquire if it's mine. Accordingly, the number and letter together are unique to me so this system works for me.

Your results may vary.
        Silas Tackitt,
        one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Basically, painting your knapsack does limit your impression.

The solution I found was, I had Kieth Rocco (who I happen to be good friends with) paint the Federal eagle on the back of mine, over a few beers, at an event a few years ago.

then it is generic enough, NOT to limit your imprression.

For johnnie, I use an unpainted Mexican War knapsack

John M. Wedeward
          John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
          The Hard Head Mess
          The Old Northwest Volunteers
          5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
          Civil War Battlefield Preservation
          Sons of American Revolution
          Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
          Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
          Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Re: The Knapsack

Weed, what are you doing here?
            Remember when Rocco showed up at a Mudsill event (Old World) with pleats pressed in his pants?
            I could not resist "show and tell".
            This knapsack showed up at a nazi militaria show in Chicago twenty-five years ago. Heth was a three striper with the 26th, had a good war record, and at one time was a recruting party member with the father of Douglas MacArthur in Milwaukee.
            Appears to be name, rack number(?) and unit.
            Steve Sullivan
            46th Illinois
            Co. Mil. Hist.
            Attached Files

Comment

Re: The Knapsack

Originally posted by rogue
              Weed, what are you doing here?
              Remember when Rocco showed up at a Mudsill event (Old World) with pleats pressed in his pants?
              I could not resist "show and tell".
              This knapsack showed up at a nazi militaria show in Chicago twenty-five years ago. Heth was a three striper with the 26th, had a good war record, and at one time was a recruting party member with the father of Douglas MacArthur in Milwaukee.
              Appears to be name, rack number(?) and unit.
              Steve Sullivan
              46th Illinois
              Co. Mil. Hist.
              Oops, 24th!
              Senility creeps in at its petty pace, but ever onward!
              This will earn me no reputation points, but please boys do not take anymore away for such a blatant error!
              Steve Sullivan
              etc.

Comment

I think we all know it was just a joke, Steve. No sweat :)
                Tad Salyards
                Mpls, MN - 33d Wisconsin

Comment

I have posted this elsewhere you might enjoy perusing it:

(Extract from regimental order book of the 68th Indiana Volunteer Infantry, NARA RG 94).

Head Quarters 68th Ind[ian]a Inf[antr]y
                  Camp Dumont Indianapolis Nov 10th 1862

General Order
                  No 16

I. Painting or marking of any kind upon tents without the permission of the commanding officer is forbidden. No painting or marking whatever will be put upon arms, and no painting or marking upon Knap-sacks, haver-sacks, or canteens except in accordance with regulations.

By Order of
                  Edward A. King
                  Col Comdg 68th Ind Infy

King was subsequently promoted to brigade command but, I'm sorry to say, "bought the farm" at Chickamauga.

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                  Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

24th Michigan!

Steve, you have too much Iron in your blood (hemocromotosis like me) - so you can give the pint of blood EVERY week like have had to for over 20 years!!! Actually now they have me sticking myself and doing the blood thing at home by myself. I already have some great ideas of the use of the real blood at living histories! :wink_smil
                    My great grandfather Cpl Arnold Rader, Co C, 46th Illinois is turning over in his grave at Davis. :sarcastic

John M. Wedeward
                    Co. E,
                    33d Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry

(Amazing how I come out of the wood work, when I'm tried of sewing)

ps. TAD, I finished your sack coat today!

Weed
                    Last edited by weed; 07-03-2004, 07:42 AM.
                    John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                    The Hard Head Mess
                    The Old Northwest Volunteers
                    5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
                    Civil War Battlefield Preservation
                    Sons of American Revolution
                    Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry