Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How late were State Buttons in the ranks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How late were State Buttons in the ranks?

I would like to place state buttons on some of my federal coats but I am curious as to how late in the war state buttons were appearing on federal jackets. I scanned the forums and didn't see any posts. Any info would be helpful.

Brian Schwatka
    Brian Schwatka
    Co. K 3rd US Regulars
    "Buffsticks"

Re: How late were State Buttons in the ranks?

Have done a lot of relic hunting in the Petersburg area. From what I and my buddies have recovered, state buttons are few in number compared to standard eagle buttons. My guess would be approximately 100 eagle buttons to 1 state button. New York buttons are the most prevalent Fed state button and are found occasionaly. IMO the ranks of the state militias dwindled as the war progressed and so did the soldiers using state buttons. After 1862, unless wearing a frock coat, I would stick to eagle buttons.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

The answer to your question is, "It all depends on the state." Available reference works indicate in the case of Indiana, for example, there were apparently never any official "state buttons": these were post-war creations.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Based upon findings and discussions with D. P. Newton of the White Oak Museum near Falmouth, VA, it appears that much of the initial state issued clothing of Federal units on the Army of the Potomac was replaced during the winter of 1862-63. This is particularly true of New England units, and goodly amounts of Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New Hampshire buttons in specific clumps seems to point to a "casting off" of old garments, probably state pattern frocks. New York buttons are, of course, another story. D.P. has many of these sites well marked on maps he prepared to document his finds.

Bob Williams
        Reilly's NC Btty.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks especially for the New Hampshire data as that is the state buttons I was thinking about. It was my general belief that they were not to common after 63. Oh well I will keep a couple coats handy for both early and late war. Thanks again gentlemen.

Brian Schwatka
          Brian Schwatka
          Co. K 3rd US Regulars
          "Buffsticks"

Comment

For what it's worth, there were Wisconsin troops wearing State of Wisconsin blouses with State buttons as late as the Battle of Shiloh.

-Tad
            Tad Salyards
            Mpls, MN - 33d Wisconsin

Comment

My good friend Seward Osborne once told me that he had an image dated to Spring 1864 that showed the Head Quarters of the 120th NYSV. Two guards are seen in the image, wearing New York Jackets.The indication here is that, at least in the 120th, NY state buttons were evident into 1864.

Regarding Tad's comment on Wisconsin buttons, there is an infantry dress coat on display at the Wisconsin Veteran's Museum ascribed to a sergeant in the 16th Wisconsin. The coat features rimmed Wisconsin state seal buttons. This coat was certainly issued after the regiment's initial issue of state blouses. When exactly in the life of the garment the buttons were sewn on is not known to me.

One final tidbit, I am aware of a collection that includes the uniform of a Lieutenant in a late war Wisconsin regiment. While the dress coat buttons are U. S. eagles in brass, the vest buttons are small rimmed state seal buttons. The suggestion here is that perhaps the private market for Wisconsin state seal buttons existed throughout the war.

Regards, Bob.
              [B]Robert Braun[/B]

<< Il nous faus de l'audace, encore l'audace, toujours l'audace! >>

Comment

Did someone say Wisconsin?

Wisc Badge came from a Sutherland Station camp (very late war after Lee's surrender) and the button came from Fredricksburg (who knows when it was lost).
                Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:27 PM.
                Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Wisconsin State buttons were found (dug) at South Mountain battlefield during the Antietam Campaign. The 2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin (Gibon's Brigade) fought at were they were dug. (Turnner's Gap)

John M Wedweard
                  33d Wisconsin
                  Co. Military Historians
                  John M. Wedeward

33d Wisconsin Volunteers
                  The Hard Head Mess
                  The Old Northwest Volunteers
                  5th Kentucky Vol's (Thomas' Mudsills)

Company of Military Historians
                  Civil War Battlefield Preservation
                  Sons of American Revolution
                  Sons of Union Veterans

http://www.cwuniforms.net

Ancestors:

Pvt. John Wedeward, Co. A, 42 Illinois Vol. Infantry
                  Cpl. Arnold Rader, Co. C, 46th Illinois Vol. Infantry
                  Brigadier Gen. John Fellows, 21st Continental Regiment

Comment

Originally posted by markj
                    The answer to your question is, "It all depends on the state." Available reference works indicate in the case of Indiana, for example, there were apparently never any official "state buttons": these were post-war creations.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                    Interesting, considering the number of "dug" indiana civil war buttons I have seen for sale... Can you site your reference on this please?
                    -------------------------------------------
                    Damon Palyka
                    11th Indiana Zouaves Co. H
                    N-SSA Miller Award Winner 2004

Comment

Just a quick thougth here. When a state raised a new regiment is it possible that there initial issue at home station were uniforms provided by the state and thus have state butons? So that only newer regiments would have them.
                      Does anyone know whether the state or the federal government had to provide the uniforms prior to mustering in?
                      I am, etc.
                      Thomas Gingras
                      Awkward Squad Mess
                      Columbia Rifles
                      Honorary SRR "Yankee"

Comment

Originally posted by dpalyka
                        Interesting, considering the number of "dug" indiana civil war buttons I have seen for sale... Can you site your reference on this please?
                        Got curious and did a quick check in Tices book "Uniform buttons of the United States, 1776 - 1865. It skipps from Illinois to Kentucky. No mention of Indiana buttons. Can't say that I have ever seen a dug one.
                        Jim Mayo

CW Show and Tell Site

Comment

Albert's lists Indiana buttons but unfortunately doesn't give a date for them. The only comment regarding Indiana buttons in Binder's "Civil War Collector's Guide to Albert's Button Book" is "To my knowledge, all Indiana buttons are late" page 31.

I would be curious too as to where the dug Indiana buttons came from.
                          Jim Kindred

Comment

How about state buttons for the confederate side? This has been a debate in my unit. Any ideas? An interesting angle is in New Market they found 3 unmarked graves of confederates, All had eagle buttons. Cpl Dan Morgan 10thVA(IVR)

Comment

Originally posted by Skeet
                              How about state buttons for the confederate side? This has been a debate in my unit. Any ideas? An interesting angle is in New Market they found 3 unmarked graves of confederates, All had eagle buttons. Cpl Dan Morgan 10thVA(IVR)
                              One example of late Confederate clothing with State buttons is a Richmond Depot (Type III) jacket shown in the COnfederate Echoes of Glory book that is identified to a 6th South Carolina infantryman that has South Carolina State seal buttons applied. (Sure would be nice if someone would make those :)) The text states that the soldier must have applied the buttons himself.

In terms of Eagle buttons on Confederate uniform jackets, I find this to be a common preactice. In fact I recall reading somewhere that a large number of Eagle "I" buttons were found in and around Richmond, leading credence to them being added to Confederate jackets at the time of manufacture.
                              ~ Chris Hubbard
                              Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                              [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Working...
                              X