Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How late were State Buttons in the ranks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How late were State Buttons in the ranks?

Originally posted by JimKindred
    Albert's lists Indiana buttons but unfortunately doesn't give a date for them. The only comment regarding Indiana buttons in Binder's "Civil War Collector's Guide to Albert's Button Book" is "To my knowledge, all Indiana buttons are late" page 31.

I would be curious too as to where the dug Indiana buttons came from.
    Yeah, I know of no antebellum or wartime "state button" for Indiana. There is no mention made of them in the Spring and Summer 1861 "specs" published by the Indiana QMG for state-issue uniforms. I hasten to add that advertisements for commercial outlets for military gear, such as "Baldwin's Fancy Bazaar" of Indianapolis, make no mention of state buttons either. Indeed, Baldwin's was a licensed agent for Horstmann Bros. of Philadelphia so, undoubtedly, whatever Horstmann was offering was identical to what was in Baldwin's.

What little specific information I've uncovered about Indiana antebellum militia units indicates they purchased their gear from large commercial suppliers out East.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

So, state buttons were common up to what year? After that it was pretty much Eagle I? I'm sure it was a lot easier to get eagle buttons than state buttons. Cpl Dan Morgan 10thVA(IVR)

Comment

Well, I own 3 New York buttons dug from the Cedar creek, two coat size and one cuff size. So, there is a good chance their from 1864, but with all the fighting around there it might be earlier.

Comment

Re: How late were CS State Buttons in the ranks?

There are stories about relic hunters in NC finding gobs of NC "Sunburst" buttons in locations where Johnston's army was issued clothing after Bentonville. It is thought by some that these western Rebs removed the NC buttons and attached the (home state?) buttons from their old jackets. Or, since the Sunbursts were weakly soldered, they may have started popping off en masse as soon as the jackets were donned.
          [SIZE=1]Neal W. Sexton[/SIZE]

Comment

Let's not dismiss private purchase too quickly.

What Indiana called for in her initial advertisements, what was purchased by Indiana, what was available to Hoosiers early on, and what was available to Hoosiers as far as insignia late in the war, may all have been very different things. Indiana didn't "issue" the little badge insignia either did she? Like the Wisconsin example provided by Jim. They are out there though, and is there any reason that they should not be considered? Do we happen to have advertisements from companies that sold military goods for those?

I know of one coat that is Id'd, with Indiana cuff staff buttons, but only cuff buttons. Knowing the collector and being familiar with the clothing portions of his collection and his collecting history, I would hazard to just ignore it, suspect yes, maybe, but not simply ignored.

That doesn't in the least mean however that Indiana "issued" buttons with her seal. Mark has posted for us the initial advertisements, that's not his opinion, it's primary source, and must be considered.

Folks in Ohio have long argued over seal buttons. The Ohio Military Board specifically mentions army general service buttons in their published rules regarding procurement, as early as June of 1861. Ohio had a host of plates, that somewhat supports "state" insignia enthusiasts, though some of the earliest Ohio Id'd images show general service plates worn.

I would imagine, after looking over much of the same type material concerning Ohio, which provided more troops than Indiana, thus more cost, and material, that general service buttons may not have been quite as common as we believe at the outset. It wasn't as if millions of those things were laying about, the manufacturers waiting for a war to break out.

To a degree, IMO, much probably depended on how far advanced the individual state militia systems were, who had their act together.

Officers regulation buttons may have been around in some numbers due simply the fact that they were private purchase, houses may have had access. IMO, probably the best bet for early buttons less what has been established.

As far as "dug" artifacts, to each his own. Have seen way too many postwar "state" dug buttons being sold as "authentic" any more to put too much stock in much of it. Hicklen, probably, Joe Schmoe on eBay, sadly, another story. The auctions that drive me nuts being the "dug" Fall Creek buttons, and the amazing Confederate flag of the month discoveries.

Worthy of further research, would look into it with an open mind.

The reasons those books refer to them as late, and "maybes", is simply that much of the research hasn't been done, with folks on both sides of the aisle being potential customers with varying opinions, IMO.

Regards,

John

John Sarver
            Cin., O.

What, BTW, exactly is the "Miller" award?
            Last edited by Agate; 07-28-2004, 05:02 PM.
            John Sarver

Comment

Working...
            X