Trans-Mississippi uniform accounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trans-Mississippi uniform accounts

I found these while searching the OR's for something completely different, but I think that they contain some good information, so I couldn't just pass them up. Enjoy!

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XV [S# 21]

Confederate Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In West Florida, Southern Alabama, Southern Mississippi, And Louisiana From May 12, 1862, To May 14, 1863: And In Texas, New Mexico, And Arizona From September 20, 1862, To May 14, 1863.--#12

SAN ANTONIO, TEX., March 30, 1863.

Lieut. Gen. E. KIRBY SMITH,
    Commanding Trans-Mississippi Dist., Alexandria, La. :

GENERAL: I have the honor to report that I am now on duty at this place, engaged in erecting an extensive Government tannery and woolen factory, and making contracts relative to the accumulation of the largest possible amount of shoes and army clothing for general distribution; also for the making up of all raw material obtained either by purchase or manufacture. I am acting under orders from the Secretary of War, directing me to report for special service under instructions from the Quartermaster-General. A copy of this order I herewith inclose. I will not trouble you with a copy of my instructions, which are lengthy and in detail, but are specific, and fully embrace all of my operations.

The factory and tannery are progressing rapidly, and the latter should be in operation in two or three months from this time, and under the new system ought to turn out sufficient leather for at least 30,000 pairs of shoes every two months. The completion of the factory will of course be contingent upon the arrival of the requisite machinery from abroad, preparatory steps for which have been taken.

I have also contracted with most reliable and energetic parties for the delivery here from abroad of a very heavy invoice of army clothing, among which are the following, viz: 30,000 black army hats, 150,000 yards gray army cloth, 60,000 pairs of woolen socks, 30,000 flannel shirts, 50,000 pairs flannel drawers, 50,000 pairs of army shoes, 60,000 heavy blankets, and a complete supply of tailor's and shoemaker's findings.

To meet all these undertakings and to carry them out successfully I have been fully authorized to buy and export cotton, and to that end have purchased and will have purchased nearly 8,000 bales, a great portion of which is awaiting transportation.

There are and have been such an army of contractors and agents all over this State, bidding against each other, to the detriment of the country, by a sacrifice of time and money, that no transportation can be had except by mere chance. Besides this, the process of exporting cotton has become so complicated, on account of numerous orders and changes, that I do not know whether I will be interfered with or not. In view of all this I respectfully submit to you the necessity of granting me special assistance, as follows, viz: Authority to use unassigned conscripts as teamsters or privates from the ranks when these cannot be obtained; secondly, to take from the ranks or elsewhere such shoemakers, tanners, and tailors as I may need from time to time; and, thirdly, that I may be authorized to give the necessary certificates for the exportation of all cotton purchased by me on Government account, without referring to any local commander.

These suggestions,. general, I am honestly convinced are for the best interests of the service, and I respectfully request your assistance, as without it I can accomplish but little, but with it a great deal.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

T. A. WASHINGTON,
    Major and Quartermaster, C. S. Army.

O.R.-- SERIES I--VOLUME XXII/2 [S# 33]

Correspondence, Orders, And Returns Relating To Operations In Missouri, Arkansas, Kansas, The Indian Territory, And Department Of The Northwest, From January 1 To December 31, 1863.
    CONFEDERATE CORRESPONDENCE, ETC.--#15

HEADQUARTERS TRANS-MISSISSIPPI DEPARTMENT,

CLOTHING BUREAU,
    Shreveport, La., January 18, 1864.

Brig. Gen. W. R. BOGGS, Chief of Staff:

GENERAL: I have the honor to inclose herewith a memoranda of the principal articles issued and manufactured at my office during the year ending December 31,1863. I have called for reports from the different officers charged with the manufacture and issue of clothing, camp and garrison equipage, and, when received, will submit a report of the entire transactions of this bureau throughout the department. With reference to arrangements for this year for providing clothing, camp and garrison equipage for the troops, I will remark that arrangements now exist for the delivery, monthly, at this depot, Jefferson and Tyler, Tex., of from 9,000 to 13,000 hats, at a cost of from $3.25 to $5 each. There are manufactured at this depot, Washington. Ark., and Jefferson, Tyler, Houston, and Austin, Tex., about 10,000 pairs of shoes per month; and, by an arrangement with the Huntsville penitentiary, the clothing bureau is to receive, within twelve months, from that institution 1,200,000 yards of cloth, Osnaburg, cotton jeans, woolen plaids, and woolen jeans. In addition to this, it is expected that the machinery sent to Tyler, Tex., when put in operation, will turn out in the same length of time at least 200,000 yards woolen jeans. With the foundries at Jefferson and Hempstead, Tex., the army can be supplied with cooking utensils; and if ten good molders, ten first-class blacksmiths, and a few No. 1 machinists can be obtained, I can have manufactured axes, nails, and many other articles required by our army. These mechanics cannot be obtained from civil life, and I suggest that inquiry be made throughout the army for them.

While I was in Houston I caused Capt. E. C. Wharton to furnish Lieut. Col. W. J. Hutchins, chief cotton office, with a statement of such articles as our army would need for the ensuing year, and that officer informed that the most strenuous efforts would be made to obtain the supplies. I have entire confidence in his ability to do so, provided the route by Eagle Pass is kept open.

Maj. Charles Russell left for Eagle Pass some time since, with authority to negotiate for and introduce the articles required. I am further assured that General E. B. Nichols has a very large quantity of army supplies, such as we need, at Matamoras, and, with pledges from the cotton office of payment being made in cotton, will introduce them into the country. General Nichols' well-known character is a sufficient guarantee that the goods will be introduced as promised. Major Hart is also sanguine of furnishing a very large quantity of clothing, camp and garrison equipage within this quarter. My transactions have been confined mainly to the limits of the department; the memoranda exhibits, in part, what I have done. During this year I expect to do much more, having every reason to believe that the army can be supplied from home products with 108,000 hats, 40,000 jackets, 40,000 pairs of trousers, 100,000 shirts and drawers, 120,000 pairs of shoes, 3,000 tents, and cooking utensils to meet pressing demands. To accomplish this, however, it will be necessary to keep me amply supplied with funds (I have a very small amount on hand at present), and an efficient officer sent to Tyler to put that machinery to work. I respectfully suggest that Maj. J. J. Busby be ordered on that duty.

Respectfully,

W. H. HAYNES,
    Major and Quartermaster- C. S, A., Chief of Clothing Bureau..
    Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Re: Trans-Mississippi uniform accounts

Wonder what the "black hats" looked like. Maybe the "Frank hat" that Tim Allen makes???

Brian M. DesRochers
    GDI
    Brian DesRochers
    Independent Rifles

Descendant of :

Cpl. James T. Ragsdale, Co. B. 6th Missouri Inf. C.S.A.,
    Thomas Motley, Co. E. 7th Arkansas Inf. C.S.A.,
    Joseph, Jasper, Jerry and Luney Ragsdale, 44th AL Inf C.S.A.

Comment

I can speak for Tyler, TX, and the machinery to make woolen jeans was evidently never installed here. It was probably the machinery that ended up at Prairie Mound, which is between Tyler and Palestine. It never really got operational there, either, though. See: The Autobiography of Henry Merrell: Industrial Missionary to the South (1991) and later OR accounts. Valentine's Hat Factory was established in Tyler in 1863, but there are no records locally, just a street name that may or may not have been the site, a little NE of downtown.

Vicki Betts
      Tyler native and still here
      vbetts@gower.net

Comment

Indeed. This correspondence is quoted, or discussed, in a number of articles about TMD depot operations. Here are several that might interest you:

Adolphus, Frederick. 1996. "Confederate Clothing of the Houston Quartermaster Depot," ‎Military Collector and Historian 48: 171-180.‎

McDonald, K. C. "Trans-Mississippi Confederate Uniforms." Available at the "Lazy Jacks ‎Mess" website: http://members.lycos.co.uk/lazyjacks/article.htm

Nichols, James L. The Confederate Quartermaster in the Trans-Mississippi. Austin TX: ‎University of Texas Press, 1964.‎

Oates, Stephen B. "Supply for Cavalry in the Trans-Mississippi." Military Affairs, 25, 2 ‎‎(Summer 1961), p. 94-99.‎

Windham, William T. "The Problem of Supply in the Trans-Mississippi." The Journal of ‎Southern History, Vol. 27, No. 2 (May 1961), p. 149-168.‎

I also referred to it in a pending article I'm working on dealing with a uniform/equipment contract drawn up to supply Arkansas troops in 1863. I have attached a pdf versions of two of the above articles you might find enjoyable and interesting.

Warning: both files are quite large!

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM.
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Mark,

One of my ongoing projects is researching the need for and supplying of hand cotton and woolen cards in the South during the war. The Houston Telegraph, November 2, 1863, p. 2, c. 3, states "The State Military Board have just received for distribution 30,000 pairs of cotton cards, of European manufacture. They were purchased and imported by, we believe, Ball, Hutchings, & Co., at present of this city, and are sold by the State Board to the counties at $10 per pair, in currency." According to the Online Handbook of Texas, George Ball and John Henry Hutchings were owners of a Galveston company that had moved to Houston for safety, and they were greatly involved in blockade running. The H/T articles have a few sources that I haven't had a chance to run down yet. I just received _Waters of Discord: The Union Blockade of Texas During the Civil War_ by Rodman Underwood, and neither man appears in the index. Does either of these names ring a bell with your Trans-Miss supply research? Do you think they would appear in that massive Citizens file microfilm set that Greg checks periodically? It would indeed be tres kool to find a cache of their paperwork, if for no other reason than to identify the European cotton card producers.

Vicki Betts
          vbetts@gower.net

Comment

Originally posted by vbetts
            Mark,

One of my ongoing projects is researching the need for and supplying of hand cotton and woolen cards in the South during the war. The Houston Telegraph, November 2, 1863, p. 2, c. 3, states "The State Military Board have just received for distribution 30,000 pairs of cotton cards, of European manufacture. They were purchased and imported by, we believe, Ball, Hutchings, & Co., at present of this city, and are sold by the State Board to the counties at $10 per pair, in currency." According to the Online Handbook of Texas, George Ball and John Henry Hutchings were owners of a Galveston company that had moved to Houston for safety, and they were greatly involved in blockade running. The H/T articles have a few sources that I haven't had a chance to run down yet. I just received _Waters of Discord: The Union Blockade of Texas During the Civil War_ by Rodman Underwood, and neither man appears in the index. Does either of these names ring a bell with your Trans-Miss supply research? Do you think they would appear in that massive Citizens file microfilm set that Greg checks periodically? It would indeed be tres kool to find a cache of their paperwork, if for no other reason than to identify the European cotton card producers.

Vicki Betts
            vbetts@gower.net
            Hi Vicki,

Hope all is well in the "Promised Land." Yes, I would suggest you start first with Greg Biggs since he seems to have cut a swath through the Citizens and Business File. I can also try putting you in contact with Fred Adolphus (I have his e-mail) if you'll contact me privately!

markj@purdue.edu

Have a great weekend,

Mark
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Hi Brian,

Originally posted by Lucky
              Wonder what the "black hats" looked like. Maybe the "Frank hat" that Tim Allen makes???

Brian M. DesRochers
              GDI
              The Army Hats Referd to are most likely Imports from England. At Mansfield We have an example of an English import "Army Hat" worn by Col. James Beard of the Consolidated Crescent Regement when he was killed here at Mansfield on April 8th 1864.

I worked with Tim Bender on making a repro of Col Beards hat. Using the information I provided, Tim did a beautiful job of recreating the English Army Hat worn by Col Beard. In general the Import black "army hats" are based on the M1858 Army hat dimensions, granted the hats contracted for were a loose copy of the Hardee. The main differences are that the import hat is lined and the brim has a binding ribbon sewn with two lines of stitching.

Feel free tocontact me if you have any questions

All the best,

Don S
              Don F Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Eureka Independent
                Hi Brian,

The Army Hats Referd to are most likely Imports from England. At Mansfield We have an example of an English import "Army Hat" worn by Col. James Beard of the Consolidated Crescent Regement when he was killed here at Mansfield on April 8th 1864.

I worked with Tim Bender on making a repro of Col Beards hat. Using the information I provided, Tim did a beautiful job of recreating the English Army Hat worn by Col Beard. In general the Import black "army hats" are based on the M1858 Army hat dimensions, granted the hats contracted for were a loose copy of the Hardee. The main differences are that the import hat is lined and the brim has a binding ribbon sewn with two lines of stitching.

Feel free tocontact me if you have any questions

All the best,

Don S
                Hi Don,

Difficult for me to say. However, without giving away the "whole store" when it comes to my article, I uncovered a document requesting various items for the TMD Clothing Bureau. The location and date of the document are not stated but circumstancial evidence puts the date at around June 1863 and location as Shreveport LA. In any event, among the items requested by name are:

‎12 Doz. Officers Bl[ac]k Felt Hats

As for how they appeared or where they came from, it's still a mystery. I'd be very grateful if you could further enlighten me!

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
                X