X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Zouave questions

Pards,
    I have been talked into doing a Confederate Zouave impression( Coppens to be exact) and I am finding a few problems with info on them.
    First is the Jr officer jacket, I have been told that in 61 the jacket was deep blue, just like billy yanks jacket, then I have been told by late 62 early 63 they had been switched to gray, so which is it?
    Next question is pants. I have been told that they are red with a blue stripe down the leg, but then I read in Field's book," American Civil War Confederate Army" that most of the info about the pants is "conjectural". So what is it?Can any of y'all help me out?

Re: Confederate Zouave questions

Hallo Herr Mike!

While so-called "speciality impressions" such as Zouaves, Marines, Sharpshooters, Balloonists, etc, etc., can be done as correctly and authentically as any other...

In general, "specialty impressions" suffer the reputation of being the retreat and haunt of SAC (severely authenticity challenged) and SLHC (severely living history challenged) folks.
    As a result of flagrant "farbism," overt "yahooism," and a general low quality for impression, clothing, gear, weapons, drill, and activities- "speciality troops" enjoy a VERY POOR or EXTREMELY low reputation in the H/A Community (and may would argue even in the M/C Community).

The second issue for authentic and serious "specialty troop impressionists" is that it is a case of usually "being all dressed up and having no where to go."). Meaning, EBUFU and H/A functions choose more PEC type event-specific line infantry units to portray in the first place, and many field commanders do not know what to do with "specialty troops" in the second even when they were actual act that particular battle or engagement.

That tends to pull good people away from the "collective effort" at portraying US and CS line infantry."

At any rate, I am NOT calling into question your Mental Piicture, choice of impression, or level of impression, regarding "Zouaves." Or discouraging you from pursing this information. But rather trying to explain why "things Zouave" may run counter to AC Forum policy- and why you have not received any replies.
    I might would suggest that you post on the Szabo Board, or others, as there are more Zouaves in that segment of the CW Community than are found here.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
    Company "A," 1st USSS (LH)
    Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 07-06-2004, 06:37 PM.
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
    X