Cannonball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannonball

I have a solid round shot supposedly found at Perryville. The diameter is 2.75 inches. My guess is that it came from a M61 Parrott rifle. I'd appreciate any other thoughts.

Peter Schwartz
    33rd Alabama

Re: Cannonball

Originally posted by zathras33
    I have a solid round shot supposedly found at Perryville. The diameter is 2.75 inches. My guess is that it came from a M61 Parrott rifle. I'd appreciate any other thoughts.

Peter Schwartz
    33rd Alabama

Rifled artillery projectiles were not round, They are generally more cylindrical in shape with a rounded nose. Also rifled guns did not typically fire round ammunition since there is no way for the projectile to engage the rifling.
    I am at a loss as to what gun might have fired the shot you have since even the 6 pdr gun diameter was over 3 inches.

Dave Myrick

Comment

Hallo Kamerad!

I would venture a cannister round's ball for the 24 pounder howitzer.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Originally posted by Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
        Hallo Kamerad!

I would venture a cannister round's ball for the 24 pounder howitzer.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt

I'll second Herr Schmidt's proposal and call for a vote. :thumbs_up
        Mark A. Pflum
        Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
        Member:
        CMH
        AHA
        Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

I would say it would be a round ball from a 24pdr grape-shot. The diameter of the grape-shot was to be between 2.60 and 2.64 inches. Whereas the balls for canister-shot are to be 1.32 to 1.35 inches in diameter.

I know it is a fine point, but I think people get grape and canister confused. Grape is similar to and related to canister, but was not used in field pieces. Basically it was a canister for longer ranges, to help break attacks on fortified places.
          Brian Koenig
          SGLHA
          Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Hallo Kamerad!

"I know it is a fine point, but I think people get grape and canister confused. Grape is similar to and related to canister, but was not used in field pieces. Basically it was a canister for longer ranges, to help break attacks on fortified places."

Indeed...
            But I will let the artilleryists discuss this one out. -)

Briefly-
            The terms grape and cannister were even interchanged by CW soldiers themselves much as "musket" and "rifle" were.
            At least from 1841, the only "antipersonnel" loads for field pieces were spherical case and cannister. (spherical case reaching out further than cannister or grape, and cannister delivering more small balls at close range) Most, if not every, artilleryman understand the difference, but many infantrymen and cavalry wrote in their memoirs as being shot at with grape.
            ;-)

The difference being a "cannister" is a "can" filled with (smaller) balls, a "grape" charge being a layers of (larger) balls spaced with wood and held together with an iron bolt.

Yes, in the Manual, the Cannister and Grape Shot has the 24 pounder illustrated and listed as "Grape."

Danke, Herr Brian, for keeping we "infantrymen" honest!"

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
            Wondering What Fortifications at Perryville Received Grape Shot Mess :-)
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Peter,
              How refined is the shot?
              Does it have any pronounced mold seams or spurs? Many examples of large
              grape I have seen exhibit crude features.
              Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-06-2004, 05:46 PM.
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
                Peter,
                How refined is the shot?
                Does it have any pronounced mold seams or spurs? Many examples of large
                grape I have seen exhibit crude features.
                It has an obvious equitorial mold seam, is 2.75" in diameter, and weighs 3.5 lb. I hadn't thought of grape. I thought it might have been used in a Parrott in spite of its not being a bolt because a M61 Parrot was the only thing at Perryville with a bore the approximate diameter (2.9").

I appreciate all of the comments.

Comment

Give Tom Land a call up at Bibb Naval Furnace/Brierfield: (205) 665-1856. If he doesn't know, Dr. Mahan will.

Likely you'll get an answering machine, or a referral to Tom's Cahaba Trace Commission office-as is the norm these days, all are short-staffed.
                  Terre Hood Biederman
                  Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
                  Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinster
                    Give Tom Land a call up at Bibb Naval Furnace/Brierfield: (205) 665-1856. If he doesn't know, Dr. Mahan will.

Likely you'll get an answering machine, or a referral to Tom's Cahaba Trace Commission office-as is the norm these days, all are short-staffed.
                    Thanks, Terre, for the suggestion.

Peter

Comment

Peter,

A pronounced seam is also often an indicator of an encased shot like cannister, grape, or case shot.
                      John Stillwagon

Comment

Parrots did not fire solid round shot, they were rifled pieces. There was a 3lb smoothbore that fired a 2.84 in rd that was about 3.05 lbs.

Checking some reference material I located, there was no cannister with balls that large or heavy even up to an 8in siege gun. Grape for some pieces such as 24 and 32 pound came close to what you are describing, with grape diameters ranging from 2.6-2.9 in and weights between 2.4 and 3.15 lbs.

The weight of the shot would indicate that it did not come from a 6 lb gun as the shot for that would be about 6 lbs.

I must admit that I have not investigated all artillery pieces that were used at Perryville, but being fairly familiar with the mixed bag of guns the Confederate artillery had, I would have to review the order of battle and then research how each battery was equipped. But if I were a betting man I would guess that one of the Confederate batteries had a 3 lb field piece for the likelyhood of them having large caliber would be slim as most pieces over 20 lbs was not consider "field artillery." In reference to the mixed bag, it was not unusual, especially prior to 1863 for Confederate batteries to have as an example 2 10 lb parrots, 1 3 in ordnance piece and a 6 lb smoothbore. A good reference to this is "Artillery Hell, the Employment of Artillery at Antietam"

s/f

DJM
                        Dan McLean

Cpl

Failed Battery Mess

Bty F, 1st PA Lt Arty
                        (AKA LtCol USMC)

[URL]http://www.batteryf.cjb.net[/URL]

Comment

Originally posted by marine05
                          Parrots did not fire solid round shot, they were rifled pieces. There was a 3lb smoothbore that fired a 2.84 in rd that was about 3.05 lbs....

DJM
                          In Ken Noe's book, Appendix 2 contains a listing of all of the guns used at Perryville by both sides. The lightest used by either side was a 6 pdr.

Perhaps I was misinformed as to the shot's location.
                          :baring_te

Comment

Working...
                          X