Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Average Life Expectancy

We'd been discussing this on the "Reenactor's Age" thread,
    http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...2&page=1&pp=10 , but I thought it kind of deserves it's own thread.

I was researching something entirely different when I chanced upon the following, which has some really interesting facts about life expectency during the days at Plimouth Plantation and early New England.
    http://www.plimoth.org/learn/history/myth/Deadat40.asp I realize that it's rather before our time, but the information is still quite fascinating when one considers all the hardships that our ancestors endured when first settling this country. I know my great (however many times) grandfather didn't make it the first winter at Plimouth, :cry_smile but his son did, thanks to Kathy Bradford's great whatever grandfather :wink_smil

If you'd like to read up on some other statistics closer to the CW era, see:
    Report on the vital statistics of the United States, made to the Mutual life insurance company of New York, by James Wynne., 1857, at the University of Michigan's Making of America website:

Linda Trent
    lindatrent@zoomnet.net
    Linda Trent
    [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
    It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Re: Average Life Expectancy

Hallo Kameraden und Kameradeninnen!

Thanks for putting that up.

Just two quick comments. I believe that those having lived longer than the "expectancy" skew a little the infant and childhood mortality rates on the other side of the equation.
    And, King Charles stood 4' 7" BEFORE they cut off is head.

Just teasing on the second one, but I probably should avoid the armor rooms at museums because mostly all they have are childrens' armor.
    Again, just teasing.

Indeed, the longer a person DOES live, the longer a person TENDS to live longer- as the environmental and genetic factors that end life early can and often have largely been met and overcome. (Cigars and women did not slow George Burns down much... ;-) )

Thanks again for putting that up.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
    Old School Anthropology/Archeology Mess
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Re: Average Life Expectancy

I thought that the following was interesting about my personal interest in the Eppes and Horner families of which several of you have been viewing journal excerpts from Dr. Richard Eppes III. Nevertheless, while just being something I found interesting my friend Brian Koenig suggested I post this. It is interesting how these two families have similarities in the closing of their respective lives.

Members of Richard Cocke Eppes' immediate family and in-laws:

1. Benjamin Cocke (Father)- 56 in 1836.
      2. Mary Eppes Cocke (Mother)- 60 in 1844.
      3. Richard Cocke Eppes III (Richard Eppes Cocke until 1840)- 72 in 1896.
      4. Dr. William E. Horner (Father-in-law)- 60 in 1853.
      5. Elizabeth Welsh Horner (Mother-in-law)- 79 in 1879.
      6. Elizabeth Welsh Horner "Elise" Eppes (Second wife)- 73 in 1905.
      7. Josephine Horner Eppes (first born child of Richard and Elise)- 65 in 1920.
      8. Richard Eppes IV (son of Richard and Elise)- 57 or 58 in 1922 (cause of death-suicide)

9. Elise Eppes Cutchin (granddaughter of Richard and Elise)-86 in 1993.
      Just thought it was interesting.
      Last edited by Emmanuel Dabney; 07-07-2004, 08:12 PM.
      Sincerely,
      Emmanuel Dabney
      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
      http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Working...
      X