Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Attaching buttons to a Confed shell jacket???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attaching buttons to a Confed shell jacket???

Hello,

I saw some time ago a shell jacket used by someone in a Tenn. (ANV) regiment that had artillery buttons (even though he was infantry) and they were attached with a single piece of string/twine looping through the shanks. I've never since seen this jacket nor any mention of how common it was to attach buttons in this manner.

Does anyone else know more on this? Are there any more surviving examples that have buttons attached in this fashion? What would be the best way to attempt this and what gauge string/twine should be used?

Any photos or info would be appreciated. Sorry if this has been covered before but I found no mention of it when I did a search. Maybe I used the wrong key words.

Jim Ross
    James Ross

Re: Attaching buttons to a Confed shell jacket???

The only thing close to this I've seen is a non-military application: buttons on children's stays being attached with a loop of narrow tape, rather than threads. That's not useful for military research, though.
    Regards,
    Elizabeth Clark

Comment

I remember someone posting this same thing on the 'old' board' they had pictures..as I remember it both cord and cloth tape were used to hold down buttons thru their loops, then was sewn down ( shanks of buttons protruded thru small slits in shell jacket)..remember cause I'd never seen this method before ( but it makes good sense!)..."seems" like the photos were from the Confederate Museam in Richmond but????..anybody out there remember this too???

Gary Mitchell
      1st Stuart horse artillery
      Gary Mitchell
      2nd Va. Cavalry Co. C
      Stuart's horse artillery

Comment

Not exactly related, but interesting, none the less. Check this out:

"The way these buttons were attached to the coat by Pendelton is also very interesting in that they are held in place with square cut nails running through the shank of the button inside the fabric of the coat."
        Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 07-07-2004, 10:46 AM.
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Jim, Gary,

David Chinnis had posted photographs of the Bomar frock coat which utilizes this system of button attachment. As most of you know, the Bomar coat & trousers reside in the collection of the SC Confederate Relic Room & Museum located in Columbia, SC. Basically, a piece of cotton twill tape is run down the length of the buttons, through the shanks, with the tape being sewn down on each side. I'm sure David will chime in and add some photographs here shortly. In a nutshell though, yes, this is at least one example on a military garment where buttons were attached in that manner. Hope this helps.

Neill Rose
          Palmetto Living History Association

Comment

Are the holes in the placket for the shanks finished?

I have seen more than a few SAW and WW1 jackets that have buttons afixed in this manner. All have whipped eyelets for the shanks and the buttons being held in place with small split-rings.
            Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-07-2004, 12:23 PM. Reason: 'were'
            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I can't comment on how common this technique is on military garments, but it can be found quite frequently on civilian clothing from the period, both men's and women's.

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
              Are the holes in the placket for the shanks finished?
              On some original garments, very neatly sewn eyelets are used for the 'holes' for the shanks. On other garments, usually constructed from a more loosely woven fabric, an awl was used to separate the threads and the shank pushed through between the fibers. This technique does not permanently alter the fabric, something to be considered if the garment might be re-made or re-worked for future use.

The fiber used to hold the shanks in place varies. On some garments it's a piece of string or cord, on others a piece of cotton or linen tape. On the garments I've examined the string or tape is not stitched in place. The diameter or width is sufficiently large to hold the shanks of the buttons in place without additional stitching.

I have seen more than a few SAW and WW1 jackets that have buttons afixed in this manner. All have whipped eyelets for the shanks and the buttons being held in place with small split-rings.
              I've also found these on original garments from the mid-19th century, but I could never be certain if the split rings were original to the garment or added later. And the research into that question is still on my "to do" list. :-)
              Carolann Schmitt
              [email]cschmitt@genteelarts.com[/email]
              20th Annual Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, March 6-9, 2014

Comment

Hello,
                From looking at some uniforms and talking with a few folks and even looking at a few books I saw. The most common used way that I use today is a single thread starting with through the shank what looks like 3 to 5 times and then wrap the thread around the bottom of the shank between the cloth and the shank. This action will protect the thread from the cloth. The funny thing is that many folks loose buttons off their uniforms but when you try it this way the thread is really protected as I said. To finnish the stich off after you wrap it around for the last time, go back into the cloth to lock the stitch into place and cut the end off. It is easy just to show it and much harder to write it. LOL

Your Servant,
                K.J. Reihl
                Last edited by amazingkenneth; 07-08-2004, 09:35 PM. Reason: remove site address
                [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]Kenneth J. Reihl[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Good morning,

The shell jacket Moonshine spoke is, I suppose, the one pictured in on old Osprey booklet : Confederate, Artillery, Cavalry and Infantry by Philip Katcher. Number 170

There is four black and white pictures, inside and out of the same jacket. The text is :

«*Four views of the all-grey uniform jacket worn by private Joseph P. Lyle, 63rd Tennessee Infantry Regiment (despite the artillery buttons), Army of Northern Virginia. The jacket is medium grey, the lining white, and the buttons brass. Note how the buttons are attached by means of a string passing through the loops.*»

The jacket look like a RDIII but i am not an expert to be sure !

In The Confederate sketchbook, By Michael R. Thomas, you have also a vest drawing witch buttons are attached by a nearly similar way :

«*Buttons not sewn to front of vest. The shank passes through a small raw hole in the front of the vest and is then sewn to a small square of material.*»

Hope this can help…
                  [I]Gettysburg 1993
                  Red River Campaign, April 3-9 1994[/I]

Jean-Marc "Blum" Atlan

Comment

The Courtney Jenkins jacket has its buttons attached in this manner. It is made from satinet, and according to my notes, it does not have any whip stitching around the button shank. As Ms. Schmitt said, an awl or bone stiletto was used to make a hole and the shank passed through the fabric. Because the jacket is in such good shape, there are no open seams to say what kind of material is actually holding the button shanks on.
                    Michael McComas
                    drudge-errant

Comment

Working...
                    X