Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina Shell Jackets

Hello All,
    Here is my question that I hope someone can lead me to the correct location for info and a pic. Someone had told me of a NC Shell Jacket with a fold down collar? If so is there any where I can see a pic of info on this?

Your Servant,
    K.J. Reihl
    Last edited by amazingkenneth; 07-08-2004, 09:34 PM. Reason: removal of web address
    [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]Kenneth J. Reihl[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: North Carolina Shell Jackets

I only know of standard pattern collars that are simply folded or rolled down.
    I cannot give you a specific image offhand but if you have access to State Troops and Volunteers-A Photographic Record of North Carolina's Civilian Soldiers, 1995, Edited by Greg Mast, you MIGHT find a soldier-rolled-down collar there.

Contact Ben Tart to be sure.
    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-08-2004, 11:25 PM. Reason: comma
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Thanks, I will take a look. I am thinking that if they were made they would have been made just after the NC Sack coats. Maybe they might have wanted to have the same style look as the sack.

Your Servant,
      K.J. Reihl
      Last edited by amazingkenneth; 07-08-2004, 09:34 PM. Reason: removel of web address
      [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

It certainly would cut down on chafing.

...Depot Jacket came just after '61 warrent was issued.

No roll/fold down collar or open placket jacket was produced in numbers for issue by NC. But again, they are in images.

Maybe there was a special requistion ( QM Form 40) order filled with a private contractor somewhere but not the State of NC. If so it would be company or battery specific, very short term in use and would not fit within the confines of ''issue''.

Some general service jackets had collars to short to fold.

My twenty year old Tart / Bull made depot collar folds down smartly. The characteristics of the '61 coat's collar would lend itself to this practice as well.
        Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-08-2004, 11:06 PM. Reason: spelin
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Hi There,

North Carolia did, for a brief time early in the war, issue some jackets that appeared to be simply shortening the pattern (of their 1861 sack coats) to waist length. If you can get a copy of Greg Mast's book there are several photos of N.C. troops wearing shelljackets with fold down collars and the colored shoulder patches like the sack coats. On pages 125 and 126 of Mast's book are photos of 3 different troopers of the 1st N.C. Cavalry wearing such jackets. In the TIME-LIFE "Voices of the Civil War" Gettysburg volume, page 117, there is a photo of Sgt. Thomas Marks of the 53rd N.C. Infantry wearing such a jacket. This photo may have been made while he served in the artillery early in the war, before he transferred to the 53rd. I hope this helps.

Larry

Comment

I love this site for the info I can get. I thank everyone for their input. I will look forward to looking into that info.

Your Most Humble Servant,
            K.J. Reihl

Comment

Re: It certainly would cut down on chafing.

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
              No roll/fold down collar or open placket jacket was produced for issue by NC.
              Maybe there was a special requistion ( QM Form 40) order filled with a private contractor somewhere but not the State of NC. If so it would be company specific, very short term in use and would not fit within the confines of ''issue''.
              I am not so sure about this. Photographic evidence of these jackets being worn by members of differing units, plus their resemblance to sack coats issued by the state, would seem to indicate that this could indeed have been an issued item. I would defer to my esteemed colleagues in the NSR and MOH in Raleigh on this subject (and Mr. Mast), but for the brief period of time between the initial uniform- i.e. sack coat- regulations and regulations of February 1862 when the now-familiar NC shell jacket pattern was specified, there is at least the possibility that such an interim type of jacket could have been produced and issued. I do know that some feel this type jacket may have been the result of a special requisition, which requested to the effect that sack coats be cut to the length of jackets. However this has always puzzled me, as some photographs of these jackets seem to indicate a 7 button front, and sack coats had only 6. Any thoughts?

Rich Croxton
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Rich, I do agree somewhat.

As I stated earlier fold down collars or folded collars are demonstrated in original images. But not in general service issue numbers and not as form 20 unit issue '63-'65 uniforms.

If any are interested in wearing one then find a unit that had them and wear them at the one or two events that are covered within the blanket of Authentic Campaigning they would fit. If not the numbers are so small they almost fit into the curiosity dept.

North Carolina’s Depot system was successful because of simplicity, uniformity and the lack of any need to modify the system with numerous patterns.
                Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-09-2004, 11:47 AM. Reason: added ' ' to dates
                B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

The question of Folded vs Patterned Rolled Collars aside I think the NC DEPOT JACKET IS THE MOST IGNORED COMMON ISSUE JACKET TODAY.
                  Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-08-2004, 11:30 PM.
                  B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
                    The question of Folded vs Patterned Rolled Collars aside I think the NC DEPOT JACKET IS THE MOST IGNORED COMMON ISSUE JACKET IN USE TODAY.
                    Like the man said in the movie.... Good words Buck! All good words!

Rich Croxton
                    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Working...
                    X