Kent ,Paine and Co. Jacket of E. Courtney Jenkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kent ,Paine and Co. Jacket of E. Courtney Jenkins

Hi Mike, Didn't look at the Jenkins trousers, actually spent about 3 hours examining the Jackets of Greer,Jenkins and the two Redwoods along with the Moses Alexander Haversack. What did you think of the belt loops on the Jenkins? I am surprised that they stayed on the coat throughout it's long life.

Charlottesville Grey would probably mean that the material actually could have come from the Mill at Scottsville.
    Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
    PO BOX 4849
    Midlothian, VA 23112
    www.richmonddepot.com
    (804)305-2968

Comment

I believe that the guy who made the Mcdowells may have been Tom Tankersley who I have heard died a few years ago from cancer. We did the Co.F 20th Maine many years ago with the foundation of all the members, myself included ,coming from the Interpreters at Ft. Harrison where we portrayed the lads from Co.H, 98th New York. I learned my sewing skills from Willie Balderson 3 days a week after school sewing Federal Double bag knapsacks.
      Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
      PO BOX 4849
      Midlothian, VA 23112
      www.richmonddepot.com
      (804)305-2968

Comment

Scott,

Those belt loops are something. They're definitely cotton twill tape, but the original color is a matter of some speculation. They could be a logwood gray that oxidized, or they could just be a very dark natural cotton. My impression was that it was dyed somehow. I was impressed by the rough way they were stitched on, too, right through the body and lining.

I'm not surprised that they're still there, considering Jenkins was only in the infantry for a couple months before taking his commission in the navy. You can tell the uniform saw scant use from looking at the trousers (well worth the time the next time you visit!), because they're hardly scuffed or worn in the knees or the seat. I think the missing tape on the left side of the jacket collar is more likely moth damage than wear and tear. By most accounts, Jenkins was a "sickly" lad and likely would have been buried in that uniform if he hadn't gone to sea.

I believe he mentioned the Scottsville mill. Do you know who owned it or what else they might have been producing during the war?
        Michael McComas
        drudge-errant

Comment

Working...
        X