Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfield bayonet contractor question

Here's a question for the experts.

I picked up an original enfield bayonet this weekend, for $70, and cleaned the rust off of it enough to see a marking on the blade. It's very shallow and reads
    "W&E" or "W&L" what contractor would this be?? the peculiar thing is that you read it with the blade pointing down rather than up. there is also a stamp of "24" on the base of the socket.

Any info is greatly appriciated.

sidedrummer@lycos.com

Re: Enfield bayonet contractor question

Sorry, I did some more cleaning and discovered the name is "W&B" not W&E.

I hope this brings a response,

sidedrummer@lycos.com

Comment

Maybe it is a commercial contract from Wade and Butcher, Sheffield England. W&B Bowies and razors were common in the USA before WWI. They made knives, razors, cutlery, etc. from about 1819 to 1918.

You can also ask on the bayonet collector's forum at Society of American Bayonet Collectors. They know more than me.

Cody Hauser
      Last edited by Burpyturtle; 07-13-2004, 08:15 PM. Reason: name
      [FONT=Verdana]Cody Hauser[/FONT]

Comment

Are you shure it is not WD? WD would stand for War Department, and would be accompanied with a broad arrow mark.
        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

No it isn't W^D I have a brit WD marked bayonet, and this one looks very diferent from the W^D bayonet. The stamp is literally W&B the & is included in the stamp. I believe Mr. Hauser hit the nail on the head with Wade & Butcher. Also as I mentioned in my first post, to read the W&B, you hold the bayonet with the blade pointing down. I have never seen a brit W^D marked bayonet read like that, every single one I've seen has read with the blade pointing up.

It will be very hard, but I will try and post a pic or scan of the mark
          Attached Files
          Last edited by rebyank; 07-14-2004, 04:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X