Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US exporting weapons durring the war

I ran accross this :

"Another attempt was made by the Mexicans to get into the farm, but it was beaten with ease. But by noon, the company's youngsters, (nos benjamins) Jean-Louis Timmermans was mortal wounded (he later died in prison from two gut wounds), and Johan Reuss was killed. They were seventeen and this was their first engagement. A few others were also killed or wounded. Somewhere beyond the walls, the Legionnaires heard the sound of drums and bugles. They were convinced it was a relief column. Legionnaires cheered "They've come! We are saved!", as they listened to the sweet sound of the bugles and drums of the incoming troops. But, Sergeant Morzycki still on the roof reported to Lt. Vilain, that he estimated that they were 1,000 Mexican infantrymen, worse yet, they were armed with American Spencer and Sharp carbines, which are much better than the French Minie rifle, and they also brought a canon. Waving in the wind, the colors of the units were identified as the Vera Cruz Battalion, the Jalapa Battalion, and the Cordoba Battalion commanded by Colonel Francisco Milan. Col. Milan, detailed to attack the convoy, had diverted his units to complete the destruction of the Legion company. "

At this Link: http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums...ic.php?t=18652

Indicating that the Mexican army in 63 was armed with spencer and sharps carbines. Could this be true? Did the US have extra arms to sell to Mexico?

Thanks,
    Mark C. Foster

Re: US exporting weapons during the war

In addition to the application of the Monroe Doctrine, the thought of the Confederacy having an ally in the form of the French to the south led the US to recognize and assist Benito Juarez and his faction in the Mexican Civil War, which was happening at the same time as the one discussed on this forum. Arms shipments were included as part of that assistance. I don't recall where I found the reference, but I believe some of these arms given to Mexico from the US were sold to the Confederacy. I do know that a British cargo ship was confiscated by the French after it had only unloaded a portion of its cargo off Matamoras of 10,000 Enfield rifles because the French feared the weapons were destined for their Mexican enemies.

The political situation around the Rio Grande at that time was very complex, and the intertwining alliances can be quite confusing to follow. I am currently reading a book that deals in part with a proposed US/CS campaign to drive the French out of northern Mexico and annex those parts to the US in the last few months of the American Civil War.
    Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Re: US exporting weapons durring the war

I've read of the Sharps being a very popular weapon in Mexica even prior to the War. I know some Juaristas were carrying Sharps carbines of varying lineage at various times and that it was a prized weapon, however I've not heard of the Spencer ever being used against the French in Mexico. That said... the French bought up ever Spencer they could lay their hands on for the Franco Prussian War as they were well aware of it's usefulness, though this was several years later.
      Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
      SUVCW Camp 48
      American Legion Post 352
      [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

As John Reynolds was dying on the field at Gettysburg, the ever industrious Manhattan mercantilists were busy at their trade:

"New York, July 1, 1863—12.20 p. m.
        Hon. E. M. STANTON:

Permission is requested to ship thirty cases condemned muskets per ship Surprise to Hong Kong sailing Saturday. Please answer immediately.

AUSTIN BALDWIN & Co."

Methinks Stanton had other things on his mind...
        Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
        – George Washington , 1789

Comment

Ah, Camerone! One of the great last stands in history. Thanks for the link! My favorite part: "Sgt. Schaffner, Cpl. Pinzinger, Legionnaires Brunswick, Constantin and Fritz received the Légion d'Honneur."

As for exports, many of those Sharps may have gone south before the war. The Sharps' company published a short manual of instructions and maintenance (SHARPS' PATENT IMPROVED BREECH LOADING AND SELF PRIMING RIFLE, CARBINE, AND SHOTGUN, Hartford, May, 1864), which, among other things, speaks of the success of the arm in the hands of satisfied foreign customers, e.g.:

"At the siege of Arequipa, Peru, in March, 1858, over 600 of Vivanco's men were shot down at the barricades by Castilla's attacking forces, armed with Sharps' rifles, sustaining only a trifling loss.

"In April, 1858, Colonel Suasue, at the head of 1,000 men of Vidauri's force, armed with Sharps' carbines, attacked Governor Manero in command of 3,000 men of the government forces at San Louis, in Mexico, and achieved a most signal victory, killing upwards of 600 men, taking the city and making prisoners of Governor Matero and three of his colonels, with a slight loss."

So I imagine that, before 1861, the Sharps' company had plenty of capacity for exports to Mexico, Peru, and -- come to think of it -- Kansas.
          Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Re: US exporting weapons during the war

Originally posted by tmdreb
            I am currently reading a book that deals in part with a proposed US/CS campaign to drive the French out of northern Mexico and annex those parts to the US in the last few months of the American Civil War.
            Could you tell me the name of the book, this seems fascinating to me that the North would consider an alliance when they were so close to victory.
            Eric Ball
            Co. A, 62nd Alabama
            1st Alabama Reserves
            Eric Z. Ball

11B2P
            OEF 10; OEF 11- "College is expensive..." :rolleyes:

GGG Grandson of William Calloway Barnett
            Co. A/F 1st Alabama Infantry
            KIA Island #10 09APR1862

Comment

The name of the book is The Final Fury by Phillip Thomas Tucker.
              Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Working...
              X