High School Class for LH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High School Class for LH

Since the thread is already slightly hijacked onto the current PC concern for guns and violence in school, I can't resist sharing this quote I ran across last night, about an old man recollecting an incident during the school days of his youth and comparing it to the more deadly weapons children bring to school in the present day.

When a child, I recollect one instance of a young man who was going to school to an aged teacher. For some supposed insult, the profligate youth prepared himself with his pocket full of rocks (in this day it would have been with a pistol or bowie-knife), and going to the school-house attacked and beat the old man, and left him half dead, weltering in his blood. (From Autobiography of Dr. J. J. Polk)
    The author was born in 1802, wrote the passage when he was nearly 60, and published it a few years later in 1867.

Hank Trent
    hanktrent@voyager.net
    Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by capt5thusct
      Kurt,
      There is a unit in Rhode Island that portrays the 14th Rhode Island Heavy Artillery which was an African American regiment. The program works with youngsters of less fortunate situations. They go campaign style to events and are some tough kids. I had the privelege of working with them at Olustee, FL this year and am good friends with their Lieutenant. I myself am working on forming a program within my unit, the 5th USCT here in Ohio, just rough starting out due to finding grant money. It would be great to be able to get a national thing going.

Respectfully,
      Andrew Jarvi
      Capt. 5th USCT
      Kurt, your unit soulds like a great one.One question,was there a senior there of Asian Decent who read most of the time named Toto?I'd like to start something like that at my college since we would be the average soldiers age.
      Andrew,what is the 14 RI HA site,or do they have ONE?I've never seen a unit of African Americans campaigning it before,so that sounds like something I'd like to see.
      Cullen Smith
      Cullen Smith
      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Cullen,
        I had a student for a time a couple years ago that matches your description, except his name is Shane (class of '04). He found some cool primary sources on Asians in the Civil War. He was also very involved in scouting.
        I Remain,
        Kurt
        Kurt R. Knierim
        1st Colorado Volunteer Infantry, Co D
        "Gilpin's Pet Lambs"
        Horsetooth Mess
        [I]“…I do think our Co the best that ever was raised in any country all large men
        and the most of them d--- sharp.”[/I][SIZE="1"]
        -Alonzo Ickis, First Colorado Volunteers, 1861[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by tenfed1861
          ...what is the 14 RI HA site,or do they have ONE?I've never seen a unit of African Americans campaigning it before,so that sounds like something I'd like to see.
          Cullen Smith
          The 14th Rhode Island Heavy Artillery does not have a website yet, but they are listed on the USCT Living History Brigade website. The USCT-LHB website description has to be updated as the number of participants has surpassed the 10-12 indicated and they have attended USCT events as far away as Florida. The young people portraying USCI (infantry) are high school aged and are part of a Providence based community outreach program which received grant(s). They are very disciplined, fully equipped, outfitted and trained in drill, and the proper care and use of their weapons. As noticed at Olustee, they are only allowed to bring items that are authentic to the period and only what they can physically carry -- no exceptions. They wore their uniforms and carried their gear on the airplane in route to the Olustee event and their weapons were checked in approved crates. They were also given permission to participate in the Olustee battles and stuck it out through the torrent of rain. All of this is due to the interest of the community that provides the necessary funding and dedicated people to make it possible. It is especially due to the direction of an experienced person who knows how to combine history with social outreach to urban young people: Rob Goldman. I have contacted Lt. Rob to let him know about this discussion. Hopefully he’ll chime in and give more details because the structure of the 14th RI fascinating and presents a unique opportunity for young people to get involved in CW living history. As far as anyone seeing this group, they are New England based and also attend USCT events. The next USCT national event is at Camp Nelson, Kentucky, but I don’t know if the young people of the 14th RI will be there.
          Yulanda Burgess
          5th USCI, Co. C

Comment

Ladies & Comrades,
            Thank you all for the encouragement, kudos, and suggestions. I will keep you posted as to the progress of the "Lobo Mess". We have our beginning of the school year COI in a few weeks at Fort Garland. I will post some pics if I get a chance.
            I Remain, Your Obedient Servant,
            Cpl. Kurt Knierim
            Kurt R. Knierim
            1st Colorado Volunteer Infantry, Co D
            "Gilpin's Pet Lambs"
            Horsetooth Mess
            [I]“…I do think our Co the best that ever was raised in any country all large men
            and the most of them d--- sharp.”[/I][SIZE="1"]
            -Alonzo Ickis, First Colorado Volunteers, 1861[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
            X