X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confederate neck tie.

hello everyone,
    I have a question, are confederate neck ties authentic or farby?

Sincerely,
    Alex Belhumeur
    Alex J Belhumeur
    The GawdAwful Mess
    SC Society

"one strap goes into the grbage and the other goes into the fire" -B.K.

Re: confederate neck tie.

Alex,

Can you be a little more specific? Are you talking about reproductions done by reputatable sutlers or the costume/giftshop types?
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Do you mean neck ties as in cravats? If so, there are quite a few early war portraits showing confederate soldiers wearing cravats with their uniforms. This may have been just to look nice for the "likeness" that they would send home, or maybe it was worn daily. I would lean more towards looking nice for the picture because there are several quotes from confederats who said that they wouldnt put their ties on for fear of being made fun of by the other soldiers. So, other than a very early war event or maybe an officer impression I wouldnt wear cravats in the field while doing a confederate impression. If anyone knows anything to the contrary please correct me.
      Last edited by BishopLynch; 07-13-2004, 11:50 AM.
      Gregory Randazzo

Gawdawful Mess http://www.gawdawfulmess.com
      John Brizzay Mess
      SkillyGalee Mess
      http://skillygalee-mess.blogspot.com/

"The Northern onslaught upon slavery was no more than a piece of specious humbug designed to conceal its desire for economic control of the Southern states." Charles Dickens, 1862

“These people delight to destroy the weak and those who can make no defense; it suits them.” R.E. Lee referring to the Federal Army.

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

This post is on thin ice.
        If it is concerning modern neck ties made in some pattern or variation on COnfederate flags, or those containing miniature CS flags as the pattern or design- it is a "modern" topic not appropriate for the AC Forum.

If it is concerning Skinners' Row quality reenacting supplies, it is not appropriate for the AC Forum.

If it is Flame Bait... :-(

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

no, not anything like modern, i mean like a neck tie a checkered piece of cloth rolled up and tied around the neck to catch sweat, did they wear them? like a bandanna rolled up of course in period cloth.

Sincerely
          Alex Belhumeur
          Alex J Belhumeur
          The GawdAwful Mess
          SC Society

"one strap goes into the grbage and the other goes into the fire" -B.K.

Comment

A basic survey of military portraits and images (in camp, etc) would begin to answer the questions, I'd think... you might start with photo archives.
            Regards,
            Elizabeth Clark

Comment

As Curt noted, this thread was on thin ice from the git go. The question is poorly worded and, therefore, there has been no substantive discussion of the issue. For these reasons, I am closing this thread.

Alex,
              Please spend some time with the "search" function, and see if you can't find some information related to your question. Search some photo archives or ACW pic books. Then, formulate a more precisely worded question that displays a basic level of background knowledge on your part.

Best of Luck,
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Working...
              X