6th Georgia Impression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6th Georgia Impression

Does anyone know anything about the uniform of the Sixth Georgia Infantry Regiment? I've searched Echoes, Brassey's, Reenactor's encyc. and the search function with no luck. Also where could I find Georgia State uniform regs for early war?

Thanks,
    jphollis
    Josh Johnson
    Collateral descendant of:
    Sgt. Joseph Post Hollis
    6th Georgia Infantry Regiment
    Company "G" Butler Vanguards

Re: 6th Georgia Impression

Originally posted by jphollis
    Does anyone know anything about the uniform of the Sixth Georgia Infantry Regiment? I've searched Echoes, Brassey's, Reenactor's encyc. and the search function with no luck. Also where could I find Georgia State uniform regs for early war?

Thanks,
    jphollis
    Many (if not most) regiments raised in the time period of the 6th Ga. (raised in April, 61) were outfitted under the commutation system and the uniforms and equipage varied greatly from company to company with little or no regard to state regulations. A good rule of thumb with Ga. units is that the lower the number, the more likely the regiment consisted largely of pre-war militia units who were already outfitted and ready for service (sometimes without weapons, however). I suggest that you research the hometown newspapers of the company that you are interested in.
    Marlin Teat
    [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

...or find someone to go through the Georgia State Archives in Atlanta.
      Mike Ventura
      Shannon's Scouts

Comment

Try this:

The war-history of Company "C" (Beauregard Volunteers), Sixth Georgia Regiment (infantry)
        with a graphic account of each member /
        Wendell D Croom

English Book : Microform 37 p. ; 23 cm.
        Fort Valley, Ga. : Printed at the "Advertiser" office,

The microform for this work should be available through interlibrary loan. A copy is on hand at the Georgia State Archives:

I have also taken the liberty of asking a well-known and respected Confederate uniform researcher to see if he has any notes on uniformage for the 6th Georgia. With luck, I'll hear from him today or tomorrow. I also know a Confederate flag researcher who has reviewed many, if not all, of the surviving Georgia papers. I'll send him a note as well.

I'm sorry to say, however, that no regimental books for the 6th GA have survived in the collections of the National Archives; only those for the 10th GA. These NARA sources may yet help you:

Our website was redesigned, and many items have moved during the transition. But we have some ways of helping you locate the information you're looking for:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

You might want to try Frederick P. Todd's book on state forces. Each chapter addresses the uniforms of a different state.

If you e-mail me, I'll mail you a copy of the Georgia chapter.

Greg Starbuck

cwkepi@earthlink.net
          The brave respect the brave. The brave
          Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
          That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
          And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

"Military Images Magazine" is also a wonderful source for research on clothing of particular units. There is at least one 6th GA photo in its past issues. They have compiled a nice index for other units as well at the attached site. My favorite magazine by far. Back issues are available: http://www.civilwar-photos.com/units.html

Bob Williams
            1st NC Arty (Reilly's)
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Here's another longshot: Try looking through the "Confederate Veteran" (the original 1893-1932 run in particular). This publication has been both reprinted and indexed so the odds are reasonably good you'll find references to the 6th GA or it's brigade-mates.

To wit: I did a comprehensive review of every issue while doing research on the 32nd Tennessee (Brown's/Palmer's Brigade) and found no less than 40 different articles directly connected with it's service or troops who served in it. I also lucked out and found 9 images of 32nd TN officers and men, not to mention useful "nuggets" about its colors, equipment, arms, and even uniforms.

If you don't have immediate access to the "CV" (I'm pretty sure it's now on CD-Rom), let me know and I'll check for anything pertaining to the 6th GA in the issues we have here at Purdue University. There is at least one item dealing with the 6th GA according to this rudimentary on-line index:

The problem is that it only skims the surface. This on-line search engine for the "CV" at the Library of Virginia may do the trick for you:

By the way, I did receive a note back from the flag researcher--alas, he can't access his folders and notes since he's lent them to the Georgia Capitol Museum.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Thanks Guys, I'm gonna try the CV tomorrow at the library. I appreciate all of the help that ya'll have given! Thanks again!

jphollis
                Josh Johnson
                Collateral descendant of:
                Sgt. Joseph Post Hollis
                6th Georgia Infantry Regiment
                Company "G" Butler Vanguards

Comment

Anyone doing any research on Confederate from a particular Southern state should not forget about the "Portraits of Conflict" series. So far they have done volumes on Miss, GA, TX, NC, SC, and Ark.

I found a couple of soldier photographs in my Georgia book, I'll xerox them and send them to you.

Greg Starbuck
                  The brave respect the brave. The brave
                  Respect the dead; but you -- you draw
                  That ancient blade, the ass's jaw,
                  And shake it o'er a hero's grave.

Herman Melville

http://www.historicsandusky.org

Comment

As I mentioned before, don't forget to bear in mind that if you find documentation for Co. A, that doesn't mean that Co. C had the same uniform.

For a good example of early war uniform and equipage problems see "A Scythe of Fire", a regimental history of the 8th Ga.

Another good example is the 22nd Georgia. According to William Judkins (letter to Rome Courier) Company G had their original uniforms tailored by a Rome merchant but Company B was issued "leftover uniform parts" while at Camp McDonald. No mention of what was meant by leftover.
                    Marlin Teat
                    [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Originally posted by marlin teat
                      As I mentioned before, don't forget to bear in mind that if you find documentation for Co. A, that doesn't mean that Co. C had the same uniform.

For a good example of early war uniform and equipage problems see "A Scythe of Fire", a regimental history of the 8th Ga.

Another good example is the 22nd Georgia. According to William Judkins (letter to Rome Courier) Company G had their original uniforms tailored by a Rome merchant but Company B was issued "leftover uniform parts" while at Camp McDonald. No mention of what was meant by leftover.
                      Indeed. Over 800 troops of the 32nd and 41st Tennessee regiments were temporarily interned here in Lafayette IN for several weeks after they surrendered at Fort Donelson, in February 1862, and were shipped north. Descriptions of their arrival in the local newspapers indicate there was little rhyme or reason to their uniformage: "butternut jeans" predominated with a few men reportedly wearing "blue frocks with buff colored cuffs."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
                      X