58th North Carolina, AoT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 58th North Carolina, AoT

Does anybody have an idea what uniforms the 58th would have been issued? North Carolina was good at clothing its Eastern theatre troops, but I dont know about the AoT units. The 58th was from the mountains of northwestern North Carolina and didn't see major action until Chickamauga. The only mention of their uniforms I could find was a mention of the regiment bieng in rags and barefooted when reveiwed in October of 1863 because they had not been resupplied since they were out of their home state. When they were supplied, would it been with NC depot items, or Columbus, Atlanta, or another western depot? Thanks.

Derek Carpenter

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomatox"
    Derek Carpenter
    Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Re: 58th North Carolina, AoT

Originally posted by NC5thCav
    Does anybody have an idea what uniforms the 58th would have been issued? North Carolina was good at clothing its Eastern theatre troops, but I dont know about the AoT units. The 58th was from the mountains of northwestern North Carolina and didn't see major action until Chickamauga. The only mention of their uniforms I could find was a mention of the regiment bieng in rags and barefooted when reveiwed in October of 1863 because they had not been resupplied since they were out of their home state. When they were supplied, would it been with NC depot items, or Columbus, Atlanta, or another western depot? Thanks.

Derek Carpenter

I'm not sure what might even be considered "good" with regard to clothing those NC units within the ANV, since there are tons of images of Tar Heels wearing Richmond Depot issued uniforms, rather than those produced by the state (which also may have come through the NC Clothing Bureau in Richmond-- making them in a sense Richmond issued items too!). By the same token, it would seem logical that those NC units serving in the AOT at any given time would have drawn whatever issues may have been at hand, or requisitioned dependent upon the time, location, or proximity of that particular unit to a supply base. For those NC units serving in the AOT this would almost certainly encompass the possiblity of issues from the various GA and Alabama sources, and even others, from 1863-65. The best bet obviously would be to locate regimental or even company QM returns, if they exist, and hope they are found to be as descriptive of the particular items issued as possible (i.e. not just "issued 100 jackets, 100 pairs trousers, 100 caps", etc.). The other obvious source would be from individual letters and diary entries, which generally contain a wealth of information relative to a soldier's particular day-to-day activities, including mentioning the issue of new clothing items, and/or the condition of his existing uniform and those of his comrades.

Hope this is of some help as a possible starting point anyway. Good luck!

Rich Croxton
    Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Derek

I found this by a google search:

小少妇BBBBBBBBBBBB,91精品国产成人观看免费不卡,亚洲AV无码专区在线观看播放,精品国产乱码久久久久久婷婷,中文人妻精品一区二区三区四区,涩涩视频www在线观看入口,亚洲老妈激情一区二区三区

The first photograph should interest you.
      Bill Backus

Comment

Derek et al,

Here are a few of my observations on the NC supply pecking order.

1st - NC ANV Field units. First quality goods.*
        2nd -“Regular” Units in NC and NC Units in non-ANV armies. First quality goods.
        3rd - NC Garrisoned units. Second quality and home mission donations (hereafter ‘do’)
        4th - Navy, Home Guard and any peripheral soldiers or units. ‘do’ **
        5th - Surplus and private contract goods sold or given to other states. ‘do’

I think the on paper avenue of supply for NC units in the AoT was as efficient and fair as for ANV units, I think the actual logistics of supply were very difficult. Just the transfer of rail transported goods was time and manpower consuming, but crossing the political and geophysical challenge of the mountains would make it harder.

Late in the war, before the rails were closed from Richmond to Danville to Charlotte garrisoned troops in New Hanover and Brunswick counties (NC) were receiving 95 percent of their issue and requisition within two weeks of ordering.

Again I have to ask my old question…If we see NC soldiers in RD uniforms and AoT uniforms, where are the images of soldiers from other states in NC Depot uniforms? Short answer is… NC Depot uniforms are being attributed to other depots as secondary styles.

* The first and second quality and home mission references are my own but I see a heavy trend developing to support this theory in the documents from NCDH and private sources I have access to.

** It looks like these groups could have relied heavily on the Form 40 Special requisition system where the unit was supplied from regimental funds for most of their needs.
        Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-19-2004, 12:42 PM.
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Well, this is a tough one. As per my own research and being a native of the area these boys came from, much of their information can be found in the local "North Carolina" section in the public libraries within their regimental histories, especially action reports. Interestingly, I belonged to a group, the 37th North Carolina based out of Boone, NC, that portrays this bunch from time, especially when they are doing western theater. Through our research, diaries, first-hand accounts, and quartmaster requistions, the uniforms varied tremendeously from start to finish because of several reasons.
          First, much of this group came from the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina which had pockets of North and South sympathizers. This lead to a mixed feeling toward those who joined either side and as the movie, Cold Mountain, suggests in a not-so-perfect way, homeguard was, to say the least, a pain, which affected shipments of clothing from NC depots through the mountains and to our boys somewhere in the NC. As for the 58th, they left with state apparel.
          Second, many of the 58th, which we must remember was a rather small regiment returned home with western depot issues. Of course, this has to do with availability and the fact that the entire mountain area of Tenn. and NC had been taken over through Stoneman's ride through these areas. While they still received some support from NC concerning basic supplies, such as food; however, much of this was folded into battalion supplies and distributed amongst them as well as other regiments. Overall, these NC troops would see random issues of GA depot and other state issues based on their deployments. I would have to agree that ANV got better supplies, if you can say that, from NC than AoT troops based on ease of shipping and politics concerning distribution. Also, remember that Governor Vance was known to reject other state requests to use his state supplies and would not send more supplies to his own NC troops to avoid "wrongful" distribution." In short, how did that play out for AoT units?
          Now, that I have said all this, there are some large holes that our research could not fill. Your best bet is to contact someone in the 37th NCT to get some more information. I believe their website address is www.37nc.org. If not, google the unit and you should find it. Look for information to contact Tim Townsend, who is a born and raised Avery County man who had ancestors in this unit or the 37th, which came out of this same area but went to the ANV. He knows more and could possibly clue you into other resources. Hope this helps.
          Cameron Lippard
          Iron Grays
          Lazarus Battery
          18th Indiana Light Artillery
          Palmetto Light Artillery

Comment

Try this listing from the National Archives:

Our website was redesigned, and many items have moved during the transition. But we have some ways of helping you locate the information you're looking for:

There may be inspection reports, etc. of potential usefulness.

Alas, the books for the 58th NCT have apparently not survived at NARA. Aside from what may in the Compiled Service Records, there may be information in the papers published in the counties that furnished troops to the 58th. You might also want to check with Mr. Tom Belton at the North Carolina Museum of History:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
            Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Ben Tart, Lynn Bull and Mickey Black are easier and much more reliable contacts. The state focuses only on what they have accessioned and are using twenty year old sources, many of which originated with these three men.

NC A&H commissioned a study by a doctorate candidate at Duke in the early 1980’s to document the NC Depot system and goods. All he did was interview these guys informally, write up the sources they (Tart, Bull , Black and Ray Bass) had dug up over two decades and submit it as his. The state still uses it as it's standard text on the subject, with no addendums. Though it was accurate at the time it was written it is now out of sync with this forum's focus.

Tart, Bull, Bass and Black have never slowed thier research and the expantion of their knowledge of NC's historic supply effort.
              Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-19-2004, 12:41 PM.
              B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Originally posted by bAcK88
                Derek

I found this by a google search:

小少妇BBBBBBBBBBBB,91精品国产成人观看免费不卡,亚洲AV无码专区在线观看播放,精品国产乱码久久久久久婷婷,中文人妻精品一区二区三区四区,涩涩视频www在线观看入口,亚洲老妈激情一区二区三区

The first photograph should interest you.
                Thanks for the link. The first uniform is the uniform that was worn company A of the 5th battalion NC cavalry. My gggrandfather was in that company. I have seen two pics of companies memebers in the same "battl shirts". My other gggrandfather was in the 58th infantry. My family is originally from the Pyatt- Crossnore area of Avery county. I currently live in Boone, attending ASU, so I'll try to get over to the museum and check it out. Again, thanks for all the help.

Derek Carpenter

Derek Carpenter
                Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Derek, love those mountains, don't you? Least you are not roasting in hell with me in South Georgia. Anyway, I am an alumnist of that fine institution and recommend you visit some of those libraries in the area. The one in Avery (Newland) and Mitchell County (Bakersville) is helpful. Also, check the black bear book store, used to be book warehouse, they may have some local unit history books for sale. Anyway, carry on mountaineer, carry on! :baring_te
                  Cameron Lippard
                  Iron Grays
                  Lazarus Battery
                  18th Indiana Light Artillery
                  Palmetto Light Artillery

Comment

Working...
                  X