Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restricted Zones

Guys,

I need help, and I need it fast :tounge_sm I'm leaving tomorrow morning, and I need to know how something might have been worded in the period.

We have the use of the Karrick House on Merchants' Row at Perryville this weekend. As I understand it, the house has not been finished in regards to renovation work, and so portions of the house are off limits to reenactors and spectators alike.

The house was actually used as a place for Union officers and surgeons to sleep following the battle (it was not a hospital), and the Karricks also got to stay in the house after the battle. I assume that military with it's period numbers would have a guard posted in areas in which they wouldn't want the family trespassing, but reenactor numbers won't allow that :cry_smile

Would they have posted the area, put a sign on the wall at the base of the stairs or going into various rooms? And if so, what might the signs say?

Even if I don't get an answer by tomorrow morning, it's still a question that I'd like an answer to :wink_smil

Thanks,

Linda Trent
    lindatrent@zoomnet.net
    Linda Trent
    [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
    It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Re: Restricted Zones

All I know is period writings have said they posted a guard at the home at the front?
    Dusty Lind
    Running Discharge Mess
    Texas Rifles
    BGR Survivor

Texans did this. Texans Can Do It Again. Gen J.B. Hood

Comment

One period method around this would be the use of a Safeguard.

A Safeguard is a designated area, building, etc., in which no soldier is allowed without express permission from a commanding officer. Safeguards were printed forms (I have one in my collection, but I think it's too late to get it to you) that were posted at the entrance to the off-limits area.

It simply says that the owners of the establishment are loyal to the occupying army, and that no one is allowed to enter the premises without written permission from the commanding officer. The signature at the bottom of the form is the local provost marshal and has a "by order of ..." and the commanding officer's name.

In every set of regulations I've ever seen, there is always the regulation that states: "To force a Safeguard is punishable by death."
      Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
      Elverson, PA

Comment

A Safeguard is a designated area, building, etc., in which no soldier is allowed without express permission from a commanding officer. Safeguards were printed forms... that were posted at the entrance to the off-limits area.

It simply says that the owners of the establishment are loyal to the occupying army, and that no one is allowed to enter the premises without written permission from the commanding officer.
        Cool! Thanks. Even though it was too late for this event, it will come in useful when we return to the site for future events there. It is interesting, however, that the Union officers and surgeons would allow this lady to remain in her home (though it is documented that they did). We learned from a local who had written a history of the area that the lady's daughters presented a Confederate flag to the "traitor" Governor Magoffin. Hmm... either she lied about her sentiments to the army, or her daughters had a difference of opinion with her about such matters :wink_smil

Thanks again,

Linda Trent
        lindatrent@zoomnet.net
        Linda Trent
        [email]linda_trent@att.net[/email]

“It ain’t what you know that gets you into trouble.
        It’s what you know that just ain’t so.” Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
        X