Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious Little Picture

Hey everyone,
    I was skimming through "The Complete Civil War" by Philip Katcher and found this interesting picture. It's a picture of a Federal soldier pouring some water for cooking and his pards are waiting around him in full uniform. Note the soldier in the bottom right corner. Interesting, no? Even his bayonet scabbord appears to be on the opposite side.

Anyone have any ideas?
    Attached Files
    [B]Zachary Whitlow[/B]
    Liberty Rifles

[I]"Though I weigh only 120 pounds, when I'm mad I weigh a ton."[/I] - Thomas Starr King

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Curious Little Picture

Zach,

Very interesting indeed..... Without knowing anything about this image, I'll take a stab at it.

This is a reversed image and the only soldier who didn't change his leathers to the "other side" to accommodate the photo (for whatever reason) is the said private.

Thanks Zach,
    Last edited by HOG.EYE.MAN; 07-23-2004, 06:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
    Cincinnati

Comment

Hi Zach,

Interesting picture but I should cordially caution you about posting images from copyrighted works on the forum without asking permission first from the owners--Paul Calloway has stated this policy previously. You can potentially set yourself up for a world of hurt--some image owners probably couldn't care less about distribution of their images while others do care and guard their rights with a vengeance.

Best wishes,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I kinda like the pan he's pouring water into... almost looks lkke a canteen half w/ legs (altho' that's highly unlikely.) It also almost looks like it has a handel of some sort.
        Tom Smith, 2nd Lt. T.E.
        Nobel Grand Humbug, Al XXI,
        Chapt. 1.5 De la Guerra y Pacheco
        Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
        Topographer for: TAG '03, BGR, Spring Hill, Marmeduke's Raid, & ITPW

Comment

I kinda like the pan he's pouring water into.
          Might be a spider.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aaron Schwieterman
          Cincinnati

Comment

They also seem to be wearing dark blue trousers and that one guy has a bugle on his hat, gee what a farb. :tounge_sm

Comment

Zach,
              I believe you were drawn to the two photos from Phil Katcher's book because everyone in them is wearing their forage caps the same way yours is worn in your photo. Brim up. Yes by Jenkies, I believe that explains your fascination with these images! Sort of a psychological thing.
              Steve Sullivan
              46th Illinois

Comment

Another cool thing; is there even a fire? it looks like the image was totally staged because it looks like the grass around the wood isn't burnt, no charred looking wood. Anybody else like to back me up on that observation?
                Isaac Forman

Comment

Isaac,

I noticed that also. Another point is that nobody would have their knees that close to te fire if there really was one there, unless he was one of those freaky self mutilation loving people that we were talking about earlier haha

Mike Ray
                  Ruff n' Readys

Comment

FWIW,
                    That was a cover photo for Military Images a few years ago. If I stumble across it, I'll see if there is 'more to the story'

John Pillers
                    Skulker
                    John Pillers
                    Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

looks to me like somebody just wanted a quick souvenir(spelling???) photo

(And didin't that guy get the memo about his accouts and which side I mean c'mon :wink_smil )

Jordan Davis

Comment

pards,

My computer is not showing that cooking picture clearly but, is that an enormous smoking pipe in his mouth!!!!! If what im seeing is true thats one of the biggest pipe stems ive ever seen.... I wonder how he transported it??? haha
                        Waylon Pashong
                        hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Comment

I have seen a few pictures of uniformed men like that and there lethers are on "backwards" i was told (and this makes sence) its a backwards picture.. flip it arround and look at it! thats a good explanation for me. also werent some of the camaras during the time flip the picture arround? so i am thinking that it left the picture that way.

or he could have been in a rush to get the picture taken so he just threw every thing on....

(just a sugestion i could be way wrong)
                          Last edited by ; 07-24-2004, 05:07 PM.

Comment

Yes, that's a pipe stem, but it still comes short in the "Most Insane Pipe Stem Length" category. This one takes the mouldy, maggoty cake:

Jason R. Wickersty
                            http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
                            Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
                            Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
                            Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
                            Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Greetings,

Actually, the pipe length is not that usual for the 19th century. I own a number of books about the history of tobacco and pipe smoking and they include various 19th century images (mostly European) of these types of pipes. The longer the stem, the cooler the smoke. The use of this type of pipe suggests the smoker was originally of European (e.g., German) origin.

Master and Commander "Gendar": Can you let the rest of know the origin of this image? I presume it's on the Library of Congress site.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
                              X