Speaking of Relics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaking of Relics

Learning about the source relics is typically a good endeavor. The inventory on this website provides some insight into what the veterans themselves collected as momentos of their time as soldiers. Some are very common articles, such as folding knives, others are larger and less functional items, and yet the theme of a "piece of wood" from a location comes time and time again. This is a long list, but the stories these items could have told (if they could speak) must have been fascinating.

The cataloger lists names, locations, and in many instances how long an individual possessed an item. The few photographs are sometimes sad, as in the case of the Lancer's flag, or just "gee whiz" as in the one of the canteen with the bee's nest built around it.

Charles Heath
    [B]Charles Heath[/B]
    [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Re: Speaking of Relics

Hey,
    I've been to the location where these items on the web page were originally stored. It was a local Capt. Espy Post in the Carnegie Library. I was in the original storage place and post where they were. The storage room was discovered a while ago in the upstairs of the library with colors, books, guns, swords, original post chairs, etc. intact. This was around the time I started reenacting and I was amazed by all of the stuff and how it was all catalogued. Some problems were experienced in the room with water coming in from the roof and what-not so everything is being done to preserve the items. Thanks!
    Richard Condon

114th PVI, Co. A "Collis' Zouaves"
    &
    "The Marked Mess"

Comment

Working...
    X