No announcement yet.

Need information on 13th Ohio Vol. Inf.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need information on 13th Ohio Vol. Inf.

Hello,

Any and all advice appreciated on how I could reserach the 13th Ohio Volunteer Infantry. My wife's great-great... served in Company G, and we both provide a yearly class on the Civil War for 4th-5th grade students. In the past I brought my old gear from 1980s reenacting, but would like to upgrade to as authentic as possible.

The 13th Ohio Volunteers have a small web presence, but not too much. I have found no details on their unfiorms, or weapons. Any books that might cover this unit, or general histories of Ohio in the Civil War? Would there be a museum or archives in Ohio with documentary material?

I appreciate your assistance in this matter, and must say that even if nothing comes back on this request, I am very impressed with the tremendous amount of data already available on these pages.

Sincerely,

John Dunn

Re: Need information on 13th Ohio Vol. Inf.

Howdy John, All ya gotta do is Google the 13th Ohio. Lots of good stuff. Good luck.

Joe Madden
    Joe Madden
    13th New Hampshire Vols.
    Co. E
    Unattached

Comment

Hi John,

Here are some online sources that may be of assistance:

The regimental order and morning report books of the 13th OVI have survived and are at the National Archives:

Our website was redesigned, and many items have moved during the transition. But we have some ways of helping you locate the information you're looking for:

Here is a very lengthy 13th OVI regimental bibliography:

You might also want to check the papers published in the counties that furnished troops to the 13th OVI. There are undoubtedly several and these may provide interesting letters. I've done a lot of this searching and have surprised and delighted some folks by digging up letters written by their soldier ancestors to the hometown paper(s).

You should also tap into the resources of the Ohio Historical Society:

Good luck!

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Dear Mark,

Thank you. This is exactly what I need. I doubt I will ever be able to return the favor in CW information, but should you ever have a question on the 19th Century Egyptian armed forces, please feel free...

Sincerely,

John

Comment

Originally posted by khedive
          Dear Mark,

Thank you. This is exactly what I need. I doubt I will ever be able to return the favor in CW information, but should you ever have a question on the 19th Century Egyptian armed forces, please feel free...

Sincerely,

John
          Glad you got what you needed. Now, what WE need is that you sign your FULL name to every post. It really is important that we all follow this rule.

Thanks -
          Paul Calloway
          Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
          Proud Member of the GHTI
          Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
          Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

The regimental order and morning report books of the 13th OVI have survived and are at the National Archives:
            Mark Jaeger[/QUOTE]

How does one access the NARA records? I've tried their site, but to me it seems there is no online access, only requests for mailed information or site visit.
            Bernard Biederman
            30th OVI
            Co. B
            Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
            Outpost III

Comment

Good morning,

Unfortunately, the only way (unless I'm mistaken) to access NARA records is visit the Archives in person. Even that's not always as easy as it sounds, current security measures in D.C. not withstanding. Unless the records are on microfilm, a researcher must go to the Archives during normal, weekday business hours and request the material, in this case the Order Books, through an archivist. They'll pull the books - normally takes an hour - but if a person arrive on Saturday without prior coordination expecting to see them, it'll be a wasted trip.

I seem to remember a thread on this subject a few months back.

Good luck.
              Originally posted by flattop32355
              Mark Jaeger
              How does one access the NARA records? I've tried their site, but to me it seems there is no online access, only requests for mailed information or site visit.[/QUOTE]
              James Brenner

Comment

[QUOTE=James Brenner]Good morning,
                Unfortunately, the only way (unless I'm mistaken) to access NARA records is visit the Archives in person. Even that's not always as easy as it sounds, current security measures in D.C. not withstanding. Unless the records are on microfilm, a researcher must go to the Archives during normal, weekday business hours and request the material, in this case the Order Books, through an archivist. They'll pull the books - normally takes an hour - but if a person arrive on Saturday without prior coordination expecting to see them, it'll be a wasted trip.

That's what I thought. Guess I'll have to make the trip some time.
                Thanks for the info.
                Bernard Biederman
                30th OVI
                Co. B
                Member of Ewing's Foot Cavalry
                Outpost III

Comment

Working...
                X