Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cartridges

Hello All,
    My question is that on making reproduction 58 Cal. cartridges I was using poppy seeds as the powder. Someone told me of using saw dust as the powder. What do all of you think? I was looking into crushed pecan shells but I have no where to get them.

Another question as well is I was using a brown paper that looks close to a round that I own. From speaking to other they seem to think that newsprint paper would work better as the brown paper leans towards the color of aged cartridges.

Your Servant,
    K.J. Reihl
    [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]Kenneth J. Reihl[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Cartridges

Ken,
    I have used Kosher salt as a substitute for powder, it's grain size is close to FFG black powder.
    As far as paper goes. Go to Hungates or Michaels and look for #30 news print. Any craft store carries it. I've used the #35 and it was slightly too heavy.
    Hope this helps you out.
    Chris Hartwig

Comment

Model railroad ballast works well, and comes in a variety of colors and sizes, at least one of which closely resembles black powder.

Charles Heath
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Why don't you just use black powder? That is the most authentic way to go. What is the point in using crap in your rounds that they would not have used?

Mike Ray
        Ruff n' Readys

Comment

Mike,

Good question. I took it he meant inert cartridges for display, or for school groups to handle, or other activities where live rounds aren't appropriate. It could be you were the first to pick up on the important part, too!

Charles Heath
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

This may help:

Check this one out for sure:
            Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

[QUOTE=amazingkenneth]Hello All,
              My question is that on making reproduction 58 Cal. cartridges I was using poppy seeds as the powder. Someone told me of using saw dust as the powder. What do all of you think?

I agree with a previous post. Try a model railroad shop. Ballast or also scale coal can be purchased in the proper grain size to fit your need.

Big Sandy
              2nd US Infantry

Comment

Thanks for the information.

Your Humble Servant,
                K.J. Reihl
                [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]Kenneth J. Reihl[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
                [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                X