Rifled vs. Smoothbore '42 springfields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifled vs. Smoothbore '42 springfields

I am considering picking up a rifle (in the process of saving) and I know that the unit I am with was issued 1842 springfields at the beginning the war. Of the distributed '42s, which were commonly issued, smoothbore or rifled springfields? I know some '42s were converted to rifled muskets, but were they common or rare?

thank you,

Hampton Cokeley

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached
    The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Rifled vs. Smoothbore '42 springfields

Just for clarification, are you asking what type of M1842 was issued to your unit or what the overall ratio of rifled to smoothbore '42s was? If it's the former, what unit are you referring to? Regimental histories and/or other records may tell you what they carried. If it's the latter, I'll defer to someone else.
    James Brenner

Comment

Hampton,

If you are being unit specific I would check issue records of that unit. If it is general which is more common, than it is the unrifled version or smoothbore. I ran into the same question last year when deciding which to purchase myself. I cannot remember for the life of me what the ratio was but after some research, it came out decidedly on the smoothbore side. Plus I have found smoothbore's are easier to clean. :wink_smil
      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
      [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
      [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

There were a total of 14,000 42 model Springfield rifled muskets (69 cal). The rest (vast majority) were snoothbores. The first Minnesota had several companies equipped with them for instance, with the balance having 1855 Springfields and some 42 smoothbores. Must have been fun for the Ordnance types. Research is the key here as was said above.
        Soli Deo Gloria
        Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Oh, sorry I wasnt being specific, I meant the overall ratio to which was more common, the smoothbore 1842 or the rifled 1842.

sorry for the confusion,

Hampton Cokeley

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hampton,

Go with the standard smoothbore. I believe you'll find in several sources that only about 10,000 42's were converted to to rifled musket. The smoothbore will be much more common for early war and will allow you to use it in your home unit as well as other scenerios where a smoothbore is called for. I don't know the types of reenacting you get into, but an Enfield or 61 Springfield would be a more optimum choice for a more common and called for all around weapon.

Originally posted by modelf85
            I am considering picking up a rifle (in the process of saving) and I know that the unit I am with was issued 1842 springfields at the beginning the war. Of the distributed '42s, which were commonly issued, smoothbore or rifled springfields? I know some '42s were converted to rifled muskets, but were they common or rare?

thank you,

Hampton Cokeley
            Matt Woodburn
            Retired Big Bug
            WIG/GHTI
            Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
            "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

Thank you all for your advice,

Hampton Cokeley

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Swa an original 1842 Smoothbore Springfiels yesterday in a gunshop. It is in field ready condition. $1695.

Marled 1853 on the lockplate w/ clear markings.

H & H GUns Prescott Wisconsin
                715-262-5024

May or may not be worth looking into.

Good Luck
                Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                SUVCW Camp 48
                American Legion Post 352
                [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Hampton,

Matt is quite correct. I love my "pumpkin shooter" but it does look out of place a lot of times during late war actions. In my opinion, a 1853 Enfield that has been struck bright is the best all around choice for a living history weapon.
                  [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=3][B]Steve Ewing[/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]
                  [COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][URL=http://tarwatermess.homestead.com]Tar Water Mess[/URL]
                  [URL=http://ghti.homestead.com]GHTI[/URL][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]"There is something in the very air which makes every Kentuckian a soldier." Z. Taylor[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Re: Rifled '42 springfields

Conventional wisdom, sometimes suspect, is that as the war progressed Northern soldiers replaced their .69 caliber weapons with .58 caliber Springfields, Enfields and Lorenzes.
                    Last month an internet gun seller posted a rifled model '42 that was carried by a soldier from the 105th Illinois. The vet had his name and unit engraved on a round disk and attached to the stock, and presented it to his GAR post. The disk proudly proclaimed he carried THIS rifled-musket from Atlanta to the sea, and in the Grand Review.
                    Supply problems not withstanding, it seems some .69 caliber weapons were carried throughout the war.
                    Oh, and the gun sold for an incredible (at least to my mind) $3000.00!
                    Steve Sullivan
                    46th Illinois
                    Co. Mil. Hist.

Comment

Working...
                    X