Peter Tait Jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Peter Tait Jackets

Chris Daley has a wonderful section and a few pictures dedicated to the Tait jackets on his website. Heres the link

Most Respectfully
    Drew Gruber
    14thNJVI
    Drew

"God knows, as many posts as go up on this site everyday, there's plenty of folks who know how to type. Put those keyboards to work on a real issue that's tied to the history that we love and obsess over so much." F.B.

"...mow hay, cut wood, prepare great food, drink schwitzel, knit, sew, spin wool, rock out to a good pinch of snuff and somehow still find time to go fly a kite." N.B.

Comment

Just picked up on this old thread.

All the Tait repro jackets I've seen and some if not most (but not all) of the originals had the button hole stitching and other stitching in a very light off-white color. Would this have been the original color or was the thread most likely dyed a dark color that faded or wore off with time?

Also, been searching high and low for the Tait jacket worn by Pvt. Willim A. Harrison of the 2nd Maryland cited by Jensen but not shown. Has anyone access to or know of where photos for this specimen exist and where it may be housed?
      Ian Macoy
      Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Ian,

The last time i laid eyes (and hands) on that jacket was around 1981, at the Maryland Historical Society, in Baltimore. What I rmember most about it is that it was in remarkable condition, and the blue was a bery bright, rich colour.

Respects,
        Tim Kindred
        Medical Mess
        Solar Star Lodge #14
        Bath, Maine

Comment

Here are some photos of what I think is the Pendleton jacket....but I could be wrong since this was sold on eBay a few months ago. The last I knew, the Pendleton jacket was in the hands of Gary Hendershott. Don't forget to blow the pics up to their max. size, they're high quality.

As far as Tait jacket trim cloth go, I've heard it referred to as "facing cloth." I have seen imported facing cloth in some original items, most notably USSS frocks, and it's a thin velvety looking plain-weave broadcloth with rich color and some shine to it. Check out the attached collar photo; you can see the worn top edge of the collar, exposing the weave. For those of you who want a proper collar or trim in your reproduction Tait jacket make sure you look for this important feature....it's hard to find the correct facing cloth here in the states but Abimelech Hainsworth carries some very close (if not 100% spot on) fabrics.
          Last edited by GreencoatCross; 10-26-2008, 01:52 PM.
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Also.....

While I cannot be 100% sure without any kind of on-hands study or taking a sample of the thread to be analyzed, I'd venture a guess and say that the thread always has been "natural" in color. This seems to be the case in every photograph of original Tait jackets I've seen except for one in EoG: CS that appears to be sewn with colored thread.

I'd imagine that using two colors of thread for stitching these, and other garments, would have been rare. Or maybe the manufacturer ran out of a color mid-production. The only original garment I've seen with two colors of thread was the Geo. Spaulding jacket (Illinois state jacket). In that case the difference was strictly between what was visible and not visible from the outside.

I hope some that have handled a number of Tait jackets will chime in!
            Brian White
            [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
            [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Brian,
              I dont think anyone will produce a correct Tait jacket until someone makes the correct button.
              The buttons used by Peter Tait & Co were 19mm in diameter,the two I have in my collection, are the Script "I" and "A".
              In both cases both have fine horizontal lines within the letter, so until a manufacturer reproduces an accurate copy of the button, no Tait repro will be quite right.

Dave Burt, ACWS, England.
              David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Certainly this subject makes debate everywhere, we speak on some about forum about it, her Tait is fashionable...
                William Miconnet
                French Mess
                AES
                BGR & IPW Survivor
                Never ever give up!
                In memory of Steve Boulton, live the little story, lost in the history...
                I believe!

Comment

Originally posted by DBURT View Post
                  Brian,
                  I dont think anyone will produce a correct Tait jacket until someone makes the correct button.
                  The buttons used by Peter Tait & Co were 19mm in diameter,the two I have in my collection, are the Script "I" and "A".
                  In both cases both have fine horizontal lines within the letter, so until a manufacturer reproduces an accurate copy of the button, no Tait repro will be quite right.

Dave Burt, ACWS, England.
                  Hello Dave,
                  You might contact this company about making a reproduction: http://www.historicalreproduction.com/index.html
                  Jim Conley

Member, Civil War Trust

"The 'right' events still leave much to be desired." - Patrick Lewis

Comment

The Company of Military Historians has a good article.

Cordially,
                    Sam Patterson
                    Douglas, GA

Comment

Regarding thread color...

The Tait jacket (well, a number of folks, curators included believe it to be a product of another British manufactory other than Tait for a variety of reasons) ID'd to Pvt. Gouge of the 58th North Carolina and housed in the Greensboro Historical Museum is sewn together with light colored thread. There are several linen patches, each of which is stamped with size markings, that are sewn into place over the lining pieces by hand with dark brown thread, however.

-Craig Schneider
                      Craig Schneider

Comment

Originally posted by JimConley View Post
                        Hello Dave,
                        You might contact this company about making a reproduction: http://www.historicalreproduction.com/index.html

Those are some remarkable buttons. The CS staff is beautiful! I guess you get what you pay for.
                        Jim Mayo
                        Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

"Brian,
                          In both cases both have fine horizontal lines within the letter, so until a manufacturer reproduces an accurate copy of the button, no Tait repro will be quite right. Dave Burt, ACWS, England."

Hi Dave,
                          I quite agree that this is a disappointing 'gap in the market', I think Ben Tart's script I buttons are remarkable but many other CS buttons are disappointing (lacking the crisp detail of some original buttons) or simply unavailable. (See pic of my original Isaacs Campbell Script I held to the left of a Ben Tart version - you can tell them apart but the general impression is there.) It's interesting that Tait supplied jackets had quite a variation in supplied buttons, characterized by their 'floating shanks' - I believe (?) these buttons were chosen as they were collapsible and you could pack more uniforms into a crate for shipping aboard blockade runners where more space was equal to profit! The two well known piped Tait jackets illustrated in "Echoes of Glory" have script I Tait buttons and Ben Tart's buttons would serve well here. However, the enigmatic 63rd Tennessee jacket with blue faced collar and epaulettes (I'm starting to become obsessed with wanting to see a picture of this jacket...) has been viewed by Chas Childs of County Cloth - his reply to an e-mail I sent:-

"The 63rd Tenn. Tait jacket had Tait block 'I' buttons on the front as well
                          as shoulder straps. I used the buttons I had in stock for your jacket. My
                          understanding is that the jacket was preserved from "Katrina" damage."

There was a button of this type on E-bay recently:- See Pics below.

County Cloth does now sell some Block "I" 19mm Tait sized buttons, but unfortunately they are not lined (nor have floating shanks). While this is not ideal, it's a step in the right direction. Mr Childs has also viewed a Tait artillery jacket with red faced collar and epaulettes (in a friend's private collection). Here is what he had to say about the buttons:-

"My artillery Tait jacket is based on an original owned by a friend. That jacket has one lined ‘A’ button and three U.S. general service eagle buttons on the front as well as the epaulettes."

(See pic of an example of Mr Child's excellent copy of this jacket - the buttons are block A though not the exact type unfortunately - more the Chatwin type with lined background.)

It makes you wonder if button enthusiasts have over the years chipped away at the original buttons until only one remains.....? You could pay your mortgage, selling them one month at a time....

In Tice's button book, other Tait buttons are listed (Tait variations with no surviving examples..?), including an 'Old English Manuscript' style infantry button in two different sizes (23mm, 19mm). This type can be seen as the top button on the excellent Pendleton Tait jacket pictures posted by Brian White - though it's not clear if this is a 'Tait type' original to the jacket or a replacement (like the other buttons) with a solid shank. There is also a 23mm Script I variant design with Tait markings listed in Tice's book (Ref CSI1218A2) just to confuse things. I understand that the 'Maryland Tait' (blue faced collar, but no epaulettes - like the Pendleton jacket) has Maryland buttons (period replaced?). I recall this from a brief conversation with Jim Warehime in Sept 2006 when visiting Gettysburg - he has viewed the original and (as well as making a copy for Les Jensen) was actually wearing another copy he had made whilst I was talking to him - he made a point of mentioning that he had duplicated the original by adding Maryland buttons. I suppose we will never know what the original buttons were for this jacket when it was issued. (See pic of Mr Warehime in his jacket). As far as Tice is concerned there are no Tait "C" buttons - so sadly the chances of yellow trimmed cavalry Taits turning up doesn't look good - shame!

It's true that Historical Reproductions offer to copy any button you want but this would be very expensive I would imagine - especially as you would need to provide an original to copy! Another company that offer to reproduce any button you want is based in Canada:-

Providing a wide selection of British, Canadian, and American Army and the Royal Navy buttons for Victorian times and WW I. Come in a variety of finishes like pewter, gold, silver, brass, and copper.

Apart from the small matter (!) of providing an original subject button, there is a charge of $125 and a minimum order of 50 buttons which seems reasonable I would have thought? They do carry Script I buttons - interested to hear if anyone has seen one - though a pity as this is the one button we don't need!

Best regards, Paul Jonsson. (England, UK)

PS - With reference to Brian's earlier post with the Artillery Tait, I believe that is definitely the Pendleton jacket as I have another picture of it labelled as such - and it's the same jacket, button for button, stitch for stitch. If you blow the pic up enough you can just about make out the label. It would be interesting to know where it has gone now, having been recently sold on E-Bay - i.e will it disappear out of sight into a private collection for another 50 years.....
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by PaulJ; 04-17-2008, 10:22 AM.
                          Paul Jonsson (England, UK)

Comment

Regarding the dead Confederate photo, the original caption to this photo stated that the jacket was trimmed in red color, and the photographer actually identified him as a dead artilleryman. See Frassinoto's book on this....
                            Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                            Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                            Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                            Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                            KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Working...
                            X