Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Tait Jackets

Gentlemen,

is there anybody who knows of evidence in blue piped Tait Jackets in the ANV like the Garrett Gauge Jacket? Or is the use of these Jackets stricktly limited to the AoT in their lasy months?
    Thank you!

Sebastian Vogel, Ireland
    5th VA (Geman)

Re: Peter Tait Jackets

Sebastian,

I can't help you with your question, but since you're in Ireland and have an interest in Tait jackets, I thought you might be able to answer a question. Have any Tait CS uniforms or buttons ever turned up on that side of the Atlantic? I travel to Ireland occassionally, and I've always hoped to run across a cigar box full of script I buttons that nobody knew what they were!
    Bill Reagan
    23rd Reg't
    Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Bill,

I can't give you an answer on that yet but at the moment I live only 1/2 hour away from Limerick, and I 'm gonna find out about that.
      Cheers, Sebastian

Sebastian, you need to sign your full name to ALL posts - Mike Chapman
      Last edited by dusty27; 08-19-2004, 10:49 AM.

Comment

S,

Check out the Les Jensen article. That's a good starting place.

Beyond that, all the piped Tait jackets I know of (including those not mentioned in the Jensen article) have either late war NC or AoT (in NC) provenance or no provenance.
        John Stillwagon

Comment

To add to this Tait Jacket Theme,Does anyone know of any surviving jackets with a solid blue collar instead of just blue piping?
          Ihave seen Pvt Pendletons Jacket with the solid red collar and the Goodwin jacket.But I have yet to see any evidence of any jacket with a solid blue collar.
          Dave Burt 18th Va inf ACWS UK
          David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Although we can't tell what color this is, here's some good images of a dead Confederate at Fort Mahone, who is wearing a Tait jacket with solid collar and epaulettes. Note how the epaulettes were sloppily cut off in the first image -- and the second image, taken from the other side, looks like the left epaulette has been cut in the middle for some reason. He's missing his buttons -- could this have been the work of souvenir-hunters?
            Marc A. Hermann
            Liberty Rifles.
            MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
            Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Originally posted by DBURT
              To add to this Tait Jacket Theme,Does anyone know of any surviving jackets with a solid blue collar instead of just blue piping?
              Ihave seen Pvt Pendletons Jacket with the solid red collar and the Goodwin jacket.But I have yet to see any evidence of any jacket with a solid blue collar.
              Dave Burt 18th Va inf ACWS UK
              Per the Jensen article..... there exists a jacket which was worn by a member of the 63rd TN Inf., which served with the ANV. I have not seen this jacket, but it is described as having both collar and shoulder straps of a solid color which is different from the jacket. This trim is apparently of fine wool broadcloth, and I have heard the color described as "Prussian Blue", but unfortunately Jensen did not go into any further detail on it. I believe some Forum members have seen the Tait jacket worn by William HArrison of the 2nd MD Inf. It also apparently exhibits the same solid collar trim (no mention of the straps). That particular jacket has also been the subject of a study by a gent named Ross Kimmel, and you might be able to lay your hands on that to obtain further details.

Rich Croxton
              Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Comrades,

Regarding the image, I would absolutely agree that the loss of buttons was due to "souvenier" hunters. I believe they also cut the epaullette on the soldier's left side. In fact, I am certain that the body was moved somewhat, either by looters or the photographer. Looking at the blood streak patterns on the face shows that the head was originally tilted towards the soldier's right side, then moved over later, towards his left. The larger sized streaks would be from the initial wound, and have dried thinner, whereas the left side shows a smaller but more concentrated pattern, due to the wound clotting and slowing down the blood loss.
                I'd also poit out a couple of other items. One is the use of a sling for the cartridge box. Also note how thin the strap is for the uncovered federal bullseye canteen. Possibly a greatcoat strap pressed into use? Lastly, note the ubiquitous knot in the canteen strap or haversack strep. A small knot, to be sure, but a knot nonetheless.
                respects,
                Tim Kindred
                Medical Mess
                Solar Star Lodge #14
                Bath, Maine

Comment

Tim, and all -

Here's the stereograph from which the second image is taken that shows a bit more of the blood streaks for the aspiring forensic pathologists in the group.

Also, his cartridge box has a "US" plate affixed.

Marc A. Hermann
                  Liberty Rifles.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Did anyone else notice the thread color was different for the buttons on the epaulets than those down the jacket front? And you can definitely see the raw edge down the jacket front. What a fantastic image!

Mark Berrier
                    North State Rifles
                    combinations@northstate.net
                    Mark Berrier

Comment

Good eye, Mark.

Also, does it look like the epaulettes and collar are piped, too? It looks like more than a shade-difference illusion caused by topstitching.
                      Last edited by FranklinGuardsNYSM; 08-19-2004, 04:32 PM. Reason: Spelling correction.
                      Marc A. Hermann
                      Liberty Rifles.

Comment

Here is a pic of a Pvt. from the 62nd ALA around 64
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinGuardsNYSM
                          Good eye, Mark.

Also, does it look like the epaulettes and collar are piped, too? It looks like more than a shade-difference illusion caused by topstitching.
                          "The original photographer's label indicated that the jacket was grey with red trim". (Frassanito, Grant and Lee, pp. 360-362.)

This is taken directly from the Jensen article. Red-piped Taits anyone?

Rich Croxton
                          Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Dressed for the season?

Is it my imagination, or is this soldier wearing another garment between his checked shirt and Tait jacket? Look at his left side-- isn't there something there, perhaps an overshirt with a piped pocket and/or placket? I think his left jacket front is pulled up under his armpit; the gray(?) fabric on his left chest appears to be too coarse to match his jacket.
                            Last edited by Masked Battery; 08-19-2004, 06:26 PM.
                            [SIZE=1]Neal W. Sexton[/SIZE]

Comment

Re: Dressed for the season?

This appears to be a vest. He looks to have a shirt on of a very small check pattern. Of interest to me is the ammo package on the ground with a cartridge lying next to it. The ammo package looks like it has a pull string type opening device. Also check out the jeancloth trousers. This photo is just full of interesting little details!
                              Paul Manzo
                              Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Working...
                              X