French Imports

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French Imports

Does anyone have any information on imported French accoutrements and mess gear?
    Danny *PigPen* McCoslin
    Speight's 15th Tx Co A
    Texas Ground Hornets
    "Touch me and I'll Sting"

Re: French Imports

I know there is at least one French knapsack on display in the Atlanta History Center.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hey Danny,

I've been conducting a goodly amount of research recently on Caleb Huse's purchasing efforts in Europe '61-65. From what I've turned over, Huse imported French artillery harness in some quantity along with French bridle and harness "backs". Likewise, documentation shows the QM in Savannah (1864) had a number of shoes of French origin but of different patterns, etc.
      This is all I've ever found of items purchased in France but that's not to say it didn't happen. That being said though, Huse was squarely in Isaac & Campbell's back pocket for equipment purchases from the start. In fact, he got himself in a little hot water for it too! Sorry to not be more of a help but that's what I've found thus far.

Regards,

Neill Rose
      PLHA
      Love & Wienges

Comment

I knew that 10,000 sets of uniforms (including shakos and fatigue caps) were bought from Godillot in Paris in 1860. I didn't know of any other gear that may have been purchased along with the uniforms. It seems possible but as of yet un-documentable.
        Danny *PigPen* McCoslin
        Speight's 15th Tx Co A
        Texas Ground Hornets
        "Touch me and I'll Sting"

Comment

On French knapsacks - as Bob says there is one in the AHC on display. It was quite strange to be standing under the 2nd Minn monument on Snodgrass Hill at Chickamauga only a few hours after leaving the AHC and see French knapsacks on two of the soldier sculptures - the strap design is unmistakable.
          Soli Deo Gloria
          Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

An excellent article by Don Troiani on French uniforms and accouterments with particular reference to the 10,000 sets Godillot furnished is in Vol. XXVI, Nos. 2, 3 of North South Trader's Civil War.

Bob Williams
            Reilly's NC Btty
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Bob is quite correct. That is an EXCELLENT article.

In addition to describing the uniforms and providing some excellent photos, there is a fantastic photo layout of an individual chassuer's equipage from the Goidot catalogue.

As these uniforms were bought in sets of 1,000, the article also includes a breakdown of equipage per man including sundries like mess pans, clothing whips (for beating dirt out of clothing), bugles, etc...
              John Stillwagon

Comment

Working...
              X