53 Tower Enfield Ramrod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 53 Tower Enfield Ramrod

During my recent visit to London I observed a original 53 Tower Enfield as marked by the historians at the tower of London. The ramrod I observed was far different then the repros I have seen. It looked more like the ramrods I observed with much older rifles like the Brown Bess. Basically just a rod with a circle of metal at the end not the long end with the hole that is often used to hold cleaning patches. being behind glass my camera made a huge glare so the photo didn't come out. In Echo's of Glory I see the type of rammer I normally see in the repros. Any ideas other then the historians at the tower put the wrong one in?
    Brian Schwatka
    Co. K 3rd US Regulars
    "Buffsticks"

Re: 53 Tower Enfield Ramrod

Dear Sir,
    I work at the Frazier Historical Arms Museum In Louisville Ky, we have the honor of being the only museum outside of the UK to have any of the Royal Armouries (Tower of London) items on any permant type of loan. All of our P53 Enfields have the normal style of ramrods. If you wish send me a Pm and I can get you in touch with our conservation department for an answer.
    John Britton

Comment

If it's one of the first examples of the new rifle, could they have just been using up old parts? Just a thought.

Comment

Didn't type 1's have the button head ramrod?

Ben Grant

Founder and sole member of the Funnel Cake Mess

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

Herr Ben is correct.

Briefly, when one says "P1853," there are four models.
          The 1st Model has a "button" ramrod, the change to the more "familiar Enfield style" comng with the 2nd.
          Assuming the gun observed was not a 1st Model... (or 2nd Model as there was a mixing of parts such as rear sights and ramrods from the 1st and 2nd).
          As with many museum collections I have seen, one sometimes finds items that are not all as they should be. Sometimes that is the state of the arm when it was purchased, donated by a family,, etc., or otherwise coming into the collection.
          Sometimes, it is the result of "caretakers" and/or "curators" not being fully knowledgeable on the specimen, taking things apart for cleaning for example, and not getting them back together- such as bands being upside down, or backwards; rear sights mounted backwards (guns with backwards rearsights so noted such as some M1822 conversions; missing parts replaced from "close looking and close enough" parts' boxes; etc.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Thanks all. The photos in the link provided showed exactly what I saw with the ramrod. I even think the card did say first model will look back at the tower book I purchased.

Thanks again
            Brian Schwatka
            Co. K 3rd US Regulars
            "Buffsticks"

Comment

Working...
            X