William Harrison Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• William Harrison Jacket

Has anyone seen or had access to the Tait Jacket worn by William Harrison of the 2nd Md inf?
    I believe its on display in a Maryland Museum,my question is does it have a solid coloured collar or is it piped ? and what is the colour,red or blue?
    If anyone has any info,or a photo, it would be much appreciated.
    Dave Burt 18th VA ACWS UK
    David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Re: William Harrison Jacket

Comrade,

The last time I saw the jacket, it was in the Maryland Historical Society in Baltimore. I saw the jacket more than 20 years ago, and have since lost my notes, but I can say for certain that the trim was blue. I BELIEVE that the trim was piping, rather than a solid color, but I may be mistaken, because of the number of years since I last saw it.
    Your best bet would be to enquire of the MHS. I contacted them last week regarding this jacket, but they have yet to return my call. I suspect that it may be awhile.
    Respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Ross Kimmel's article in MC&H (Winter 1989) on Uniiforms of the 2nd MD describes it as having "a royal blue collar and no shoulder straps."

Bob Williams
      Reilly's NC Btty
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks Gentlemen,
        Thats the info I was looking for.
        Many thanks
        Dave Burt Co G 18th VA inf
        American Civil War Society UK www.acws.co.uk
        David Burt, Co Author "Suppliers to the Confederacy: British Imported Arms and Accoutrements" "Suppliers to the Confederacy II: S. Isaac Campbell & Co, London - Peter Tait & Co, Limerick, Out Now

Comment

Go to this site and click "Uniform Coats" on the menu to see some great pictures and descriptions of ANV uniform coats, including the Harrison jacket.

Bob Williams
          Reilly's NC Btty
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot
            http://www.geocities.com/maryland_2nd_company_h/

Go to this site and click "Uniform Coats" on the menu to see some great pictures and descriptions of ANV uniform coats, including the Harrison jacket.

Bob Williams
            Reilly's NC Btty
            Thanks much for sharing that Bob. I had a feeling someone was out there!

Per the thread started by Mr. Vogel back on 8/19, and regarding the Harrison jacket in particular-- I've heard this blue collar trim described as "Prussian Blue". However, I do not know if this is either a correct or period description, or what material(s) currently on the market might best apply if one were to replicate that particular jacket. Any thoughts?

Rich Croxton
            Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Working...
            X