Mobile Depot Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mobile Depot Jacket

I recently saw a mobil depot jacket that is everything I have ever wanted in a confederate coat. I saw it on the cotton city tailors website and I know it is correct for the western theater, but is it correct for the eastern ANV theater?

Answers welcome,

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached
    The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Re: Mobile Depot Jacket

Hampton

This jacket is also know as the "Mystery Jacket"....because there isnt allot know about it other than it may have been made in Mobile.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hi,

You are likely talking about the Mobile Depot (square front) jacket on the "CCT" site. Yes, it's very nice and I've also considered getting one as well. However, if your impression is primarily Army of Northern Virginia I would recommend you stick with a Richmond Depot-style jacket or something identified to a depot definitely known to supplied items to ANV units.

Of course, it's certainly not out of the realm of possibility that some Western depot items might have filtered into Eastern units (e.g., jackets and trousers issued to Longstreet's troops while they served in Georgia and Tennessee) but I would suggest sticking with what the preponderance of evidence indicates.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I thought about that but I never cared much for the richmond depots

thanks,

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Back in 1981 Chris Schreiber and 2 others formed the 3rd Alabama. They did so because "they saw in a back issue of the Men at Arms magazine that had a photo of a 7 button front,balloon sleeved uniform jacket with a single left side slash pocket identified to a member of the 3rd Alabama".That picture helped them make the decision to form the 3rd Alabama because " atleast we know what they wore". That Description sounds like a Mobile Depot AKA Mystery Jacket to me. I have never seen the magazine they saw this picture in. I wanted to post this in hopes one of you may have some old issues around and can post this picture. I would love to see a copy of it or any other documentable evidence of this coat in the ANV.
          John Greenfield

GawdAwful Mess [url]www.gawdawfulmess.com[/url]

Comment

Bud,
            You should go after what is correct for the impression, not what looks kewl. Research, documentation and actually giving a damn is what seperates this part of the hobby from the rest.
            Patrick Landrum
            Independent Rifles

Comment

Let's focus your search a little bit: Are you portraying a specific unit or are you trying something "generic?" This can make a world of difference.

To piggyback on what another individual mentioned previously, half the battle in reenacting is overcoming your personal desires and sticking with what was actually done (at least within a reasonable doubt). You are portraying people who thought like you, in some ways, and very differently than you in others. What seems "right" or "correct" to you may have been incomprehensible to them in the context of the age they lived in. To most soldiers, "a jacket was a jacket"; they cared little about where it came from (unless it was from home!) as long as it fit them reasonably well and did the function for which it was intended.

I felt the same way about my field jacket that was issued to me when I was in the Marines: I didn't give two hoots about where it came from as long as it looked decent and kept me warm during those long, lonely nights out in "The Bush."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I just like the outside pocket, shame its not authentic,

thanks,
                Last edited by modelf85; 08-22-2004, 08:16 PM.

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

once again, go with what is right for the impression, not what you think is cool, and if that means getting a richmond depot, then get it

Mike Ray
                  Ruff n' Readys

Comment

Originally posted by modelf85
                    I thought about that but I never cared much for the richmond depots

thanks,
                    Maybe you should portray the Army of Tennessee, and wear Western Depot jackets such as the Columbus, Demopolis, and Mobile in all their outside pocket glory.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

Comment

Demopolis Jacket? Never heard of that

Also, once you research you're unit you may be able to find some diversity in what they were issued. Though Richmond Depot's were the most common jackets in the ANV, they weren't the only ones. Do some research on the unit you're attempting to portray, then decide on what jacket to wear
                      Andrew Donovan
                      Livonia, MI
                      5th Texas Co. E
                      Medich Battalion
                      Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

Demopolis Depot....also known as "Dept. of Alabama". If a pocket is going to be the deciding factor in your purchase why not go with a non-descript shell jacket with an outside pocket or a frock coat with a pocket? Or better yet get a civilian sack coat with a pocket.
                        James K. Masson

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyBoyDonovan
                          Demopolis Jacket? Never heard of that
                          Also know as the Department of Alabama Jacket.

Robert Johnson

Comment

OK, now I know what it is.

That's one thing I've never really understood. Most of the names we use for the jackets seem to me that they are modern-day terms, and I've always been curious as to what different styles of jackets were refered to by the soliders, if they had special names at all.
                            Andrew Donovan
                            Livonia, MI
                            5th Texas Co. E
                            Medich Battalion
                            Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyBoyDonovan
                              OK, now I know what it is.

That's one thing I've never really understood. Most of the names we use for the jackets seem to me that they are modern-day terms, and I've always been curious as to what different styles of jackets were refered to by the soliders, if they had special names at all.

All of the names of these jackets are modern decriptions, and in some cases the names are tenative due to the fact that there is not definant provinance on some of these garments.

What would the men have called the different jackets at the time? To them it was just a coat/jacket, and they probably did not know if it was made in Columbus, Atlanta or Richmond....and they probably didnt care even if they did.
                              Robert Johnson

Comment

Working...
                              X