Mobile Depot Jacket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mobile Depot Jacket

I know richmond depots were the most common for ANV with out a doubt, but I gave it some thought last night and it came to mind that there were Alabama and Mississippi units in the Anv and at least some of them might have been clad in that uniform, maybe, just maybe :sarcastic hmmmmm and then they could have seeped into the ANV and then Virginia guys could have got them of their dead compadre from an alabama company but well thats just my mind workin :D

In all seriousness, I will give the Depots a thought and thanks for all your help,

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached
    The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by modelf85
      I know richmond depots were the most common for ANV with out a doubt, but I gave it some thought last night and it came to mind that there were Alabama and Mississippi units in the Anv and at least some of them might have been clad in that uniform, maybe, just maybe :sarcastic hmmmmm and then they could have seeped into the ANV and then Virginia guys could have got them of their dead compadre from an alabama company but well thats just my mind workin :D

In all seriousness, I will give the Depots a thought and thanks for all your help,
      More than likely not. You have to understand the way the depot system worked. Let's say if a brigade needed new uniforms...well that request would work it's way up the chain of command until it reached the Quartermaster General in Richmond. The QM Gen. would then send the request to the depot that was closest to the men that needed to be re-fitted. That depot would supply the soldiers (someone correct if I'm wrong). So, as you can see, a depot in Alabama (supposedly) would not supply men that were in Virginia even if they were from Alabama or Mississippi. Also, this jacket (Mobile Depot) is believed to be a late war issue. So, as everyone else has told you, as far as we can tell (from the current research) this jacket IS NOT correct for an ANV impression.
      James K. Masson

Comment

thanks for all your help and I think I just found a richmond depot II from http://www.kabar44.com/

which looks really good so thank you guys,

P.S. I now understand the Depot system

Hampton Cokeley

Private for life

Unattached
        The Citadel, The Military College of South Carolina

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Hampton,

As far as exterior pockets on jackets go, you may be in luck with a Richmond Depot. KC MacDonald of the Lazy Jacks mess has done some great uniform studies, some of which are accessible vis-a-vis the LJ's website and others which he has not publicly posted. KC also has an impressive collection of period images, at least one of which (if my memory serves me correctly) shows a Richmond Depot jacket with an exterior pocket. Moreover, I believe that KC indicated the pocket looked issued rather than field-added.

I'll attempt to lure him this way as he may be able to add a few more details and correct any errors of omission that I may have added.

Kind regards,

Fred Baker
          Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

The Les Jensen article on Confederate depot jackets has an interesting section at the end about western depot jackets on ANV soldiers. There are several pictures of ANV veterans and soldiers wearing what appear to be Columbus depot jackets. Interesting, but there is no definite evidence to prove it. Like others said, stick to whats definetly correct.
            Derek Carpenter
            Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Working...
            X