Interesting Photo: Ambulance Corps + Insignia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Interesting Photo: Ambulance Corps + Insignia

Here is the left part of the image which I have been cropping out due to size and lack of focus. Yes, there are boxing.

John Novicki
    Co. C, 2nd U.S.S.S.

Comment

[QUOTE=verg]...
      D - ... what is he wearing on his head? ...QUOTE]

Is "D" wearing a John F. Whipple hat with the brim turned up? Bottom of page 177 EOG-AEOU!
      :wink_smil[font=Comic Sans MS][size=4][i]Ron Travis[/i][/size][/font]
      [i][font=Comic Sans MS][size=3]Civil War Preservation Trust[/size][/font][/i]

Comment

The dude with the tucked in blouse and Bowery Boys hat looks to be wearing an "SNY" belt plate.

Bob Williams
        Reilly's NC Btty
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I have extracted interesting sections from the above image, as well another image of this same unit made about the same time (notice the same wagons in the background) for your edification and perusal.

Dare I speculate that one or more of the men shown are wearing the elusive "knit shirts" reportedly issued to Federal troops? You be the judge.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM.
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Comrades,

You know, this image was taken during the same time period (april 1863) that he took the images of the 110th PA Infantry (De Trobriand's Brigade, 3rd Corps). Those are the images that folks keep saying are the 16th Maine, or some other unit. He took a couple images of them as a regiment in line of battle, from the ends, and one can plainly see the general guides with their guidon/marker flags, etc. He took an image of "C" company from the 110th as well. It's the one that has the drummer in a grey slouch hat of some sort, and all of the interesting discrepencies in clothing and equipment. Guys with no breastlate, one guy with a huge cap brim, another with what looks like huge eyeglasses, etc. I don't have the image nearby or I would post it here.

As to the actual folks in the posted image, these were members of the "Engineer Brigade" which was attached to the AOP HQ group. The unit, according to the most recent data I have, which is the 30 June 1863 muster rolls, consisted of 1131 men under the command of Brigadier General Henry Benham. The brigade consisted of 2 co's of the 15th NY Engineers. the 50th NY Engineers, and the US Battalion of Engineers. That, of course, would explain the SNY buckle(s).
            respects,
            Last edited by 1stMaine; 08-26-2004, 12:42 PM.
            Tim Kindred
            Medical Mess
            Solar Star Lodge #14
            Bath, Maine

Comment

Originally posted by ephraim_zook
              Hi

I'm not sure that man "D" is wearing a regular sack coat. Notice that the buttons are closer together than those on the other sack coats pictured, and that all four buttons are above his waist.

Ron Myzie
              That is definately a blouse he's wearing. It looks as if he has added buttons which was a common practice. Another neato detail of this image.

Comment

During the Chancellorsville Campaign, the engineering contingent of the AOP consisted of about 1700 men, 300 regulars and roughly 700 men each in the 15th and 50th New York Engineers. Their ambulance corps was probably a conglomerate of men from all three of these units. Most clearly have that "volunteer" look!

Bob Williams
                Reilly's NC BTTY
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Working...
                X