Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The "Correct" Shoulder Arms

Originally posted by Greg Renault
    The CS case is less clear, though personally I find Walden/Dal Bello's argument more convincing than Dusty Chapman's.
    Review of regimental order books at the National Archives (RG's 94 and 109) might shed further light on this question.

Brown's/Palmer's Brigade, which included the 23rd (Newman's) TN BN as well as the 3rd, 18th, 26th, 32nd, and 45th TN regiments definitely used Hardee by early 1863. This fact can be established with certainty since a regimental general order by Colonel Ed. C. Cook specifically stated that officers and NCOs were to conduct daily "recitations" according to "Hardees tactics." Other orders by brigade commander Jno. C. Brown, and even corps commander Wm. J. Hardee himself, make it clear that use of Hardee (and it's accompanying manual of arms) was effectively standardized by late winter 1862/3. Indeed, Hardee issued orders on at least one occasion that he would personally observe, and critique, officers down to the company level as they performed drill according to a predetermined list of maneuvers. I, for one, wouldn't have wanted to be an officer who flunked such a test....

What intrigues me is that, for example, the 32nd TN began the war armed with Model 1816 flintlock muskets. Use of such arms suggests it initially used Scott's work (including its manual of arms) and then switched over to Hardee once the regiment conducted its post-Donelson POW reorganization in September 1862.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Re: The "Correct" Shoulder Arms

Evolution, it happend in grand tactics, it did so in weapons and gear...I would venture to guess it did so as well in drill. Only common sense.

I will say, as before, that I do not believe one manual is good for the entire War. I enjoy 1861-1862 Gilham's, it is my personal favorite manual, but Hardee's Revised has some great things as well, and IMHO is much more time efficient and practical. Without proof either way, we do one pre Gburg, and one post Gburg. Probably not 100% right, but it is as close as we can determine.

And many units I am sure did a mixture of both.....look at the Veterans doing MoA in the old films......good lord!

Pards,
      S. Chris Anders

"Authenticity Glorifies the Campaign"

Comment

Working...
      X