Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding a Housewife

Hello All,
    Before I ask my question. I did try a search first before writing this haha. So here we go, any suggestions where I can pick up a original housewife? I found a good one at the Union Drummer Boy in G-burg but the price is alittle high. Any other places that are good?

Your Servant,
    K.J. Reihl
    [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"]Kenneth J. Reihl[/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
    [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Re: Finding a Housewife

I did see several housewives for sale at the Mansfield (Ohio) Civil War Show in May of this year. If you have access to any collector shows, take a look there. If you got the money and time it can be worth the trip. However, even if you dont buy anything going to assorted collector shows have been educational.
    Todd Morris

Proprietor, Morris & Company Historical Clothiers

http://morrisclothiers.com

Canton Lodge #60 F&AM Canton, Ohio

In Memorium: Pvt. Simon Morris, Co. G, 78th OVI Died: April 14, 1863 Jefferson Barracks, Missouri
    Joseph Rezin Thompson, 1st W.Va. Light Artillery
    Azville W. Lindsey, Co. G, 12th W.Va. Volunteer Infantry

Comment

Thanks,
      I think I will give it a shot. I have driven down to Gettysburg and gotten a great look at about 7 that were on display and Abs Lady Sutlery had a few of them for sale. But nothing like the ones I want. I make a few housewives myself thAt I sell but I now want one in my collection. I thank you so much for your information Sir.

Your Humble Servant,
      K.J. Reihl

Originally posted by Canton Zouave
      I did see several housewives for sale at the Mansfield (Ohio) Civil War Show in May of this year. If you have access to any collector shows, take a look there. If you got the money and time it can be worth the trip. However, even if you dont buy anything going to assorted collector shows have been educational.
      [SIZE="3"][COLOR="DimGray"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]12th Alabama Infantry, Company C[/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Comment

Browse your local fleamarkets, antique stores, etc, and you might just turn up something worth buying.

I recall seeing one (vastly overpriced in my opinion) at the Ann Arbor show a few months ago, and I've seen smaller, slightly cheaper ones at various stores around the midwest.
        Just keep your eyes peeled and something will eventually turn up.

Best,
        Katie Vogel

Comment

Thank you...

Your Most Humble Servant,
          K.J. Reihl

Originally posted by Kate Vogel
          Browse your local fleamarkets, antique stores, etc, and you might just turn up something worth buying.

I recall seeing one (vastly overpriced in my opinion) at the Ann Arbor show a few months ago, and I've seen smaller, slightly cheaper ones at various stores around the midwest.
          Just keep your eyes peeled and something will eventually turn up.

Best,

Comment

Originally posted by amazingkenneth
            Hello All,
            Before I ask my question. I did try a search first before writing this haha. So here we go, any suggestions where I can pick up a original housewife? I found a good one at the Union Drummer Boy in G-burg but the price is alittle high. Any other places that are good?

Your Servant,
            K.J. Reihl
            My advice would be to first educate yourself and then hit ebay. There are lots listed. I've picked up a few and I know of others who have scored big.

Comment

Comrades,

The above advice regarding ebay is very true. If one is knowledgeable about a certain item or items, and has a modicum of patience, then it's possible to find some very nice articles. Occasionally, it's akin to picking the fly specks out of the pepper, but none the less it's possible to find what you are looking for if you are educated, diligent, and patient. Above all, set a ceiling price for yourself and DO NOT go above it, however tempting it may be to do so. I have found, through personal experience, that if you are able to wait for it, the item will come to you at the price you are willing to pay.
              Respects,
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
              X