Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kibbler pack dimensions or pattern

Hold Up,

So are you saying that the Stovall pack is at the MOC? If this is true (and I'm not saying it isn't), why hasn't my search turned up anything?

Any help to clear this up would be most apprieciated

Originally posted by 3alabama
    The Stovall pack and the Pace pack seem to be very similer. I have a pack in my collection that is also very similer to these 2 packs. I am headed to the MOC tomorrow to view these things and get the write up sheets.My main objective for going was to compare my pack with the Pace & Stovall packs. Unfortunatly getting into the collection room is out as they have been without power and lights for 4 days from the hurricane. They have asked me to reschedule my appointment. I am going to look at these packs in october since this weekend is out. I will post info on them in october after I personaly veiw them
    Andrew Donovan
    Livonia, MI
    5th Texas Co. E
    Medich Battalion
    Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyBoyDonovan
      Hold Up,

So are you saying that the Stovall pack is at the MOC? If this is true (and I'm not saying it isn't), why hasn't my search turned up anything?

I assume that you are referring to the pack that belonged to George Stovall, Co. G, Eighth Ga. and was picked up on the 1st Manassas battlefield? If so, yes it is (or was, at least).

I haven't been to Richmond in years but the last time I was there it was one of the first things you would see. Note the initials R.L.G. (Rome Light Guards).
      Marlin Teat
      [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

Originally posted by PrettyBoyDonovan
        Hold Up,

Hi Andrew,
        Unless they have been recently moved or possibly are out on loan, George Stovall's knapsack and tin drum canteen reside in the MOC in Richmond. His relatives retrieved these items, along with his body on Matthews Hill after the battle, and later donated them to the museum. They also placed a stone marker where he fell. I have often wondered if one of the so-called first Confederate dead photoghaphed on Matthews Hill in the American Heritage book was Stovall. One of them appears to have an overcoat on, and his trowsers are actually bloused too.

Rich Croxton

PS> Your payment for the CS blanket just arrived and I'll try to get it out to you today.
        Last edited by Gallinipper; 09-03-2004, 11:08 AM.
        Rich Croxton

"I had fun. How about you?" -- In memory of Charles Heath, 1960-2009

Comment

Originally posted by Gallinipper
          Hi Andrew,
          Unless they have been recently moved or possibly are out on loan, George Stovall's knapsack and tin drum canteen reside in the MOC in Richmond. His relatives retrieved these items, along with his body on Matthews Hill after the battle, and later donated them to the museum. They also placed a stone marker where he fell. I have often wondered if one of the so-called first Confederate dead photoghaphed on Matthews Hill in the American Heritage book was Stovall. One of them appears to have an overcoat on, and his trowsers are actually bloused too.

Rich Croxton

PS> Your payment for the CS blanket just arrived and I'll try to get it out to you today.

I know this is a little off topic but since you mentioned Stovall's marker I thought I would bring it up. Several weeks ago I posted a message about vandalism at Myrtle Hill Cemetery in Rome, Georgia. George Stovall's grave was among the most heavily damaged. Thankfully most of the damage has been repaired and the monuments restored and the vandals caught.
          Marlin Teat
          [I]“The initial or easy tendency in looking at history is to see it through hindsight. In doing that, we remove the fact that living historical actors at that time…didn’t yet know what was going to happen. We cannot understand the decisions they made unless we understand how they perceived the world they were living in and the choices they were facing.”[/I]-Christopher Browning

Comment

The Museum of The Confederacy has a work sheet on ech of the following knapsacks: Skoval,Pace and Kibler. These are work sheets not patterns.

The Museum asks that you not reproduce the worksheet without permission. The worksheets are an original production of the Museum so there is little question that they own them. They make no request concerning reproduction of the item.

Tom Czekanski
            Thomas Czekanski

Comment

Working...
            X