Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USMC Contract Bid Solicitation

Greetings,

For whoever is interested, here is a USMC uniform and equipment bid notice, scanned into Adobe pdf, originally published in the 5 November 1864 "United States Army & Navy Journal." This is just one of several that appeared from August 1863 onward. My favorite part of this notice is the request for issue blankets to be "free from grease." As a former Marine, I can tell you things haven't changed all that much since 1864 when it comes to that.... I chopped off a little bit of the notice at the very end but it was nothing particularly important.

Please note this file is very large (1.6 megs).

Enjoy,

Mark Jaeger
    Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM.
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: USMC Contract Bid Solicitation

No, some things never change...

None the less, two neat things I note.

The fife's are specifically in the key of B (if I read that correctly).

Also, all these years I have been calling them cartridge box "tins". This order refers to them as "magazines".
    Ben Grant

Founder and sole member of the Funnel Cake Mess

Comment

Originally posted by buckandball
      Also, all these years I have been calling them cartridge box "tins". This order refers to them as "magazines".
      "Tins" is a correct period term, so you weren't wrong.
      Bob Clayton
      [url=http://www.sykesregulars.org]Co. C, 2nd U.S. Infantry, "Sykes Regulars"[/url]
      Honoring the proud history and traditions of the U.S. Army
      [url=http://home.comcast.net/~coffeeboiler/sykes_pics.htm]Photo Gallery[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by buckandball
        No, some things never change...

None the less, two neat things I note.

The fife's are specifically in the key of B (if I read that correctly).

Greetings,

Hard to say on the fifes. I suspect they actually refer to B-FLAT fifes, which is a traditionally used key.

As for "magazines," this is the first I've ever seen the term used although, being a former Marine myself (1975-1980), we both know there's "a right way, a wrong way, and a MARINE WAY" when referring to equipment......

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by markj
          Greetings,

.....we both know there's "a right way, a wrong way, and a MARINE WAY" when referring to equipment......

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Friggin' Jarheads!!!!!!

:D
          Brian Hicks
          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

Working...
          X