Split canteen strap IMAGE.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Split canteen strap IMAGE.

Can someone point me in the direction of a clear image of a split canteen strap, original or reprduction.

Looked here too...http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ht=split+strap

Thanks in advance.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Re: Split canteen strap IMAGE.

There is an original in the collection of the GNMP. It is currently on display in their "canteen window." The dim lights do not allow for good flash-less photos and flash photography is not allowed (and wouldn't work with the glass anyway). It is one of the things I want to look at when the "off" season comes around and the display items can be viewed in detail.
    Brian Koenig
    SGLHA
    Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Paging Neill Rose!
      [SIZE=1]Neal W. Sexton[/SIZE]

Comment

Garrison,

I have a Confederate one from an old Gettysburg relic board. Contact me at tobeyje@aol.com

John Tobey

Comment

Here are extracted sections from one of the Alsop Farm death studies.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
          Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM.
          Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Arr! Mark, you beat me to it by about two minutes! :tounge_sm If only I didn't go into the kitchen to get a donut...
            Jason R. Wickersty
            http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
            Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
            Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
            Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
            Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Originally posted by Thehos Gendar
              Arr! Mark, you beat me to it by about two minutes! :tounge_sm If only I didn't go into the kitchen to get a donut...
              Actually, I'd rather have that jelly doughnut...... :tounge_sm

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
              Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Any possibility that the split strap is a variant Federal pattern vs. being of Confederate origin? I'm aware the Alsop photos. Just curious if anyone has seen something similar on a Fed. What's the provenence of the Gettysburg canteen?

Bob Williams
                Reilly's NC Btty
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Can you send the image alone to me at Tidelands Archaeology, Tidelands@ec.rr.com ? The attachment will not load for me ...says I'm authorized to use the A/C.

Better yet can anyone sketch a diagram of how they looked and fit?

Thank you
                  Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 09-08-2004, 12:31 PM.
                  B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

The Gettysburg canteen provenance is unknown to me a this point as I have not been able to view the object in detail and ask questions about the item, however the split strap it has is different from the one shown in the photo.

The split strap in the photo seems to be of two pieces of different width leather, connected with a knapsack button?

The one at Gettysburg is two pieces of uniform width leather with a slit cut into each end and the the ends looped through each other.

Sometimes I wonder (given how awfully common spheroid canteens show up in CS images) that the Confederates were not producing them themselves and not relying on purely captured equipment.
                    Brian Koenig
                    SGLHA
                    Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Here's the full image.

http://memory.loc.gov/service/pnp/cwpb/01100/01187v.jpg

Spotsylvania Court House, Va., vicinity. Body of another Confederate soldier near Mrs. Alsop's house].

O'Sullivan, Timothy H., 1840-1882, photographer.

CREATED/PUBLISHED
                      [1864 May]

SUMMARY
                      Photograph from the main eastern theater of war, Grant's Wilderness Campaign, May-June 1864.

NOTES
                      Reference: Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 / compiled by Hirst D. Milhollen and Donald H. Mugridge, Washington, D.C. : Library of Congress, 1977. No. 0298

Title from Milhollen and Mugridge. Forms part of Selected Civil War photographs, 1861-1865 (Library of Congress)
                      Attached Files
                      Paul Calloway
                      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
                      Proud Member of the GHTI
                      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
                      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Now, let me plant this thought in your head: do you suppose these split-strap slings might have also been put into use as suspenders?

Take a look at these images showing what are clearly leather, slotted suspenders. You be the judge.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
                        Last edited by markj; 06-04-2007, 03:09 PM.
                        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I've had pretty good success shooting pictures in museums where they don't allow flash photography. Using a 35mm camera, high speed color or b/w film and a 24mm wide angle lens. I've taken pics using up to 1/2 second exposure with no blur. The trick is to put your lens shade right up on the glass case and carefully click the shutter.

After getting the pics back I run them through Adobe Photoshop adjusting the brightness and contrast, hit the sharpening filter and usually end up with a decent shot.

I don't have a digital camera so can't speak to using one of those.
                          Rick Keating
                          104th Illinois Vol. Inf.
                          1st Illinois Battalion

Comment

A tip here, a button there ...and I still don't know what they look like.
                            Here's to the person who shows me one.:beer_yum:
                            B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

I can provide a rough description of the one at Gettysburg but know that it will be rough.

Basically two strips of oiled russet? leather between 1/16 to 1/8 inch thick and roughly 1/2 inch wide. The length is tough to determine and I wouldn't even hazard a guess. At each end of the two strips are a slit about 1 1/2 inch long. These two lengths are joined by looping them together.

It is hard to describe how they are joined and easier to show, but alas with the canteen orientation in the display case and the lack of flash photos don't take well. But I will try next time I get up there anyway.

Also, be advised that any pseudo measurements given in this are bound to change when I actually get up close and personal with the object.
                              Brian Koenig
                              SGLHA
                              Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Working...
                              X