Parole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parole

As part of a Living History at Harpers Ferry this weekend we will be administring parole to a group of surrendering Federals.

I am trying to find whether there is any particular language required for the parole oath. I have searched the manuals and customs of service, but have yet to find anything specific. The fact that parole is to be given is quite clear, but I cannot find any particular language for the oath itself.

If anyone out there can give me any leads regarding this, I would certainly appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Robert Carter
    69th NYSV, Co. A
    justrobnj@gmail.com
    www.69thsnyv.org

Re: Parole

Rob:

There does not appear to have been a standard oath for paroling prisoners, other than a formal acknowledgement that the prisoner would keep the public peace and would not take up arms or fight again until he had been properly exchanged. Specific terms are usually set out in the surrender agreement, sometimes in special orders to the officers overseeing the parole process.

Where units were taken in large numbers, the enlisted men would be mustered, typically by company, and the commanding officer would sign the parole roll on their behalf. Each man would then be given a parole pass to allow him to either go home, or more likely, to a designated parole camp where they would sit and wait to be exchanged.

Officers typically signed separately, again giving their individual word that they would not fight again until exchanged.

Bob Sullivan offers a nice reproduction pass from Appomattox, which gives a good example of what the individual soldiers received. For the mass surrenders, triplicates of a unit roster or muster would be appropriate as the official instruments of parole.
    Tom Ezell

Comment

A few months ago, in discussing interrogation, I posted the text of the Exchange Cartel signed in '62. Article 4 gives some language you might be able to use in administering the oath Mr. Ezell refers to.

I'd be interested in how it goes -- please let us know. Thanks!
      Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Here's a copy of a parole form from Vicksburg with the text oath(I hope-first time I've tried to attach a file)

Guess that didn't work so here's the text of the oath part-

"That I will not take up arms against the United States, nor serve in any military, police, or constabulary in any Fort, Garrison or field work held by the Confederate States of America, against the United States of America, nor as guard in any prison, depot, or stores nor discharge any duties usually performed by Officers or soldiers against the United States of America, until duly exchanged by proper authority."
        Last edited by 10TnVI; 09-10-2004, 08:16 AM.
        Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Folks,

I know I'm answering my own question, but here's a copy of Robert E. Lee's Parole Oath that he signed at Appomattox. We will use a modified version of it this weekend
          We, the undersigned prisoners of war belonging to the Army of Northern Virginia, having been this day surrendered by General Robert E. Lee, C. S. Army, commanding said army, to Lieut. Gen. U. S. Grant, commanding Armies of the United States, do hereby give our solemn parole of honor that we will not hereafter serve in the armies of the Confederate States, or in any military capacity whatever, against the United States of America, or render aid to the enemies of the latter, until properly exchanged, in such manner as shall be mutually approved by the respective authorities.

Done at Appomattox Court. House, Va., this 9th day of April, 1865
          R. E. LEE,
          General
          W. H. TAYLOR,
          Lieutenant-Colonel and Assistant Adjutant-General.
          CHARLES S. VENABLE,
          CHARLES MARSHALL,
          H. E. PEYTON,
          Lieutenant-Colonel, Adjutant and Inspector General.
          GILES B. COOKE,
          Major and Assistant Adjutant and Inspector General.
          H. E. YOUNG,
          Major, Assistant Adjutant-General, and Judge. Advocate-General

The fun part was trying to translate it into five different languages (French, Italian, Spanish, Potuguese, and German).
          Last edited by JustRob; 09-10-2004, 10:55 AM.
          Robert Carter
          69th NYSV, Co. A
          justrobnj@gmail.com
          www.69thsnyv.org

Comment

Working...
          X