Munitions for Capt. Avery's Company commanding

one thousand cartridges for Hall's Breech Loading Carbine
    one thousand percussion caps for same
    one ammuntion box

Sepcial Requisition No.88

"41" Hall's Breech Loading Carbines"

Received at Corinth, May 18, 1862

Issued by Major General Ball, QM, CSA.

John W. Avery was a infantry Captian in the 17th SC Infantry, however; at one point it seemed that he formed a company of cavalry for Corinth, eventhough the 17th SC did not particpate in that campaign.

For my weapons and cavalry experts, how many Hall's Breech Loaders were ever in Southern hands? this seems like a very rare carbine for the cavalry and more rare to find a receipt of issue!
    Last edited by SCTiger; 01-26-2008, 04:10 PM.
    Gregory Deese
    Carolina Rifles-Living History Association

http://www.carolinrifles.org
    "How can you call yourself a campaigner if you've never campaigned?"-Charles Heath, R. I. P.

Re: Confederate Hall's Breech Loaders

Im not sure about numbes, but I think these were considered a second class weapon by the start of the war, so there may have been quite a few on hand at state arsenals.
    Derek Carpenter
    Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

6,242 Hall's estimated in Southern Arsenals after the fall of Sumter. There was a total of 19,870 flintlock Hall's built in Harper's Ferry by 1841. Southerners converted these arms to both percussion breechloaders, and to MUZZLE loaders. Read and Watson are estimated as having converted 900 Hall's Rifles and Carbines to muzzle-loaders. These things are really neat, if you ever get a chance to see a Read and Watson, or a Hall for that matter, as the rear sight is off set, as is the front sight/bayonet lug, so the shooter can see around the inline position of the flint battery or percussion hammer. Consequently, the bayonet itself has a contour hole that is offset to correspond with the offest front sight/bayonet lug.
      ~ Chris Hubbard
      Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
      [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Greg:

Some 4700 of them fell into Confederate hands at the Little Rock Arsenal in February, 1861. Most were flintlocks. Many seem to have gone into the hands of the 1st Arkansas Mounted Rifles, and the 9th and 10th Infantry Regiments, with others parceled out here and there. For what it's worth, you can see some of them in Don Troiani's painting of Shiloh, "Men of Arkansas."

They're sadly under-represented in the early war end of the hobby, as well as during the antebellum "Manifest Destiny" era.

Tom
        Tom Ezell

Comment

Tom,

I quite agree that they're quite scarce. Because of the questionable breech seal, I doubt any of the Italian makers would ever reproduce one, just out of liability concern. They tend to vent gas down onto the shooter's left wrist. I've gotten to fire one once, and it was a hoot. Most of the originals I've seen were not in shootable condition, even for blanks.

Cheers,

Michael
          Michael McComas
          drudge-errant

Comment

Comrades,

If you ever get up to Augusta, Maine, you should visit the Maine State Museum. They have a recreation of Hall's shop, with barrels of stocks and parts all set out on display showing them being assembled, etc. Someone went to a LOT of trouble to recreate all those barrels, breechblocks, bands, etc. If memory serves me correctly, Ordnance Park regreated the Hall's rifle and carbines back in the 1980's or so. Very limited run, I believe.

Down to Portland, Maine, you can still see the weather vane on top of the church where Hall tested his rifle for the public. Nice sized dent in the weather vane from where the ball impacted.

Respects,
            Tim Kindred
            Medical Mess
            Solar Star Lodge #14
            Bath, Maine

Comment

There are a couple places where you can get a repro made, but only if you're willing to fork over a couple grand and wait 5+ years to finally see your gun. I'd much rather spend the time saving to get a good original. There are a surprising amount out there, but the good ones aren't cheap.
              Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Working...
              X