Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 button sack coat

Chums,

While looking through the book "For Fatigue Purposes" in the back I ran accross a note saying that the GNMP collection has a sack coat ID'd to a Colonel that had been altered to have 7 buttons. Does anyone know if this coat is on display, or if its in the archives? I will be down in G-Burg in a few weeks, and would like to take a look at it, if its in the archives, if its behind glass well I guess I'll have to wait a little while longer.

Re: 7 button sack coat

Nevermid, I talked with the curator at the GNMP, the coat was on loan, and well is not there anymore :(

On another note, has anyone seen a J. Boylan Contract sack coat? I have seen several frocks made by this contractor, but no sack coats yet.

Comment

Hey Casey,

When are you going to G'burg? I was planning a family trip down there in early October. It would be cool to meet up.

Cheers,

Michael
      Michael McComas
      drudge-errant

Comment

If you get a chance to look at a lot of CDV's, seven button sack coats are not too uncommon ( I have seen several, and by the amount of CDV's I have looked at, that's a good number). Pretty easy to do too! If I get a chance I will post two pictures with seven button sack coats.
        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
        Hard Head Mess
        Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by Michael McComas
          Hey Casey,

When are you going to G'burg? I was planning a family trip down there in early October. It would be cool to meet up.

Cheers,

Michael

Mike,

I am going down Sept. 11th, and again on the 30th. Oct. will be pretty busy for me, sewing greatcoats for the guys in my group, to make sure they have them for Cedar Creek.

Comment

Casey,

If you get to see the coat, and if you can get the permission of the NPS, will you post a photo here when you return for those of us who are more than a hop, skip and jump from Gettysburg?

Thanks in advance,

Will Eichler
            Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
            Saginaw City Light Infantry
            Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
            Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
            http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
            www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Will,

I wish they still had the coat, it was on loan a couple of years ago, so they no longer have it. What I will be looking at is some CS trousers, SA infantry Jacket and whatever else I can as time allows.

Comment

Riley,

If you see any pics of soldiers with possible Ill. connection wearing grayish 7-buttons coats, especially with some funky cuff trim, let me know.

That would likely be the 'Illinois brigade uniform' meant as a reward to the 90-day units for joining up for three years.

Looks like a tunic or something.

John Pillers

P.S.
                And/or a Whipple-like hat that looks like a kepi.
                Last edited by John of the Skulkers Mess; 09-05-2006, 05:12 PM. Reason: mo info
                John Pillers
                Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

John,
                  Pretty sure they are not Illinois men. I knew to look out for that though.

Riley
                  I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
                  Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
                  Hard Head Mess
                  Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
                  Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

John,
                    Is this the type of uniform you seek? I got these two from the Dick Tibbals estate. He and Roy Mantle puzzled long and hard over them, and though unmarked it was felt they represented the Illinois Brigade. My camera is not too great on close-ups, but you get the idea.
                    Steve Sullivan
                    46th Illinois
                    Co. Mil. Hist.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Guys,

There are 2 original 7 button sack coats out there ( that we know of) the first is the one I spoke of that was on loan to GNMP and was worn by a Colonel ( not sure what regiment or his name). The other is in Pat Brown's book and was Id'd to a Sgt. Edmunds. The coat had been altered originally to have 7 buttons, but the current owner closed up 3 of them to return it to its original state. Too bad the one that was in G-burg is no longer there, I could have got some cool photo's of it to post on here.

Comment

Working...
                      X