Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sack coats for Confederates

Hi,

I would go with a Confederate wool jean kepi or a hat, rather than a Confederate forage cap, since forage caps were generally a early war issue. A good place to get a kepi or a hat is Trans-Mississippi Depot, Richmond Depot, and Dirty Billy Hats.

Andrew Kasmar
    Andrew Kasmar

Comment

I'm fairly new to CW reenacting and have not purchased a Confederate jacket (that's always the kicker) I am a native Tennessean looking to portray the AOT... What does the AC community think about a Confederate jean wool sack coat with the trademark dark French blue trim i.e. Columbus Depot style or even the Alabama Depot style? I'm still perplexed that the depots would not have made sacks and of course I realize that most homespun commutation jackets would have been well worn out by the time of a late war impression. I really want to purchase a very different looking jacket.. not just what everybody else has on the field.. BUT I know that that's exactly what most reenactors swear by.. uniformity and what can be most readily documented. I also understand that the rule of thumb is to begin my impression in such a way and if I should so choose to purchase oe make a sack coat like the one I described.. then I may at some point later depending on the event. It's just so hard. I'm a picky man with different tastes. If not this, then what about a modified/shortened frock coat with similar trim.. I guess I'd just like something with a short skirt. Any suggestions though?

I cannot wait to hear the expected.."you need to purchase a generic depot issue for your first jacket!" Forgive my ignorance.
      Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
      Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
      ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
      ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
      ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
      ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
      ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Dear Jon

Unless you have historical evidence of a sack coat with dark blue trim I would not recommend it.
        There is of course the T.V. Brooke 'sack coat/jacket', which has 4-buttons, is slightly longer in length than the typical shell (but with the same structure and body), an outer pocket and has black collar trim. There has been endless debate whether this was a late-war Virginian garment or Confederate-wide all-war style - there is a thread on this somewhere (The CS 4-Button Jacket - I think). There is no consensus on where this was made or had a depot manufacturer so you may look into this one if you want to be different. The other CS depot sack coat I can think of is the NC one...but they're early-war Va. so that cancels that out for a Tennessee impression.
        Black trim was very common on CS garments, especially in the commutation period, either added by the reciever at a later date or when sent from home.
        Of course you can bite the bullet, find an original sack-coat and make one.

PS Add you full name at the bottom your posts mate - its AC rules.
        [FONT="Georgia"][B][SIZE="3"]Paul Norris[/SIZE][/B][/FONT]
        [SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Georgia"]19th Alabama Infantry
        [url]http://www.19thal.50webs.com/[/url]
        [/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
        Backwaters 1865 - S.U.G., Company A

Comment

Paul,

Thanks for the input. Any info to direct me to the right mindset and sources helps. I'm really considering purchasing a sack style coat and adding trim to it. If anyone else out there has input about my first uniform jacket/coat, by all means comment. I will be purchasing said jacket in late July.

Thanks,

Jon Harris
          Jon Harris

Mang Rifles & Friends
          Ora pro nobis!

~ McIlvaine’s 64th Ohio Infantry at Missionary Ridge 11/2019
          ~ Head’s 49th Tennessee Infantry at Fort Donelson - Defending The Heartland 2/2020
          ~ Wever’s 10th Iowa Infantry at Bentonville 3/2020
          ~ Opdycke's 125th Ohio Infantry at Franklin, 1863 - For God and the Right 5/2020
          ~ Pardee’s 42nd Ohio Infantry during the Vicksburg Campaign 5/2020
          ~ Day's Silent Machines, 12th U.S. Regulars during the Gettysburg Campaign 6/2020

sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X